Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Tech Initiate

That’s a good theory. But, the silver parts were used on the FF02 cars, long wheelbase, and the black was/is used on the RTR M03 cars. They appear to be the same casting, so there must be a reason to produce the same parts with different plastics.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Their is an additive added to make the plastic silver. In turn makes the plastic not as hard & strong as it could be. The black is more pure which is why it harder & stronger. It might have some additives but not as much as the silver does. I think in terms of raw plastic basically come in black or white. Additives are added to get the colors they want. That's why most stuff you buy that is plastic is either black or white. Their are other colors but not as strong. The reasons for two different colors who knows. Only someone from tamiya could answer why exactly it is like that. I hope you understand what I am talking about. I am not trying to lecture or make anyone feel weird. This is just my own take on the whole disscusion

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Originally Posted by war11x
oh and how the hell do you guys get these things to go so dam fast with a sports tuned motor
Cheers
Warwick
If you want to go fast, like they do at the TCS races, you need to find a old silver can motor that they do not make anymore, it has 4 slots in the can around the circumference on the end, close to the brushes. Todays motors only have 2 big slots. This motor is equivilant to the the Sport Tuned Black Can 540 that Tamiya offers now. I believe it was made by Johnson, It is hard to find because it came in older kits. TCS lets you run it even though it blows away the current kit silver can motors. As long as it looks like a silver can, your OK.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Zapping the cans once would probably help
Old 03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gibsoneb
If you want to go fast, like they do at the TCS races, you need to find a old silver can motor that they do not make anymore, it has 4 slots in the can around the circumference on the end, close to the brushes. Todays motors only have 2 big slots. This motor is equivilant to the the Sport Tuned Black Can 540 that Tamiya offers now. I believe it was made by Johnson, It is hard to find because it came in older kits. TCS lets you run it even though it blows away the current kit silver can motors. As long as it looks like a silver can, your OK.
Thanks for the info..... hehehe.... I still have six original mabuchi silver can motors from TA02 era ( 1995 ). Btw, are you sure about this ?

I notice current version of silver can motors are different than previous edition begining from TT-01 era.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Post motor

I ran the newer 1,2 hole it was very fast...........
Old 03-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

You posting that secret set up you promise us for the M03-L?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip Gibsoneb
whent straight out to my shed , Bloody Marvelous what you find in your old RC boxes , hehe a few unused 4 slot silver can motors by Johnson that i had from when i bought a Subaru brat , and some buggy about ten years ago that i installed other motors in

Cheers

Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Arrow sure

got to go to sleep I will post it 2mar
Old 03-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by danjoy25
This is the reason why I got hooked on M03.'s I got the bodies today and just need the 225 extension plate.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/ch...oncwinner1.jpg

nice job Ian
Sorry to bring up a 3 day old post (been gone for a few days) but how are you doing with your concourse project, danjoy25? And does anyone know what Ian Aquino is up to these days? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Done, but not concourse material. Just wanted one of the shell after seeing Ian's and I also drive a EK hatch so I painted it with the same color. Ive posted the pics previously.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default No M03 cars in Europe?

So I just got back from Faszination Modellbau. ( http://www.faszination-modellbau-messe.de/en/35089 ).

I talked with the Dickie-Tamiya reps there because the Suzuki Super Swift 1600 was not on display. As it turns out it will not be released in Germany, it is only being made available as a special promotional item to Suzuki dealers. He said that the M-03 cars are not at all popular in Europe and was surprised to see any interest in them. So that explains the weird looks I get when I shop for wheels and tires at the LHS. Lots of other cool stuff though.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

With the ;ayout change at Frederick Hobbytown for TCS what chassis should I run the M03L or the M03 shorty? I have what I need for either one? THANKS!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

I'd run whatever you like best. I've tried running a short chassis, but I don't dig the handling characteristics.

I'm a LWB guy through and through.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Equivalent to a black can sport tuned (23T)... I don't think so. The early silver 4 vent can was manufactured by Mabuchi and did have a slightly softer brush. The newer 2 vent can you see as OEM on the currently released Tamiya kits is manufactured by Johnson. Both of these motors are 27T, 0' timing.

The motors provided at the TCS Nationals last year were Johnson's. They can be quick if broken in correctly (very hard brushes)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.