Old 02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Around the 3rd week of Feb.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Well, to be honest, It's pushing and it's loose. I think part of it is just the fact that you cannot get enough mechanical steering throw out of the car too, but it was pushy at low speed
Hey Gary,
I'm no carpet racer but it sounds like you just don't have any traction at all. You can try what the guys here have mentioned but also try to get your car to weight transfer more (more body roll). That means softer shocks all around and/or more droop front and back. Washing out on power means you need more front droop- lets the weight rotate to the back when you get on throttle. Pushing off power means you don't have enough droop in back- the weight isn't shifting to the front tires.
Hard to tell without knowing your set up though... what are you running anyway?
Old 02-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OSherman
Anyone know when the Graphite Chassis (and other plastic parts) will be available??

-O
Got you covered
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Got you covered
mid feb for the parts... late march for the tub.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbonium
sup Billy? i have one here.. if you get a chance to get up here, i can show it to ya. i did buy the Xenon chassis, but havent installed yet... actually, i put it on, then reassembled with the tub for TCS use in April...
April is right my man!!!! I think we could get the 05 around the track and run in GT1 over here. I would love to bang the guys around in a carbon chassis car. Lutz and Dynoman would CRY!!!!!

Brant
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello people:
I`m looking for a rebuild kit for shock`s, # 53571 What I need is the plastic parts. Mainly the cap eyelets and the thumb screw adjusters. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POOKYT
April is right my man!!!! I think we could get the 05 around the track and run in GT1 over here. I would love to bang the guys around in a carbon chassis car. Lutz and Dynoman would CRY!!!!!

Brant
no joke!!! i did run mine in the saturday club race with 19T.. not bad, considering i had just barely gotten the car in time to assemble before we left!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbonium
no joke!!! i did run mine in the saturday club race with 19T.. not bad, considering i had just barely gotten the car in time to assemble before we left!
Don't you think we can do it? Carbon chassis and good shocks? With running it Sat at this years club race I bet we can tune them in like Butter!!! The X-Ray cars have always run good at our track with the flex in their chassis. I'm really thinking Front and center one-ways with carbon towers and chassis plus the good shocks could be the ticket! I dunno.........maybe I'm full of crap too!! LOL

Brant
Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Hey Gary,
I'm no carpet racer but it sounds like you just don't have any traction at all. You can try what the guys here have mentioned but also try to get your car to weight transfer more (more body roll). That means softer shocks all around and/or more droop front and back. Washing out on power means you need more front droop- lets the weight rotate to the back when you get on throttle. Pushing off power means you don't have enough droop in back- the weight isn't shifting to the front tires.
Hard to tell without knowing your set up though... what are you running anyway?
I don’t think it’s a droop issue…tried from 2mm over ride height to 4mm over ride height and everything in between and it still did the same thing. I had softened the chassis up and it rolled more, lost more corner speed and added .3-.5 seconds to each lap. Here’s roughly what I’m running with the LW arms

Front:
60wt oil-3 hole pistons
Blue spring
Red bar
Top of shock mounted 1 hole in from all the way out on graphite tower
Bottom of shock mounted in middle of the 3 hole side of arms
4-deg front uprights
Rear ackerman position
Front one-way
1XB front block, 1XD rear block
no kickup
1mm shim in front of arms, arms shimmed forward

Rear:
40WT oil- 3 hole pistons
Yellow springs
Red bar
Top of shock 2 holes in from all the way out in tower
Bottom of shock middle hole
Aluminum 0-deg rear hub carriers
1XC front block, 1XA rear block for 1 deg rear toe total
1.5mm shim in front of arm, arms shimmed forward

Tamiya A’s w/Tamiya Black inserts
0-offset rims
5mm hubs
Red and blue wheel shims
Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it sounds like you have gone to far standing your shocks up. I personaly run the two hole pistons all round with 50wt front and 40wt rear, red sway bars all round. although I may go up to the next roll bar as it pitches TO far in a corner.

One thing I did find, with the control tyre we use, on stock 24mm rims, the tyres moved o much which made for some 'interesting' handling. After going to inch-up 26mm rims to stretch and flatten the tyre, and run hard inserts, it is dialed.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Yea dude, I'm actually laid over all the way, running 40 weight all the way around with yellow springs and 3holes. I took off the bars completely.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Unhappy Handling issues!

Hi Gary,
I run mostly at the Tamiya track here in Aliso Viejo and run some club racing indoor asphalt. Been running Tamiya cars for the past 5 years and I don't claim to be an expert so take my suggestions with a grain of salt!
My TA05 works good in outdoors and indoors with low and high grip tracks.
The indoor being high and right now at the Tamiya track is low to medium traction.
Anyway, I've ran stock and 19 turn motors in my car and both work very well ,except the 19turn does make the car a little twitchy if you know what I mean.
All your settings look good and with the TA05 there are a lot of set-up that work, you obviously have a lot of hop ups and want to get the most out of your car. I too have the LW suspension and a lot of blue included with the LW.
All I can see that I might suggest is running a lot more toe-in. I'm running 3 to 3.5 degrees toe depending on track conditions, but never any less than that.
I think that would help a lot in the rear traction issue but not sure what the problem is in the front.
Another thing is Tamiya tires can be unpredictable, I've used A's,B's,B2's,B3's etc, etc. and the performance of the tires are not very consistant. I've tried thin superthin ,hard super hard soft medium etc, etc, on the inserts and they still aren't consistant from one set to the other. I know in TCS we have to use them and we have to find a reliable set up for them but this issue is a real headbanger. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on this issue. Sorry! Still trying to find my own tire combo!

