Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

I'm very sorry for your loss. I think that scenario is one of my worst nightmares and one of the reasons I no longer run my car anywhere else except at the track. I've had a few close calls in the past.

I hope you find a way to get new equipment with out too many problems.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Bud I feel for you ,thats bad luck.
Dont wish that on my worst enemy.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gansei
yes i used GR tuned OS 12 TZ 3port and 5mm GPX-4 muffler.

But fuel leak out from carburetor rubber.

so my OS engine is gone slow and slow... ^^

and i am not satisfied with my clutch setting.
(no weight shim, 1.8 spring, clearance: 0.4mm, red shoe)

GR racing will produce tuned OS 12TZ 5port in time.

But 3port TZ will be produced in 2007 Jan.

i will send your message to GR racing.

Thanks..

Gansei,

This may or may not work for your clutch. I'll tell you how I set mine up so you can try. Notice that I race in very high cities. I live in at 1500 m above sea level. My last reace was at over 3000 m!! That could change things for you, but I run the 1.8mm clutch spring (yellow or green depending on how you see it), I use only one weight. I set my gap at 0.5 mm and only thighten the spring tension nut barely enough for it to show the clutch nut thread.

That is my departing point. What I do after that is move the clutch bell back and forth on 0.1 mm increments at a time. I usually don't thouch the mess with the spring tension and use the gap for adjustments instead. I really like my clutch that way.

Using one weight will create more push force as compared to using none.
If you use both weights will obviosly generate even more force but will cause the clutch to engage too early, which will force you to thread in the spring tension nut and move the clutchbell very far out.

I think Darren Johnson is threading in 0.8mm, using both weights and using a 0.8mm gap. I think he uses the 1.8mm spring. Daz, are you there reading this?

I hope that helps!

As for the GR Racing engine, I can use a 5 port TZ. That is OK, as long as I can get one of those.

Please let me know if they could get me one of those engines.

I have paypal, maybe that will help.

Thanks Gansei!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Gansei,

Have you tried the ED transmission?

Honestly I have not used it, but it is on its way with the mail already.

Given the fact that the ED transmission removes some of the load on the engine that will in turn create a wider sweet spot for the clutch setting.

Maybe using the ED transmission will make your clutch look and feel better.

Just a thought!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

I have just upgraded to the ED trans.gave the car a run yesterday on the parking lot at work.
lutch setup is :

Mugen ultra hard spring
Red shoes with 2 weights
.7 mm gap
.6 thread gap

What I noticed is that the engine sounds like its slipping on the clutch before it accelerates.
Ive loosened the tension and still it sounds like that.
Thought it might be the new clutch bell and gave it a clean with a pot scourer ,still same.

Do you think it can be the mugen ultra hard spring ,wierd as before the tranny change it never had a problem.
Would the reduced load from the ED system make that much of a difference that the clutch is slipping ?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by razzor
I have just upgraded to the ED trans.gave the car a run yesterday on the parking lot at work.
lutch setup is :

Mugen ultra hard spring
Red shoes with 2 weights
.7 mm gap
.6 thread gap

What I noticed is that the engine sounds like its slipping on the clutch before it accelerates.
Ive loosened the tension and still it sounds like that.
Thought it might be the new clutch bell and gave it a clean with a pot scourer ,still same.

Do you think it can be the mugen ultra hard spring ,wierd as before the tranny change it never had a problem.
Would the reduced load from the ED system make that much of a difference that the clutch is slipping ?
Your end play on the clutch housing should be .3mm. .7 is too much and can cause the slipage.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

He must mean .7mm clutch gap, if his endplay setting was that big he would be going through thrust bearings on a daily basis. I personally run anywhere from a .5-.8mm clutch gap but my endplay setting is always .1mm.

Mark
Old 11-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am using the black 1.8 spring and 0.6 clutch gap with minimal endplay, bout .2. i have just installed the new trans and am using the 16/21 bell and pinion that it came with. running in a new motor with this setting and i have no clutch issues with the new bell. i have about 1mm wound up on the spring and i do think ill need more when its run in. until i get to the track i wont know how good the new trans will be but so far i am impressed with quality and fit. the nonuse of drive pins has and will remove total play from pulleys. the slightest movement on the front wheels turns the rear diff just as much. and its so smooth. i installed the real racing brake pads at the same time and the springs between the pads will also help the smoothness of the trans. looking forward to track time, thanks Sam.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mtveten
He must mean .7mm clutch gap, if his endplay setting was that big he would be going through thrust bearings on a daily basis. I personally run anywhere from a .5-.8mm clutch gap but my endplay setting is always .1mm.

Mark
Follow this procedure...Perfect!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ED Tranny

Hey guys. A short story about the ED tranny I would like to share. I was tightening up the 27T pulley on the middle shaft, the 19t shaft. I had a nut driver on the 27t pulley and was holding the 19T pulley by hand while I was tightening it. Well just when it was getting snug the end of the shaft where the threads are snapped. I was like what the hell? I trully did not over torque that thing. Afrer all I was tightening it by hand. So I'm telling you all this to just be careful when tightening those pulleys up. DO NOT over do it. Mine might have had a small factory defect, but maybe not. I don't think it's fragile, but that shaft does get thin on that end where the screw goes in to prevent the 27T pulley form loosening. Don't do what I did. Be aware of the torque you apply. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schufflerbot
Last night, on the local 'track' that is a parking lot in its off hours, I went to test my new suspension set up and check some minor tweeks I had made to my new G4S (upgraded from the RTR kit last week)

It was running like a dream come true, the engine was perfectly tuned, the tranny was shifting better than ever and the new handling setup was exquisite to say the least.

