Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by paulfitipauldi
I have a few questions , first about Centax ,, the coil spring that I received in my Kit was the Gold one, my manual says 909518 , is that OK, so should I replace it with the silver one Ser6586??
The manual is wrong. The gold one in the kit is part number 6586. It's 1.7 mm diameter spring and softer than the silver one that comes with the Centax II (1.8 mm).

You may have problems setting the Centax clutch. If you can get the yellow Centax 3 clutch shoes (802509), then it will solve the soft engagement problem. If you cannot get it, try and mount the 3 piece flyweights in between the 3 pins of the flywheel by cutting them short and just enough to sit them in between the pins. This will give bettwer clutch engagement with the stock black clutch shoes.

If you want a harder punch and clutch engagement, you may want to get the harder Centax II spring (silver) from the 705 to replace the gold one.

another question, I see that in your last setup , you're running locked front diff, did you locked the one way or the ball diff??,, and what did you do to lock it???
I locked the front oneway with the 802252 front shaft lock set. You can also lock a front ball diff but that would mean "destroying" your diff plates. I believe the way to do it is to create dimples in the diff plates for the diff balls to sit in and locking itself when you tighten it.

One more question, sorry but the UT and LT thing, I don't understand the terminology already,, due to my little experience with the car,, can you please make a drawing or take a pic. about this concern,,, BTW, thanks for the setting , that was I'm looking for ,, I'm running technical tracks around here!,,
Paul, refer to page 17 on the small setup booklet given with the 710 kit. It shows you what the terminology means. You basically have different combos to change the rear roll center. In short, if you set a high rear roll center (which I did), the rear rolls less. Vice versa if you set to low rear roll center. Roll center affects how the car behaves on the track. It can make the car lazy or can make it twitchy.

If you have more questions, shoot.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by InitialD
Nice ride Paul ! Hey welcome back...

I know sometimes it seems easier if we can just put the car in the washing machine to give it a good cleaning...
That's the only place in the house that my wify let me works on!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

The manual is wrong. The gold one in the kit is part number 6586. It's 1.7 mm diameter spring and softer than the silver one that comes with the Centax II (1.8 mm).

You may have problems setting the Centax clutch. If you can get the yellow Centax 3 clutch shoes (802509), then it will solve the soft engagement problem. If you cannot get it, try and mount the 3 piece flyweights in between the 3 pins of the flywheel by cutting them short and just enough to sit them in between the pins. This will give bettwer clutch engagement with the stock black clutch shoes.

If you want a harder punch and clutch engagement, you may want to get the harder Centax II spring (silver) from the 705 to replace the gold one.
Ok cool,,, what if I replace it already with the silver one,, have no tested yet, do I have to do another mod to engage hard?? still have the black clutch and weights in his original positions

Originaly posted by Initial DI locked the front oneway with the 802252 front shaft lock set. You can also lock a front ball diff but that would mean "destroying" your diff plates. I believe the way to do it is to create dimples in the diff plates for the diff balls to sit in and locking itself when you tighten it.
Ok ,, I'm using the one way diff too locked position, with the old drive shafts adaptors,, I cut it to 25.54mm, and locked with grub screws instead of Pins!! the 710's drive adaptors are kind of weak for me

Originaliposted by Initial DPaul, refer to page 17 on the small setup booklet given with the 710 kit. It shows you what the terminology means. You basically have different combos to change the rear roll center. In short, if you set a high rear roll center (which I did), the rear rolls less. Vice versa if you set to low rear roll center. Roll center affects how the car behaves on the track. It can make the car lazy or can make it twitchy.

If you have more questions, shoot.
Thank you very much D,, I realy apreceate it,,
Old 03-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Ok cool,,, what if I replace it already with the silver one,, have no tested yet, do I have to do another mod to engage hard?? still have the black clutch and weights in his original positions
If you set the clutch using stock parts in stock positions, get the yellow clutch shoes. You can try putting in the silver spring but I would not know if it'll solve the problem.

I suggest you go out and try the car in stock clutch setting first and see how it goes while you wait to order the yellow clutch shoes. You may want to change them to the yellow shoes in any case, as they are much better in terms of performance.

Ok ,, I'm using the one way diff too locked position, with the old drive shafts adaptors,, I cut it to 25.54mm, and locked with grub screws instead of Pins!! the 710's drive adaptors are kind of weak for me
I don't know how you mount the grub screws but they may tend to back out and loosen after a few rounds... As long as you don't hit something solid at the front wheels while on throttle, you should be ok with the stock oneway drive adaptors...

Else, buy an extra set of diff plates for the ball diff, make 3 or 4 dimples on it symetrically and lock the front ball diff if you want a more durable front solid axle solution. Or try running a ball diff completely in front. You may like it better than the front solid. Set it tight.

When you use a front ball diff, makes sure you set a narrower front trackwidth because the dogbones can pop off. Try 198 mm. If you want to set it back to 200 mm, use wheel hex spacers. Cheap and free would be to make your own out hex wheel spacers out of lexan...
Old 03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originaly posted by Initial D
I don't know how you mount the grub screws but they may tend to back out and loosen after a few rounds
Sorry about the grubscrew,, I should say Setscrew 3x4mm, of course, you have to make a dent in the drive shaft so the setscrew sit firmly in it, then put the collar that holds the pins, that way you prevent the setscrews don't come out
Old 03-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Need some help with Kit

I just got a serpent kit and I am stuck on Step 2.3. The parts that are confusing me are 1. Where is bearing U7 (either i lost it or it ddnt come with it)? and what do i do with the snap ring? On the diagram it looks like the bearing goes on top of the snap ring but i dont think thats possible. any help is appreciated.

Next thing is where can i get parts for serpent online like the u7 bearing, serpent cleaning putty and one way lube?

***EDIT****

I got it. It does go inside and bearig does go on top.

Last edited by alucard13; 03-06-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Sorry about the grubscrew,, I should say Setscrew 3x4mm, of course, you have to make a dent in the drive shaft so the setscrew sit firmly in it, then put the collar that holds the pins, that way you prevent the setscrews don't come out
Old 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Need some help with Kit

Originally posted by alucard13
Next thing is where can i get parts for serpent online like the u7 bearing, serpent cleaning putty and one way lube?
Welcome aboard alucard. Where are you located?

Try www.rc-mushroom.com.

Oneway Lube

Cleaning putty

And don't forget the *spit* Super Grease as well...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

nice ride paul
Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Initial D,

You've got PM
Old 03-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Darth Vader
Initial D,

You've got PM
Hey Lord Vader...use the FORCE. No need for PMs...
Old 03-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Need some help with Kit

Welcome aboard alucard. Where are you located?

Try www.rc-mushroom.com.

Oneway Lube

Cleaning putty

And don't forget the *spit* Super Grease as well...
thanx for the info. I am in Miami. I race up in Palm Bay sometimes. I have a Mugen MTX-3 but alot of the racers at RPR here in miami use Serpents so i decided to give it a try. I hear its a good car but fragile.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Need some help with Kit

Originally posted by alucard13
thanx for the info. I am in Miami. I race up in Palm Bay sometimes. I have a Mugen MTX-3 but alot of the racers at RPR here in miami use Serpents so i decided to give it a try. I hear its a good car but fragile.
I guess the reason being it's very light... In fact almost under the legal weight.

If you're in Fl, you should not have any problems getting those parts, no?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a hobby shop just a little ways away that sells serpent and the guy who owns RPR track just openened a shop online and sells the parts trackside.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by FW05R
nice ride paul
Thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.