Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome! >

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree261Likes

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
Traxxas need to bring this out with a 21.5T motor and they got themselves a winner.
I'd still put my silver can powered TT02 Type S against this car any day.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nortran11
I'd still put my silver can powered TT02 Type S against this car any day.
I've heard of the Tamiya silver can. But don't know much about it. They way the 4Tec is it could really only race against itself. Or maybe the Vaterra I ran in last video. Gearing options are currently to limited. I'm still new to racing. But it's done good on the layout I run F1/USGT on. I'm planning to try the new VTA tires that Protoform is releasing. That's what the one group I know of had planned to use if they could get a spec class for it.

Little over a year ago I would have thought racing could work with it. But I've had a mindset change with RTR and racing. I do think a form of RTR racing is needed.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
Traxxas need to bring this out with a 21.5T motor and they got themselves a winner.
I can't see that happening. While I did expect a brushless version to follow, from what store owner has heard, Traxxas has no plans to. Price would be too high for the limited market touring cars have. Besides, they know that what most will do on their own.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

The 4tec, like the V100....is a parking lot cruiser. These cars are onroad versions of bashers. They line up in a USGT or VTA race next to serious cars, they will constantly be at the back of the pack.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Nortran11
The 4tec, like the V100....is a parking lot cruiser. These cars are onroad versions of bashers. They line up in a USGT or VTA race next to serious cars, they will constantly be at the back of the pack.
I agree that it's not meant for either USGT or VTA. It took me getting into running USGT to fully understand why. Currently there is only 1 RTR designed for touring car racing. The BSR BT-4. But it's not easy to find the RTR version

The director of the group in racing with did do laps with my 4Tec. And thought a spec class could work for it. And I know of a group that was trying to get one formed. But hasn't been able to get people to commit to it yet.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spur gear options

I am converting my traxxas 4 tec 2.0 to run in VTA but am wondering if they will release some spur gear options lower than the 48 pitch, 70 tooth. Is there another spur gear that will work on the traxxas 4 tec 2.0?

This chassis could be great for VTA, I think in the right hands it could be a threat any day of the week, the gearing is my biggest issue, right now the lowest I can get the fdr is 4.74 using a 31 tooth pinion with the 70 tooth spur.

Are you there Traxxas, any spur options on the way for the 4 tec 2.0?
IndyHobbies.com likes this.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Tech Prophet

I think there is a second spur gear option for the brushless version. Thought I saw it list a 55t spur.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

We found the 55 tooth spur, Traxxas part 8358, but looks as if they come out middle of November or are all out of stock right now.

Someone told me a Tamiya conversion kit, Tamiya part 54500, might work that allows you to use any kind of spur so will look in to that. Hopefully Traxxas or someone else makes a few hop ups for 4tec 2.0.

Only draw back to chassis so far in my opinion is lack of gearing options.

Last edited by chuck in indy; 10-06-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added part numbers
Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

I've talked to Chuck in Indy about this. I'm hoping our local RC club can add the 4Tec as a 100% Box Stock class for new racers and racers that like stock classes. We ran them as a class last weekend at a Hoosier RC Racers on-road event. Unfortunately most of them were brushless, and as a result, way too much power for the track and tires. That's cool if you are trying to set the neighborhood speed record in the street in front of your house with your buddies, but not for racing. Here is a video of one of the heats. There are a couple of TT-02's mixed in.

https://www.facebook.com/HRCRacers/v...2903310173236/

Maybe Traxxas will come out with some softer tires for racing. They will if we are all vocal about it I bet.

Are there better RTR's out there for on-road? Maybe yes. But you can't argue that Traxxas out markets all the other manufacturers combined. So, for new people getting into the sport/hobby, they are likely considering Traxxas anyway. And, Traxxas has great customer service too. Our hope is for example, a new father/son team could go to their LHS and buy Traxxas 4Tecs, show up to the track and race the exact same car as everyone else. The Traxxas Slash did that for On-road. There's a Stock Slash class at about every track in the country. I travel a lot for work and I always have a Slash in the truck so if there's a local track, I can run.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I was watching racing from revolution raceway in Oshkosh this afternoon. They have a 4tec spec class.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Tech Initiate

This car handles surprisingly well even with the stock tires. Bought a brushed one without a body to see how they do on the track, put a usgt body and my lipo battery in it and got some video if people wanted to see how it handles on a track in stock configuration.

https://youtu.be/lBrskePc7jM
angrymelon likes this.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Voloc
This car handles surprisingly well even with the stock tires. Bought a brushed one without a body to see how they do on the track, put a usgt body and my lipo battery in it and got some video if people wanted to see how it handles on a track in stock configuration.

https://youtu.be/lBrskePc7jM
Looks good. I’ve got no experience with carpet yet. Stock tires are good. I’ve also tried the Gravity USGT Tires on it over summer. Have to remove the “brake calipers” for them to fit.
I’ve recently tried the new Gravity foams on mine. Not the intended use, cold unprepared pavement, but showed signs that could be option next year if we can get the “ sportsman “ class going.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just picked up a Traxxas 4-tec 2.0 brushless chassis and thought I'd share my impressions.

It is pretty much ready to rum out of the box, just need batteries and body.
I ran it on a 3S lipo and for me it was plenty quick and fast with the stock gearing. The chassis is OK for the price point. Everything is a little loose, but does not seem to be an issue with handling. I notice a little play everywhere, steering linkage, control arms, hubs... I have some cars that are tight and stay that way, but then they cost 2x the price and don't have the radio, motor or even wheels. I think for the price point it's just fine.

Handling wise it was interesting. I have never used any kind of stabilization before. With it off, the car was manageable, but could get squirrely if you were not careful, would tend to drift a bit on heavy acceleration. Turn the stabilization up some and it track nice. Too much and the car oscillates until it finally spins out. I never tried drifting but gave it a shot. After a few goes, I found it was not too hard to do. At the beginning, I actually flipped the car over. It started off spinning like a top then jumped into the air and flipped.

Overall a fun little car at what I think is an OK price for what you get.

Not posting pics cause there are good ones on the web and at the Traxxas website.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have they updated the stock tires on this yet?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bringitrc
Have they updated the stock tires on this yet?
That would sure help for carpet racing. That's what is keeping us from suggesting it for our club stock class. A softer compound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.