Qual Points For On Road Racing On Black Carpet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qual Points For On Road Racing On Black Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Suspended

I really dont care if its rocket or qual at this point. Looking back over the last year, if it had been qual points, I wouldn't have won Nationals as I tq'd the event on the last qual, but I would of TQ'd the Halloween race. There is a plus and minus for either.

Triple A mains is something I would like to see more than a change in format even if its 4 min A mains to compensate for the extra time.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Race19s
If you're going to a race for multiple days, are you happy that only 1 race and the main matter? If you're the fastest MF'r in the building, why cant you back up that fastest Rocket round?
Exactly and makes a guy earn the spot and not get lucky one round i mean if your truly that good to be on top why can't you do it more than once? And I believe it better evens the field on skill level because it's a resort each round have good run move up with faster guys the top of the field is usually the same guys no matter what format is used
Old 01-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Race19s
If you're going to a race for multiple days, are you happy that only 1 race and the main matter? If you're the fastest MF'r in the building, why cant you back up that fastest Rocket round?
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
If qual points are so great, then why is there a throw out? If you really want qual points, all rounds should count or throw the best AND worst runs out. This throwing out of a bad round does away with the qual point philosophy and in my opinion "consistency" has not been rewarded. In the end, I race and accept whatever the director says, lol.
Throwing out one in the case of using first random sort as seeding only makes sense as you may have been unlucky to get in a heat of lower main drivers and not get a solid good run also if you happen to break and miss on round like I did you will still end up within a few spots instead of the bottom it's essentially like having a six race series and dropping one race for end result allows you to not drop to the bottom because you couldn't make one race
Old 01-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
If qual points are so great, then why is there a throw out? If you really want qual points, all rounds should count or throw the best AND worst runs out. This throwing out of a bad round does away with the qual point philosophy and in my opinion "consistency" has not been rewarded. In the end, I race and accept whatever the director says, lol.
Im not saying they are the greatest, or that they worst. Simply stating that If you're the fastest guy at a race, having to lay 1 more round down shouldn't be so hard.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Qual points worked great at this race. The crew did a good job all weekend and the racing was excellent.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Everyone got faster as the weekend went on. Some more then others. Be it car prep or track conditions or both. But the fastest in each class rose to the top, qual points or not.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
I really dont care if its rocket or qual at this point. Looking back over the last year, if it had been qual points, I wouldn't have won Nationals as I tq'd the event on the last qual, but I would of TQ'd the Halloween race. There is a plus and minus for either.

Triple A mains is something I would like to see more than a change in format even if its 4 min A mains to compensate for the extra time.
4m mains! yes! 1-2m less for me to blow out in!
combine qual points + shorter races + more mains + (my add) lower voltage == racing great again
Old 01-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

"In order to finish first, you must first finish"

I'm thinking qualification should be based fastest LAST lap. That way it really eliminates the need for consistency and also eliminates the whole rocket round situation.

It also eliminates the motor and battery wars....The initial hot laps generated by over peaking or this weeks hot motor are somewhat nullified after 5-8 minutes.

Also, you cant run one hot lap and blow out 2 minutes in - you do have to finish the heat. Then whoever has the fastest last lap is TQ.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sir Loin

I'm thinking qualification should be based fastest LAST lap. That way it really eliminates the need for consistency and also eliminates the whole rocket round situation.

It also eliminates the motor and battery wars....The initial hot laps generated by over peaking or this weeks hot motor are somewhat nullified after 5-8 minutes.

Also, you cant run one hot lap and blow out 2 minutes in - you do have to finish the heat. Then whoever has the fastest last lap is TQ.
First and foremost someone said ETS is not qual points. I have been watching it since day 1. Every race is qual points.

now to address the quote above. Bad day to lay off huffing glue?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lol, Larry needs to post more.. im in favor of qual points since it upsets Cheng and he stays home in protest
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

When was the last time you looked at the results of a qual-points race and thought to yourself "Damn, that guy has NO business being in the main!"

Never. Because with qual-points, you have two variables in which one must be competent to rise to the top, not just one. You have to be fast and consistent.

Now, how many times can you think of where you are out-qualified by some guy you know you are faster than because they performed better than you in the magical mystery round? I'd render a guess that we have all experienced this at least a handful of times.

Therefore, if you weigh the pros and cons, you really can't make an argument against qual-points that is based on the skill or worthiness of a competitor who is in the A-main. Will there be some dudes worthy of being in it who miss out? Yeah, absolutely. There always are regardless of qualifying format. But will there be someone who sneaks in by chance who doesn't belong? No. Never.

You can argue that qual-points are more confusing or they cause less spectacular driving, but at the end of the day we are trying to measure one's ability to perform throughout a race program. If your track stays the same throughout the event, great; run rocket round. But if there is even the slightest bit of deviation, it should be qual-points every time. Otherwise, why even have a multi-day event? You might as well have a day of open practice and whoever turns the fastest single lap is declared the victor.

In the para-phrased words of Sebastian Vettel: "Honestly! What are we doing here? Racing? Or rolling dice in a rocket round?"
Old 01-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 01-24-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Forgot how to computer.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sir Loin

You may as well just require batteries to only be charged to 7.8V and the competitor only does a single lap, if the only lap that is measured is their last lap. You'd just get a bunch of people driving slow for most of the 'race' to conserve batteries, tires and temps if they knew only their last lap counted.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
First and foremost someone said ETS is not qual points. I have been watching it since day 1. Every race is qual points.

now to address the quote above. Bad day to lay off huffing glue?
This could actually benefit your mentioned driving style, since you claim to blow out a lot. Basically, you would cruise around for some time finding your line and warming up, then ramp up to your final lap. Very relaxed, enjoyable way to spend a few minutes followed by a crescendo to frantic pace final lap.

its pretty much a nascar and F1 model for qualifying..

Last edited by Sir Loin; 01-24-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: bad day to lay off huffing CA
Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You may as well just require batteries to only be charged to 7.8V and the competitor only does a single lap, if the only lap that is measured is their last lap. You'd just get a bunch of people driving slow for most of the 'race' to conserve batteries, tires and temps if they knew only their last lap counted.
All good points to consider in our new qualifying methodology. Do you think there is a good way to prevent these or solve them up front?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.