Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

rjl ran one at our local track Yesterday..... I had a drive at the end of the day, very different to my MTX2. I found you could drive it as aggresively as like without concern about it letting go. Corner transition is also very good!
Old 11-17-2002, 02:49 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

The car's good Joss but yesterday it was just an understeering pig.
This will improve.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by muugen
What is the anti-squat adjustment on the rear ? is this another term for something else like droop or bump or rebound
Elvis

Anti-squat means rear end not being squat down that much when under accelarate

TL
Old 11-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Ahh I see, thanks for that ! - on my old kyosho spider you could adjust one end of the hinge pin up or down like that
Old 11-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I have been thinking about getting the mtx-3. But i have acouple questions about it. Do you have to make your own receiver batt. pack for it or can you use a flat or hump pack? Number 2 i heard that you only can use the wheels that Mugen has for it. Is that true. Thanks for any help you can give.
Chris
Old 11-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

uhhhh, dude, you're a newbie right??? I thought I was a newbie...

No you dont have to make your own pack. Mugen makes two especially for it. Furthermore, I think you can use standard hump and flat 5 cell packs too. And yes you can use any tires. Go check Mugen's site or read this thread from the beginning. Or you can go to Mugen's online conference. You can access it at Mugen's Japan site. That's probably a more direct source of info for Mugen cars. Furthermore, if your a newbie, buy something else. Buy an RTR that lets you upgrade to a racer. Dont bother trying to buy the latest and greatest.

Last edited by calimassive; 11-17-2002 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

CHRISTOP- mtx 3 uses triple a batteries so it can fit under tank.Cant use a hump or 5 stick pak.It takes all tires i believe".I think the talk earlier was that it will take up to a 30mm foam tire in back with no rubbing on the suspension parts like on the mtx2.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:28 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

The battery is specific, 5 AAA cells in 3+2 configuration.
Standard GRP rims will not fit!
Kawahara and Active rims will fit as an alternative to the new MTX3 rims, not sure about any others.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by ME-student
InitialD: the final ratio you mentioned can be achieved even on MTX-2.. i don't think those gears are widely ava in US though..
GPM offers a 42teeth spur

i know because Ah10 on this forum has using them for a long time.

MTX-3 can also get a final of 4.83 by using 22/42 on 2nd gear..

i do not know if this is enough for the track in Ohio, but just want to show that it is possible...
Tha ratio should be enough for tracks like in Ohio. And like I said earlier, I don't think a 42T spur will solve the problem either...

But I'm puzzled, how is 22/42 going to give you a 4.83 final ratio? I thought the final ratio itself is a product of the ratio of the 22/43 gearing together with the internal ratio. That's how the final ratio of 5.431 is achieved. I believe you need a spur of at least 38T (i.e. 22T/38T) or a 25T pinion (i.e. 25T/43T) to be able to reach a final ratio of 4.83.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Manticore
I think the gearing issue has been resolved?

Just cannot believe why people can drag on it over and over
Because some people seem to be avoiding the problem making it seemed like it never existed...
Old 11-17-2002, 10:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jason102276
i have been told the internal ratio was changed slightly and if you look at parts listing for mtx-3 on nitrohouse the size pinions are 15,16,17 first and 19,20,21 second they did used to make a 15 the spur sizes are also smaller so i believe the internal ratio changed and the pinion and spurs changed also to keep the overall numbers about the same as long as a couple more pinions we would be able to adjust to any kind of track layout even one as big as ohio where i have been and it was true the car was maxed out half way down straight and other cars were cruising past but now that im home i am as fast as anyone else
I think there's more to it than changing pinions. Theoretically, it's possible but I think you'll end up with a spacing problem like somebody mentioned...

The only solution I see now is to optionally change the internal ratio to achieve better top end speed. The V1RR can be changed to 25T on the internal pulleys and now people claims that they can reach higher top end speed...
Old 11-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
I read somewhere on the SGrid that Robbie Collins used a 43 tooth gear. That should help solve the issue of the car topping out early.
I think you should look a few pages back. I debated that a one tooth SPUR change will not solve the gearing issue better than a one tooth difference on the PINION can...
Old 11-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rjl
What is it with you guys and gearing? I raced the car on my local parking lot club today and found the gearing to be very suitable to the track NTs were designed to be raced on. Next weekend I will race on a 1/8th scale track and with spurs and pinions I will be able to gear correctly.
Personally I would like to see the minimum 1/8 scale track size as being the maximum length for NTs.
I want to race on tracks where setup is as important as top speed!
rjl
rjl, thanks for the first impressions on the MTX-3. Looking forward to hearing more

There is a gearing problem which also apprears in the MTX-3. Well, as the saying goes, a race is not won on the straights, but rather in the corners... Depending on the track, some people may be lucky enough not to experience any problems. Hope when you get to race the MTX-3 on a larger track, you cold give us some feedback. Cheers mate
Old 11-17-2002, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by InitialD
Because some people seem to be avoiding the problem making it seemed like it never existed...
if some people are not happy with the gearing, just dont talk about the car and dont buy it ! it's your choice.

If you like it, buy it and fix the problem yourself (if you think it is)
Old 11-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Tech Addict

InitialD: oh my.... i don't really want to say this...but....
do you know anything about gear ratio?

the stock gearing ratio 5.43 is achieved by 20/43 pinion and spur combo.. and the internal ratio is 2.53
43/20=2.15 times 2.53=5.43.....
42/22=1.91 times 2.53=4.83.......................!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.