Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kneedeeppow
thats what i wanted to hear lol. is the kit chassis plate graphite or plastic? any hopups recommended from scratch?
chassis is FRP, upper deck is plastic. Hop Ups...... extra front arms. And fast gear set. More upper arms. Several more.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by texastc
chassis is FRP, upper deck is plastic. Hop Ups...... extra front arms. And fast gear set. More upper arms. Several more.
so the front is a weakness? might not like my driving style,my f104s have a hard life i see a range of parts on rcmart already which is good. unfortunate that 104 feet dont fit
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Tryhard, by doing this mod to the rear arms , you are losing the roll center adjustments that can be made with the original fgx arms . As far as pro squat or anti squat, I'll have to investigate further to see if the rear arm mounts can be shimmed, and if they can be fitted with ball type hinge pin ends......if it succeeds ,then that will be it for all other so-called F1 cars...lol....
Wrong, I'm adding options. I can use shims under the ball studs to adjust the roll centre, and also move the link in or out on the hub to alter the camber change. There is zero options for that on a standard FGX setup, I suggest you re-check those points..
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

nice ride,that looks good how far off would a f104 body be on one of these chassis? i am fasinated with the diff configuration on these. much more realistic that a dirty big straight axle

thats what i wanted to hear lol. is the kit chassis plate graphite or plastic? any hopups recommended from scratch?
I fit my F60 F104 body onto the FGX successfully yesterday! I'll upload the pics somewhere and let you know how it looks. APparently I can't link URL's yet since I haven't posted enuf. ...

It looks good, had to cut some black pieces off of the rear end of the car to accomodate the shock posts, but otherwise it fit snugly. I had to re-cut the suspension arm openings up front and then re-attach those pieces elsewhere to fill the gaps, and also had to trim the bottom of the body so that it wouldn't rub against the bottom plate.

I used the Alonso 2010 stickers on my F104 PRO, so I had to go back to the older red stickers on the front/rear wings, plus the Bridgestone decals..

If any mods can help me remove my URL ban I would be grateful!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

You certainly can add shims to raise the roll center , but you can't lower the roll center like the standard turnbuckle can, by shimming the upside down ballstud . Also , after investigating the anti/pro squat possibilitied, I think it might too complicated to pursue. It's best to leave it alone; it won't make a huge difference at all....
Old 11-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Friction with the kingpin and pivot ball

I'm having rough motion with the front kingpins while compressing the suspension. There is a lot of friction because of the metal on metal contact. I put silicon oil on it and it now travels up and down, albeit it's rough and creaky. Not smooth like my f104.. F104 had plastic pivot ball.. Any adequate replacement pieces?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Our F1 Q3 Saturday video.

Q3 F1 Mikes
Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

You certainly can add shims to raise the roll center , but you can't lower the roll center like the standard turnbuckle can, by shimming the upside down ballstud . Also , after investigating the anti/pro squat possibilitied, I think it might too complicated to pursue. It's best to leave it alone; it won't make a huge difference at all....
And that proves something... shimming under the ball stud on the standard FGX will raise the roll center, not lower it. Not too mention inducing even more camber gain...

My setup, ball joint can still go lower on the inner point (just use a shorter ball stud, Tamiya one's are about 0.5-1mm shorter than the 3racing one there currently) to raise it, or add shims to lower, and I can add shims under the outer stud to raise as well... see more options! But then again, I can't be right, can I?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

What you are describing is the opposite of roll center adjustment ! If the turnbuckle is lower on the chassis side than the tire side, then the roll center is being lowered not raised !!! With your setup the bulkhead will prevent you from lowering the chassis side ballstud...the standard setup doesn't have that problem....
Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

The rear suspension needs to be the same on both side !
Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

What you are describing is the opposite of roll center adjustment ! If the turnbuckle is lower on the chassis side than the tire side, then the roll center is being lowered not raised !!! With your setup the bulkhead will prevent you from lowering the chassis side ballstud...the standard setup doesn't have that problem....
No, your wrong. Look at any setup manual, and do the calculations for yourself...

lower hinge pin = lower the roll centre
lower outer camber ball joint = lower roll centre
lower inner camber ball joint = raise roll centre

as for the suspension being different on both sides, don't be a dumbass... I put the picture up to compare the differences between the two setups

Please, just think before you write stuff..
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Looks like it raises the rear axle some as well which is good because some of the pics I have seen have the rear arms at crazy angles just trying to get the rear ride height down.
sorry, missed this one!
Yeah it does, means a couple of things... droop numbers are more in line what you'd run with a TC (standard setting I used about 10 on a gauge, new setup, 6) as the outer hinge pin is lower.
And it improves how the rear end droops, with the dogbone less like to bottom out on the wishbone.

But, I say again, if your using the ride rims, your unlikely to be able to get a TC hub to fit, as the internal diameter is a lot smaller than the rims I'm using.

HiH
Ed
Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Lower tire ballstud than chassis ballstud = raising the roll center !
Higher tire ballstud than chassis ballstud = lowering the roll center !
Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Lower tire ballstud than chassis ballstud = raising the roll center !
Higher tire ballstud than chassis ballstud = lowering the roll center !
Wrong and wrong! But at least you're consistent.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

It doesn't matter what you guys say , I trust my AE notebook knowledge , not your politics, and THAT will be the end of that discussion !!!!! Let's move ON !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.