Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
I am currently running 4 shims inside the clutchbell
What I meant to say was - add a shim and the test to see if it binds, if it does then add another shim then test it again, keep doing this and adding shims until it doesn't bind anymore, then add 1 more shim.
we are getting crossed up here, what i meant by this is i set my clutch the same way. but when i have no drag, ie about 3 shims, then i add 2 more. i found that when i added just the 1 more, when everything got to race temps, it would still have slight drag on it , so i went to adding 2 more shims. i hope to do some testing with the ED trans today as well
Old 11-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G4S'er
I ran some numbers on the Ed trans today and found the split is 1.80 mm. If you run a 60 front, the rear should be close to 61.8 or 62. Has anyone else come up with the same or something different split?
Hey Sam. i too run the numbers and got this split ive sent you a little something in the mail (e), hope you like it
Old 11-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Hey Sam. i too run the numbers and got this split ive sent you a little something in the mail (e), hope you like it
Just to re-confirm what you already know, You are both dead on with the 1.8 split.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

we are getting crossed up here, what i meant by this is i set my clutch the same way. but when i have no drag, ie about 3 shims, then i add 2 more. i found that when i added just the 1 more, when everything got to race temps, it would still have slight drag on it , so i went to adding 2 more shims. i hope to do some testing with the ED trans today as well
Just a quick question to get some insight on everyones "shim" deal. I have a lot of different shims, from .1 to .3mm. Maybe because of me using Serpent centax and different push style clutches. So when you guys mention, "add one more shim" or whatever, you need to be more presice in your comment. Unless the UFO shims are all the same thickness. It does take a bit of time to get clutch gap correct when setting it for a different engine. The size and amount of shims differ due to the flywheel collet on the engine. These things vary in size quite a bit. I have a technique down, but won't post it until I'm 100% that it works with the UFO system. My system is pretty standard for all centax and all "push" style clutches that I have had to set up over the last 10 years of my racing. However I am new with G4S and UFO, therefore I don't want to miss lead anyone. I'll play with my technique tonight and see how consitant it is with different engines, collets etc...then post it. Plus I need to measure the shims that TM or KFactory uses to see if they are all the same size, or if they have a variety of thickness. Will keep in touch.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ED Transmission has a front/rear split of 1.6mm

1.8mm results in 0.32% more drive coming from the rear.

Andrew
Old 11-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

How are you guys getting 1.8mm?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Just a quick question to get some insight on everyones "shim" deal. I have a lot of different shims, from .1 to .3mm. Maybe because of me using Serpent centax and different push style clutches. So when you guys mention, "add one more shim" or whatever, you need to be more presice in your comment.
i use 0.2mm shims after i get no drag.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lycan
How are you guys getting 1.8mm?
i use an STS gear ratio program to work out splits and 1st and 2nd ratios
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Old 11-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lycan
ED Transmission has a front/rear split of 1.6mm

1.8mm results in 0.32% more drive coming from the rear.

Andrew
This is incorrect. Here are my calculations:

2.0 gives you a .9960 drive ratio. Which results in .40% more rear drive.

1.9 gives you a .9975 drive ratio. Which results in .24% more rear drive.

1.8 gives you a .9991 drive ratio. Which results in .08% more rear drive.

1.7 gives you a 1.0007 drive ratio. This results in .08% more front drive.

1.6 gives you a 1.0023 drive ratio. This results in .23% more front drive.

I started at 2mm split down to the 1.6 to see the pattern. I prefer the between the 1.8-2.0 split for a few reasons. If you are useing a front one-way setup, going down the straight the rear over rides the front causeing less drag, but through the corners if you are giving it gas the 4wd kicks in so to speak. Plus the rear tires wear faster then the fronts so you keep a more rear drive ratio for longer. I would never start or want to end up with more front drive then rear. I suppose that driving style may alter my opinion of the tire split. However a 1.8 split is the closest to a 1:1 ratio (or 1.75 is exactly a 1:1 ratio) I hope this helps and clarifies things a bit.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

I have a problem with the ED transmission front one way.
seems to want to turn around on itself on throttle ( light throttle) and when the momentum is up and get to about 1/3rd throttle, it still turns on itself.
seems the right front wheel has lost drive. this is a brand new 30t front one way with the hardened Kfactory out drives. i havent got time to pull apart and inspect at the moment so i will lock the front up so no damage is done to out drive or bearing. has anyone had this problem ?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have a problem with the ED transmission front one way.
seems to want to turn around on itself on throttle ( light throttle) and when the momentum is up and get to about 1/3rd throttle, it still turns on itself.
seems the right front wheel has lost drive. this is a brand new 30t front one way with the hardened Kfactory out drives. i havent got time to pull apart and inspect at the moment so i will lock the front up so no damage is done to out drive or bearing. has anyone had this problem ?
Is this the first time you ran this front one way? I haven't driven mine, however when installing it I noticed a ton of grease inside the front one way bearings, which is far from ideal IMO. I got all that grease out of there with a rag and motor spray, then put ONE drop of Serpent one way oil on the outdrive. This is how I have always done my front oneway or 2nd gear one ways and never had a problem. If you don't have one way oil, some people leave them dry but you could use ONE drop of mineral oil. Noticed how I emphesized ONE drop. Don't do more then that. I put the ONE drop on the outdrive and turn it some to spread even. Not sure if this is your problem, but thought I would throw that out there. Good luck bro!
Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for throwing one out there if your watching the cricket at the moment, then you could say the poms are in a spot of bother. but i hear you. i never actually pulled aprt the one way. so i will and see if there is a ton of grease in it thanks for the hint D, i will let you know if it was that or not. as for the rest of it its so smooth and tons of torque with the 16/21 pinions still very rich as well. later ....
Old 11-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for throwing one out there if your watching the cricket at the moment, then you could say the poms are in a spot of bother. but i hear you. i never actually pulled aprt the one way. so i will and see if there is a ton of grease in it thanks for the hint D, i will let you know if it was that or not. as for the rest of it its so smooth and tons of torque with the 16/21 pinions still very rich as well. later ....
Well I sure hope that works for you. I have a feeling it will do the trick. And that's awesome news about the torque! I'm stoked about taking my car out and ripping it up! (still waiting for a part ). Good Luck bro! Later.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

The ED o/d ratio is spot on guys ,stick to 1.8 - 2.0 smaller fronts ,got the same info from Daz/Muppetracer .
Will be running car this afternoon ,will post any interesting info this evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.