Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

MUGEN SEIKI MRX5

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
I have run the car once so far on a hot day 95F. The rear end was unstable and unpredictable to say the least. I was running 35 all the way around and did not have time to do any testing.
I lowered the rear lower arms hinge pin to the bottom hole reset rear drop to 8mm, Changed the shim under the rear upper arm to 1mm, set front drop to 1mm and set the acerman adjustment to the middle mark. Car was good.
We have a race at the same track and I believe there are better answers for this track....
Tried all of the above and found it was easier to live with. Only difference is i run a kick up rear arm setting, Still finding a better solution cause i cant roll the car in tight turns, it either has to be on or off power. On long sweeper it oversteer a bit wide. I have to stay on 1 clean line and cant attack any corner confidently as it will get very nervous on exit. Should i start changing springs and shock oil ????
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default rear wing mount support coming off

I seem to have that problem every time ( both final) I got hit from the back....
the support come lose! Anyone have tips so it wont come off so easy
Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kitracer
I seem to have that problem every time ( both final) I got hit from the back....
the support come lose! Anyone have tips so it wont come off so easy
u can try to put shims to make the round silver nut that goes into the mount thats on the car longer or free max make the mout that attaches on the rear shock tower in aluminum i just orderd it...
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Romeo
Tried all of the above and found it was easier to live with. Only difference is i run a kick up rear arm setting, Still finding a better solution cause i cant roll the car in tight turns, it either has to be on or off power. On long sweeper it oversteer a bit wide. I have to stay on 1 clean line and cant attack any corner confidently as it will get very nervous on exit. Should i start changing springs and shock oil ????
to get rid of the nervous feeling put the front upper arms back more, move the castor clips foward.. and more rear toe will get rid of the oversteer also go up on the droop in the front to 2 u dont want the front of the car coming up..
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Romeo
check the following points before blaming your car's handling :

1. have u already use new tires with correct tire shore and tire split ?
2. have u already copy the basic car setup from mugen ? Or copy car setup from more experience driver ( group A ) in your local track ?
3. make sure the car's suspension arms, wheel bearings, belts, are moving freely.

After following all the above, I would do the following one by one :

Do 1,2,3 first.

And 4 second

And 5,6 third.

1. remove the kick up setting ( make it flat ), the kick up setting actually make the rear nervous.
2. shortened the wheelbase so the car can rotate faster in medium to tight corner while off throttle. ( This is the number 1 solution ).
3. slightly widened the rear trackwidth to 264mm - 265mm, with 2.5 to 3.0 degree toe in. This is to increase rear stability exiting corner on power.

4. Use middle position for front caster. More caster ( more lay back ) increase the hooking effect on sweeper while the car is on power.

5. higher roll center at rear tires, this is to reduce rear nervousness
6. lower roll center at front tires, this is to help the car turns ( more aggresive ) while off throttle.

gud luck.

I dont have mrx5. However, I have been in your situation before, and I have fixed it

2 years ago, My mrx4-r have problems like understeering at medium - slow corners, and mild oversteering on sweeper (the car hook while on power at sweeper entry ).

Last edited by asw7576; 11-10-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Tech Champion

I'm not at home right now.....

Can somebody inform me the outside diameter of 1/8 tires uncut ? front and rear please.

( the best if someone can give me the info for kawahara tires )

Many thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
to get rid of the nervous feeling put the front upper arms back more, move the castor clips foward.. and more rear toe will get rid of the oversteer also go up on the droop in the front to 2 u dont want the front of the car coming up..
It has a better feel now and can drive comfortably. Thank you
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576

2. have u already copy the basic car setup from mugen ? Or copy car setup from more experience driver ( group A ) in your local track ?
3. make sure the car's suspension arms, wheel bearings, belts, are moving freely.

Do 1,2,3 first.

And 4 second

And 5,6 third.

1. remove the kick up setting ( make it flat ), the kick up setting actually make the rear nervous.
2. shortened the wheelbase so the car can rotate faster in medium to tight corner while off throttle. ( This is the number 1 solution ).
3. slightly widened the rear trackwidth to 264mm - 265mm, with 2.5 to 3.0 degree toe in. This is to increase rear stability exiting corner on power.

4. Use middle position for front caster. More caster ( more lay back ) increase the hooking effect on sweeper while the car is on power.

6. lower roll center at front tires, this is to help the car turns ( more aggresive ) while off throttle.

gud luck.

I dont have mrx5. However, I have been in your situation before, and I have fixed it

2 years ago, My mrx4-r have problems like understeering at medium - slow corners, and mild oversteering on sweeper (the car hook while on power at sweeper entry ).
since u dont have a 5 i guess u dont know u cant shorten the wheel base on 5. yes more track width will help but the cast hook effect will be into the turn on power out it will be more stable...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Do 1,2,3 first.

And 4 second

And 5,6 third.

gud luck.

There are currently 2 or 3 MRX5 racing here, Top 5 are of rivals make so kinda stuck and to go experiment. With this forum a newbie like me have an easier path to follow. Thanking you for the kind advice. Sincerely
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
since u dont have a 5 i guess u dont know u cant shorten the wheel base on 5. yes more track width will help but the cast hook effect will be into the turn on power out it will be more stable...
Is the wheelbase of MRX-5 slightly longer than all other 1/8 ?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Can somebody inform me the outside diameter of 1/8 tires uncut ? front and rear please.

Many thanks
Kawahara Zac tires rears are 78.56mm
Kawahara Zac tires front are 70.61mm
Hope this helps you I just checked mine and they are uncut.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianOngs
Is the wheelbase of MRX-5 slightly longer than all other 1/8 ?
tell u the truth i never measured the wheel base between the 4 and the 5 i guess mugen felt this car would not benefit from a shorter wheelbase so they made it non adjustable
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

In my hometrack, top 10 drivers are mostly using mrx5 now.

Few drivers still use mrx4x and kyosho m3.

The usual finish number 1 driver is still using mrx4x.

Here a little story about mrx5 vs mrx4x :

Last weekend, the usual finish number 1 driver (mrx4x) is finished 2nd position, and the usual finish number 3 or 4 driver ( brand new mrx5 ) got lucky and finished 1st position.

The usual finish number 1 driver said to me after the race, "mrx5 is definetely better car than mrx4x, especially in high speed sweeper. I'm slower at that sweeper. He (mrx5 driver) closes the gap from that sweeper and finally pass me at lap 150".

According to him , All mrx4(x,r) cars have understeering tendencies when push to the max ( eventhough he already done 3mm wheelbase mod ).
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Many thanks
The Kawahara tires come 77-78 in the rear new and 70-70.5 front new
Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER
The Kawahara tires come 77-78 in the rear new and 70-70.5 front new
thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.