Wiki Posts
Search

losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert truck diff

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert truck diff

recentely read in one of the mags. that the new gear diff in the 1/10 desert truck will fit in the xxxt any one know any of the specifics? I like the maint. free gear diff and would like to give this a try in my MF2. thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you go with the gear diff, you have to get a new gear box with it because the gear diff won't fit in the regular one.
Here is what you'll need:
http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA2919
http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA2930

Hope this helps!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default diff

thanks, i just ordered these from horizon a min. ago $29.97 del. to michigan I will let everyone know how it works out.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Post back here when you try it out. I'm interested in trying this as well.

Future reference, try www.stormerhobbies.com or www.losipartshouse.com for Losi parts. I've always found them cheaper than Horizon.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newbie2
recently read in one of the mags. that the new gear diff in the 1/10 desert truck will fit in the xxxt any one know any of the specifics? I like the maint. free gear diff and would like to give this a try in my MF2. thanks in advance
I to would like to try this in my MF2 as well, I have been comparing part number from the MF2, CR-T and the DT.

It's based more off of the CR or old black transmission.

To make it work in your MF2, your going to need more than just trans case and Diff. gear Assembly.

Your going to need basically the entire transmission, CR T-plate, pivot block, motor plate and cover, and possibly the CVD drive shafts, because the Diff. and out drives are wider than the CR, the gray Gen2 trans is wider also , but with out having them side by side, it's hard to tell if it will be the same width as the MF2 .

If I get a chance I will compile all the part # needed to convert both the MF2 an the CR-T.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Oh, you have an mf2 (oops) then yeah, what he said^^^ Sorry bout that. Either way, you still need those parts. I would love to here how this works as well cause i need a very strong working diff for my project:
http://micromodz.all-up.com/non-micr...build-t269.htm

^^ go through it, the build is very interesting, and the neat thing is that its all comes from the grass, I'm only 14 so... You get the drift!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

When you get a list let us know. I have to rebuild the back of my truck anyway. The whole thing broke off. I might try a T-4 if this doesnt work. How do you think they will work in the HEAT of the S.W.? What about the Slash? it looks more to scale. I hope they start a class for them.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chrlie sidebite
When you get a list let us know. I have to rebuild the back of my truck anyway. The whole thing broke off. I might try a T-4 if this doesn't work. How do you think they will work in the HEAT of the S.W.? What about the Slash? it looks more to scale. I hope they start a class for them.
chrlie sidebite if you can't keep that Losi together, I think you should try a T4 , or maybe just stay away from the little kid with the red truck . LOL.

You know whats even more to scale, is that HPI Baja, I think thats going to be the next big class , I really think you should buy one them. JK.

I also heard that the Baja's Diffs are unbreakable.

All of the above is a inside joke with chrlie sidebite and not to be taken seriously.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default losi

I usually buy from LPH but they didn't have the parts I wanted. when I googled the part #'s they came up horizon... I have a old xxxt parts car laying around in case I need to convert to MF1 tranny... should be here Fri. will let u know how it is coming..... thanks for the help from all.. Tom
Old 06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its been tested, doenst work to well.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by busdriver
its been tested, doenst work to well.
James who tested it ?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Default losi diff change

well its done. must say it works excellent, I've run 2 lipo packs thru and works perfectly. fefiting the MF2 is a little more work than the cr but only 1 hour is needed if u have all the parts. For the MF2 u will need part# 2919,2930, tranny screw set for desert truck, these 3 parts are specific for the desert truck, t-plate for xxxt or cr, rear pivot block for xxxt or cr, idler gear, upper shaft and bearings for xxxt or cr, motor plate an gear cover for xxxt or cr..... on the MF2 u need to replace the dogbones with bones that are .215 longer, not sure about the cr dogbones. nowhere could I find anything about grease for the diff, I put in some moly grease, once I get it on the track I may change to some silicone oil if I can seal the diff. Oh one thing I added is a thin washer over the O ring and under the pin holding the outdrive on, this conversion cost me under $30 but I had all the part except the diff, case and screw set. I used all other parts from a old MF1 I had laying around.. good luck to all ... Tom
Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by newbie2
once I get it on the track I may change to some silicone oil if I can seal the diff.
Tom Losi say's that the diff is sealed.

Heavy-Duty Gear Diff

The Desert Trucks heavy-duty gear differential features dual rubber O-rings to seal out dirt, a hardened steel bevel and spider gears for unmatched toughness, a precision molded case and heat-treated outdrives.

Is this not true ?

Last edited by *Chrominator*; 04-17-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Will the DT diff fit in the CR buggy? If so, what parts will be needed?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

It will fit with the dt gearbox and if the tranny in the cr buggy (not familiar witht the buggy) is the mf2 tranny, you need all the parts that were listed above. If the tranny is the same as the xxx-t cr, all you need is the gearbox and diff.

And th gearbox should be sealed enough to use silicone
heres what rc car action had to say:

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.