Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just finished taking my rear end apart and found grooves in my chassis from the downstop screws. Anyone have any suggestions on fixing or preventing this from happening and how often should a chassis be replaced?

Also, what have people's experiece been with ceramic bearings?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blanks596
just finished taking my rear end apart and found grooves in my chassis from the downstop screws. Anyone have any suggestions on fixing or preventing this from happening and how often should a chassis be replaced?
IMHO... chassis should not need to be replaced because the grooves caused by downstop screws, when you adjust droop, you do it with a fixed scale that isn't affected by the grooves on the chassis isn't a real issue to have a grub screw slightly more tightened than other (well unless you make a nice hole on the chassis due to massive tightening and loosening of the grub screws).

Regarding ceramic bearings are only useful if you're looking for that small fraction of power robbed by plain bearings, stick to the Mugen ones well lubed and cleaned and spare yourself of burning high bucks buying a ceramic set. Better burn some sets of tyres.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The performance gain and longevity of using ceramic bearings in the chassis has been hotly debated, with no one really coming up with a way to measure the gain in performance. Clearly, using ceramics is not detrimental and does not result in peformance loss. If anything, using ceramic clutch and thrust bearings would be a good idea.

I have a fullset of ceramics in my RRR UE/X. Everyone that turns my wheels always comments on how freed-up the drivetrain feels. I will probably change over to ceramics in my MTX-4 once it's time to change out the stock bearings. A few guys at my local track are using ceramics in their MTX-4 as well. When I spoke to Ishitani in March of this year, the team was putting in ceramics.

For most, it's the cost that prevents them from running ceramics. If the cost were the same as the stock ones, my bet would be that that everyone would run ceramics. If money is not an issue, it's something to consider. You could always buy a set and decide for youself if it's worth it or not.

Most people here at the forum that will try to dissuade you from using ceramics have tried it and did not personally see any benefit. There are some that have not tried them, but will tell you it's not worth it anyway. Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a set of ceramics on my MTX-4 and there is a difference between the stock bearing. My friend and I did a test comparing the ceramic vs. stock bearings on a straight away at my local track. We run up to the straight away and let go at the half way mark, with roughly the same speed. My car consistently rolled longer than his, by at least 4-5 feet. At first I thougth he was using drag brake, but that wasn't the case. We both are using urethane belts, and our tires were roughly the same size. I'm not sure if this test gives us a concrete answer for ceramic vs. stock, but at least its one test out many that could be made.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
When I spoke to Ishitani in March of this year, the team was putting in ceramics.

I guess less resistance = more power. Performance gain may be fractional but that's what competative racing is all about. If racers like Darrin or yourself are using ceramics, then it would be in a racers best interest to use them if they want to compete with you all. you could bet that every $50 spent on a car at least = .20 sec increase in lap time if you driving is good. After 5 laps that's 1 sec after 50 it's 10 sec etc...

Ceramics probably wouldn't matter to anyone except those at the top or to those looking to get to the top.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

only us ceramic bearings in 1/12,and the drop screw thing i dont realy find it a problem,i just kinda smooth the chassis a pit.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you guys want to get similar performance or close to the performance of the ceramic bearings. Empty out the grease from your stock bearing and just use light bearing oil. One thing though you will need to maintain the bearing often.

So if you race almost every weekend. It might be too much maintenance.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ceramics are worth every penny if you are racing seriously. Almost every pro has them in all of their cars. It really frees up the drivetrain and they last 5 times as long as the steel.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The ball is hard doesn't mean the cage is hard. they does get damage. so evaluatethe cost of maintaining it
Old 10-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

so i went to the boca bearing website and it wasn't clear to me which bearing to buy. Some are for electric, some for gas, others with little application decription. Do people buy directly from boca or is a cheaper to go through a hobby shop?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Go to the Web page below and choose the MTX-4. It will list your options.

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...earchkit&cat=1

I would choose the Ceramic Lightning Ultra Seal Bearing Kit #40-110C-YU for my MTX-4, as I am using these on my RRR. Have not tried the yellow seals. The differences between the seal types can be found here (well, sort of):

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=5

YBSLOW - What are you using??
Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

so i went to the boca bearing website and it wasn't clear to me which bearing to buy. Some are for electric, some for gas, others with little application decription. Do people buy directly from boca or is a cheaper to go through a hobby shop?
I use ACER Racing Ceramics bearings. You an get a complete set for only $89.00 plus free shipping.

I have been using them in my MTX4 for 1 year now and they still feel like new.

www.acerracing.com
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ira
I use ACER Racing Ceramics bearings. You an get a complete set for only $89.00 plus free shipping.

I have been using them in my MTX4 for 1 year now and they still feel like new.

www.acerracing.com
I think you're just buying ACER bearings because of the pin-ups!!

Just kidding! Just kidding!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go to the Web page below and choose the MTX-4. It will list your options.

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...earchkit&cat=1

I would choose the Ceramic Lightning Ultra Seal Bearing Kit #40-110C-YU for my MTX-4, as I am using these on my RRR. Have not tried the yellow seals. The differences between the seal types can be found here (well, sort of):

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=5

YBSLOW - What are you using??
I use the acer ceramics in both MRX4 and MTX4.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I think you're just buying ACER bearings because of the pin-ups!!

Just kidding! Just kidding!
It helps, Heck I buy RC CAR Action magazine just to see the next add.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.