Then, my good friend of 15+ years, who is interested in getting into this sport, asked to try the car out and see what it was like to handle it.

After some hesitation on my part and prodding on his, I handed my controller over reluctantly and told him to 'keep it between the two outer markers and dont go past half throttle.'

well, he was doing well up until a 2000 Ford F-150 with 33" tires came rolling through the parking lot and headed in our direction. I saw the truck, warned my friend about it and told him to bring the car back around.

Well, he kind of panicked, as the truck was closing in fast and -to make a long story short- he didnt get out of the way on time.

The largest vehicle in a parking lot half the size of Texas ran directly over the top of my car, crushing the engine, gas tank and pretty much causing enough damage to every part that salvage is not an option.

I'm heartbroken and a little angry that I handed my controller over, but I guess accidents will happen, right?

Luckily, this is a great friend of mine who I know will man up and take care of the costs. Unluckily, he is in a financial bind right now and I dont know when he will be able to pony up the cash for a new kit.

So, if you will all take a moment to bow your heads, we can have a collective moment of silence for the poor G4 that was cut down in her prime.

Dude i am sorry to hear about your loss

There will always be time to build another great G4...

BB
Old 11-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by schufflerbot
Last night, on the local 'track' that is a parking lot in its off hours, I went to test my new suspension set up and check some minor tweeks I had made to my new G4S (upgraded from the RTR kit last week)

It was running like a dream come true, the engine was perfectly tuned, the tranny was shifting better than ever and the new handling setup was exquisite to say the least.

Then, my good friend of 15+ years, who is interested in getting into this sport, asked to try the car out and see what it was like to handle it.

After some hesitation on my part and prodding on his, I handed my controller over reluctantly and told him to 'keep it between the two outer markers and dont go past half throttle.'

well, he was doing well up until a 2000 Ford F-150 with 33" tires came rolling through the parking lot and headed in our direction. I saw the truck, warned my friend about it and told him to bring the car back around.

Well, he kind of panicked, as the truck was closing in fast and -to make a long story short- he didnt get out of the way on time.

The largest vehicle in a parking lot half the size of Texas ran directly over the top of my car, crushing the engine, gas tank and pretty much causing enough damage to every part that salvage is not an option.

I'm heartbroken and a little angry that I handed my controller over, but I guess accidents will happen, right?

Luckily, this is a great friend of mine who I know will man up and take care of the costs. Unluckily, he is in a financial bind right now and I dont know when he will be able to pony up the cash for a new kit.

So, if you will all take a moment to bow your heads, we can have a collective moment of silence for the poor G4 that was cut down in her prime.

Dude, I am extremely sorry to hear a story like that. I wish I could help out. If I had the cash to borrow you, I would in a heartbeat. I can tell your an honest and loyal type of person just by reading your posts. There are actually a lot of cool guys here. But again I am sorry for your loss. Hang in there bro, things will turn around for you.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i have the problem also with ED. set the end play with shims, tested all rite, but when u start the engine, it doesn't want to move, so have to add 2 more shims infront of the clutch bell.

another thing is that upon cleaning my car, i found that the rear side pulley bolt went missing, already tightened with thread lock. hmm, wierd.

but i must admit that the pick-up speed of ED is somehow lacking a bit compared to my previous gearing, but faster top end. and somehow i feel that engine runs cooler, which means u can lean more on either LSN or HSN. keke
Old 11-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ED Tranny stuff

I am not understanding all this ED tranny stuff when you guys mention it is slower or slugish out of the hole? The 1st gear ratio is a lower ratio then stock, there for should yank hard from stop or 1st gear speeds, not slugish at all. But I can't mess with mine till I get the new parts that I broke. And with a taller 2nd gear makeing it faster, the way they designed it, you should have lower engine temps somewhat do to the less strain on the engine. I has to be all in the clutch set up. I plan on running the 1.8 black clutch spring with .7 clutch gap and .1mm end play.

When I check my clutch before putting it on the track, I start the car and leave it on the starter box to keep the wheels off the ground. Then I grag a rear tire with medium grip with my hand and give it gas to feel how the clutch is grabbing. It should snap pretty hard. If it doesn't have that "snap" to it, well then I either loosen or tighten the clutch spring depending on the circumstances. Maybe the stock clutch material is too hard for the new clutch bell? Not too sure sence I have never even got to start my car yet. Unless I try to drive it with RWD only with the side belt off. I have set up clutches on my 1:8th scale for over 8 or 10 years...something like that. So I am pretty confident in clutch setup. When I do my trial and error on this cluch deal, I will report back with my findings on what people might be running into. Keep the posts comming, because I need to get this car dialed and figured out for next race season with out any hitches. I enjoy the group of guys on this forum very much! You ALL kick ASS! I have learned a lot from you all. It is very appreciated guys!

Thank You all, and have a nice Thanksgiving today for the ones that participate in this Holiday! I have to do the family thing and stuff which is cool, but I would rather play with my car You ALL take care.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uniquexme
but i must admit that the pick-up speed of ED is somehow lacking a bit compared to my previous gearing, but faster top end. and somehow i feel that engine runs cooler, which means u can lean more on either LSN or HSN. keke
what gearing are you using ? if you were running 18/52 for 1st gear previous to the ED trans then you will need the 15 T 1st pinion for the Ed trans. i too am dissapointed that you have to buy the 15/20 pinion combo to achieve better results than the stock trans system with 18/23 pinions and 52/47 spurs. the std gearing that comes with the ED trans actually reduces acceleration unless you buy the 15/20 pinion and bell to match. this combo achieves the better acceleration that everyone is after, but has to be purchased seperately to the ED system. but again it all depends which motor you are using

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.