losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert truck diff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert truck diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I've been racing my XXXT with a gear diff and like it.. Brushless lipo. I just put one in my new (umm.. my daughters new) Speed t as well. Here it is. First paint job so be easy on me.
Attached Thumbnails losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert  truck diff-img_1041-1.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

The speed t has a Desert Rat body, DT gear diff, DT shock rods and pistons, that raised it alot. So now I pretty much got a brushless desert truck. Paid $200 new in box e-bay, $24 for gear diff, $10 on the shocks, about $35 on the body painted... I'm not counting the hours. Right now I have the Excelorin in my race XXXT as I killed my Mamba (my fault).
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Initiate

here is another
Attached Thumbnails losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert  truck diff-img_1042-1.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

one more
Attached Thumbnails losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert  truck diff-img_1040-1.jpg  
Old 08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by move over
I would venture to guess that it depends on if your intent is to go racing or if you plan on just bashing.
For bashing I would guess they DT diff would be the way to go. But for racing, since spyder gear diffs predated any balldiff, I would think that a proper fully-functioning race-quality ball diff would still remain at the top of the heap.
Hmmm...So I shouldn't be winning races with the gear diff? That's why I was explaining the performance with different oils/greases. Don't get me wrong, the gear diff is not going to make you start winning all by it self. But it does work quite well once it's dialed in. And no more $20 diff rebuilds every couple of races.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is awesome, I run brushless and didn't know the desert truck had this new diff. I will definitely try it. I do have doubts regarding the parts needed.

For the original XXXT (the rtr) the motor plate is part LOSA 3049, is this the one used on the GEN1 transmission?
I'm asking this because the tranny case that fits the new diff seems a bit different from the one I have so I'm wondering if I should purchase a different motor plate than the one I already have...
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Initiate

You will not have to change your motor plate.. same stuff. I've been racing my gear diff and like it. I ordered another and its been on back order for 3 weeks and now they say the 20th. WTF? I have alot of Losi stuff ordered on backorder...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 929rog
You will not have to change your motor plate.. same stuff. I've been racing my gear diff and like it. I ordered another and its been on back order for 3 weeks and now they say the 20th. WTF? I have alot of Losi stuff ordered on backorder...

Isn't that the truth. I recently ordered a buch of little parts for my AD2. I had to order from three different places as nobody had everything in stock. My local shops (at least those within 2 hours of here) didn't have anything I needed. This didn't used to be the case for Losi parts...
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default gear diff

UHUHHOHO, problems. just encountered a problem somewhere with this setup. while racing last weekend my truck developed problems somewhere in the diff. started out slowing down and acted like it was slipping and sounded like when u were little when u put a playing card in the spokes of ur bicycle wheel. when I wud let up it wud catch an work until I excellerated hard, then do it again. the problem is in the diff cause the slipper and shaft both were turning. I replaced upper shaft, and the nylon secondary gear, dismantled the diff, found no signs of slippage anywhere.. I AM STUMPED. I have had this thing apart 1/2 doz times and can't find anything wrong. even went back to mf2 ball diff and everything works fine.... loved that ball diff but can't get a handle on whats wrong... truck also seemed to pull to the right when this was happening... also checked outdrives, bearings , carriers nothing wrong there. any suggestions....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by newbie2
UHUHHOHO, problems. just encountered a problem somewhere with this setup. while racing last weekend my truck developed problems somewhere in the diff. started out slowing down and acted like it was slipping and sounded like when u were little when u put a playing card in the spokes of ur bicycle wheel. when I wud let up it wud catch an work until I excellerated hard, then do it again. the problem is in the diff cause the slipper and shaft both were turning. I replaced upper shaft, and the nylon secondary gear, dismantled the diff, found no signs of slippage anywhere.. I AM STUMPED. I have had this thing apart 1/2 doz times and can't find anything wrong. even went back to mf2 ball diff and everything works fine.... loved that ball diff but can't get a handle on whats wrong... truck also seemed to pull to the right when this was happening... also checked outdrives, bearings , carriers nothing wrong there. any suggestions....
No worries. Exactly the same thing happened to me. Try put some 0,2 mm shims behind each main gear in the diff. I did that to mine, and now it's working flawless again

Still can't figure out why it was slipping in the first place though
Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

I just got 3 different weight of gear diff oil (8th scale) 5000,7000, 10,000 (Ithink). I've read about guys doing this to change diff action. We'll see, plan on trying all tomorow.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newbie2
look for a cut in the inner rubber o-ring, the small pin that lock the bevel gear on the outdrive go back on this oring and the gear slip then... it could happen even if the oring is ok but is to soft... a tip is to find a really thin metal shim to put beetween the pin and the o-ring.

CrazyRonny
www.crazyrcshop.com

Last edited by CrazyRonny; 08-18-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I figured I'd post in here instead of starting a new one.

I bought the LDT diff for my original XXX-T and am having trouble fitting the stock motor plate onto it? From reading through the last couple pages, Im told it will fit, but I cannot make the wholes line up or anything on the stock motor plate. Am I missing something??
Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tom, let me know how this works for you up at Dukes. I would love to get rid of diff maintenance if I don't take a hit on performance.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I got this one when I did the swap(my old one had a stripped hole):
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...X-dsh-T/Detail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.