Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good to officially meet you on Sunday...I just wish we got to qualify on the track they hooked up for the mains!!! See you at Thunder Alley!!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Rookie

heres my situation.

after tightening the differential screw for a while nothing was happening. the screw seemed to be slipping and was not tightening or loosening. I have been told that i possibly snapped the diff screw and if so how do i fix it? can i do it myself without a hobby shop involvement?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

fluff - You mean, officially meet you again, haha.

Track was alright, you electric guys are just going to have to get used to that kinda stuff!

Good to hear you're safe after that starter box almost got you

camp - What car are you working on?

If you snapped the diff screw on a ball diff (like those in Losi and Associated cars) the diff won't work. You should be able to spin one tire and the other one won't move.

You should take the tranny out and apart, and the diff will probably just fall apart (there won't be anything holding it together). Make sure all the parts are ok, like the gear, rings, balls, outdrives, etc. and put it back together with a new screw and nut.

More than likely, you stripped the screw or nut that holds the diff together. You'll have to go through the same process to fix that.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LOL! You saw that too?! Oh man...I guess it was hard to miss.

Just thought I'd provide some fireworks before the Pro Main!!! Next race, I'll try and see if I can blow up a receiver box during a pit stop. Good times.

Did you get to see when I was driving and my buggy lost brakes at the end of the straight and tumbled into the orange net. The marshal had to unwrap that thing 8 times before he could get it out.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

That tumble at the end of the straight was nasty. Good thing that net was there or that would have seriously taken out some people in the pits!

There were a couple interesting "flying Pit stops" I saw as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

I had front row seats for The Great Fire of 2007. I was too amused to start laughing and risk missing any of the action. Joe The Firefighter was pretty liberal with that garden hose too. I was very impressed!

I don't think I saw your tumble specfically, but I saw a few cars test the strength of that safety net several times throughout the day.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default its me khanzie

well everyone that ive talked to does not like the ez start
and they say like that a glow starter (u now the one with the battery and no cord connecting to the back where u put the ez start).
because after a few starts the battery in the ez start becomes weak and turns the motor but does not heat the glow plug instantly and the becomes oiled up and wont start

most of the time in fouls the glow plug and i gotta get another one
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Hey Aaron do you think you can give me a complete run down on tuning the mf2 outside of the basic setups? I know guys have been some times using softer shock towers from the first xxx-t for blown out tracks and running a washer under the rear pivot to increase on power stearing on any track that offers decent traction. Is there anything else to know? Do you know if the ea3 chasis has shown any promise on the truck? I know some people are running the cr stearing rack because it increases stearing, but do you technicaly know what it does for the car, or is it just a better design for the rack? I haven't gotten a chance to run the truck w/ any of the new products yet as the season is just starting.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I don't have any numbers, but Spektrum advertises both their air and surface units (both add-on modules and complete radio systems, I believe) to continue to transmit a signal until the vehicle is too far away to control safely.

I wonder how far away that 'safe distance' is? Give or take a few yards....has anyone here managed to go out of range with their 2.4GHz radio?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I did. I walked down the street with my wife on the phone next to the car. I probably got 600 feet with quite a few obstacles in the way before it lost signal.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I did. I walked down the street with my wife on the phone next to the car. I probably got 600 feet with quite a few obstacles in the way before it lost signal.
That's interesting. 600 feet is a fair distance for a model car, but well within visual range for most 1/10th - 1/8th cars. You'd expect most FM radios to easily manage with that sort of range.

Do you suspect it was primarily the range or some form of 'conflict' because of the mobile phone's possible interference with the system?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Horatio
That's interesting. 600 feet is a fair distance for a model car, but well within visual range for most 1/10th - 1/8th cars. You'd expect most FM radios to easily manage with that sort of range.

Do you suspect it was primarily the range or some form of 'conflict' because of the mobile phone's possible interference with the system?

600 FT is "well within visual range for most 1/10th - 1/8th cars?!?" Haha, I'd love to see you try to race your rc car when its almost 1/8 mile away...

I'd say anything over 300 ft is PLENTY for any RC car racing...
Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Aaron... I'm running the XXX-T MF2 in a stock truck class using Novak 13.5 brushless and MaxAmps 6000 lipo. Is there some setups suggestions you could give to make the truck work with that setup without adding weight. I've only had one race day so far with the Matt Francis basic setup but will be trying the Adam Drake basic setup soon. Most guys at the track recommend adding weight to the rear. I don't have a huge problem adding the weight but I don't want to give up the one advantage I seem to have with a lighter truck if I can make it work well without it.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would think the basic setup would be find for the motor/esc combo. The only reason you would add weight in the rear is give you more rear traction, however w/ that combo you shouldn't have traction problems and adding weight will actualy cause the trucks rear end to swing around more frequently.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Mr. Waldron before you ran a Losi with their type of clutch what type of clutch would you run? Aluminum or composite? I've been running an aluminum shoe clutch that seems to get really hot and I was wondering if this is normal the clutch bell starts to blue after a couple of runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.