I'm sure you've already checked but I have to ask! The tweak on the car, I mean this by using a tweak station you know the one with the bars and the bubble. After setting ride height, camber, toe then set it up on the tweak station and see if there is something going on there.

I'm wondering if your chassis is permanently tweaked. After all it's only plastic and I know of a couple of guys who have already replaced their chassis and they did this after the handling started going bad on them and no changes were made to cause this. Then they said it was perfect, so this tells me that the chassis are going bad after time or just one too many hard hits!
This is a cheap fix, I believe it's only $7-$10 for a new chassis. So it will not break you!
I hope I've been of some help!
Good Luck and don't forget to HAVE FUN!

P.S. TRF RACER on page 423 in the 415 thread has some interesting suggestions on set up for carpet. Might want to read that, it will pertain to the TA05 also!

Last edited by maxepower; 02-07-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Tamiya tire issues!!!

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
it sounds like you have gone to far standing your shocks up. I personaly run the two hole pistons all round with 50wt front and 40wt rear, red sway bars all round. although I may go up to the next roll bar as it pitches TO far in a corner.

One thing I did find, with the control tyre we use, on stock 24mm rims, the tyres moved o much which made for some 'interesting' handling. After going to inch-up 26mm rims to stretch and flatten the tyre, and run hard inserts, it is dialed.
Interesting suggestion, I might try this! Is this for carpet or asphalt?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Hi Gary,
I run mostly at the Tamiya track here in Aliso Viejo and run some club racing indoor asphalt. Been running Tamiya cars for the past 5 years and I don't claim to be an expert so take my suggestions with a grain of salt!
My TA05 works good in outdoors and indoors with low and high grip tracks.
The indoor being high and right now at the Tamiya track is low to medium traction.
Anyway, I've ran stock and 19 turn motors in my car and both work very well ,except the 19turn does make the car a little twitchy if you know what I mean.
All your settings look good and with the TA05 there are a lot of set-up that work, you obviously have a lot of hop ups and want to get the most out of your car. I too have the LW suspension and a lot of blue included with the LW.
All I can see that I might suggest is running a lot more toe-in. I'm running 3 to 3.5 degrees toe depending on track conditions, but never any less than that.
I think that would help a lot in the rear traction issue but not sure what the problem is in the front.
Another thing is Tamiya tires can be unpredictable, I've used A's,B's,B2's,B3's etc, etc. and the performance of the tires are not very consistant. I've tried thin superthin ,hard super hard soft medium etc, etc, on the inserts and they still aren't consistant from one set to the other. I know in TCS we have to use them and we have to find a reliable set up for them but this issue is a real headbanger. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on this issue. Sorry! Still trying to find my own tire combo!

I'm sure you've already checked but I have to ask! The tweak on the car, I mean this by using a tweak station you know the one with the bars and the bubble. After setting ride height, camber, toe then set it up on the tweak station and see if there is something going on there.

I'm wondering if your chassis is permanently tweaked. After all it's only plastic and I know of a couple of guys who have already replaced their chassis and they did this after the handling started going bad on them and no changes were made to cause this. Then they said it was perfect, so this tells me that the chassis are going bad after time or just one too many hard hits!
This is a cheap fix, I believe it's only $7-$10 for a new chassis. So it will not break you!
I hope I've been of some help!
Good Luck and don't forget to HAVE FUN!

P.S. TRF RACER on page 423 in the 415 thread has some interesting suggestions on set up for carpet. Might want to read that, it will pertain to the TA05 also!
I've run at TA for the Nats since 99 and have found that what has worked on carpet here does not translate to out there. I have finshed in the top 7 5 times in that time, including including 4 top 5 finishes. I would honestly never run that much toe in the back; If you need to run more than 2-2.5 degrees something's seriously wrong setup wise and you're scrubbing waaaaay too much speed on the straight away. The car is not tweaked and the droop settings are consistent from left to right. I also have to disagree with you in that I feel Tamiya Tires are very consistent from set to set, but then again I have an insert combo that has suited me well for some time. Again at a regional level on carpet I have made the A-main every time in every class I've run except once, and have yet (knock on wood) to miss the show in the GT classes and have multiple class TQ's and wins. I appreciate your feedback, but disagree with your conclusions.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Front:
60wt oil-3 hole pistons
Blue spring
Red bar
Top of shock mounted 1 hole in from all the way out on graphite tower
Bottom of shock mounted in middle of the 3 hole side of arms
4-deg front uprights
Rear ackerman position
Front one-way
1XB front block, 1XD rear block
no kickup
1mm shim in front of arms, arms shimmed forward

Rear:
40WT oil- 3 hole pistons
Yellow springs
Red bar
Top of shock 2 holes in from all the way out in tower
Bottom of shock middle hole
Aluminum 0-deg rear hub carriers
1XC front block, 1XA rear block for 1 deg rear toe total
1.5mm shim in front of arm, arms shimmed forward

Tamiya A’s w/Tamiya Black inserts
0-offset rims
5mm hubs
Red and blue wheel shims
I disagree.....
1XC front block, 1XA rear block for 1 deg rear toe total- You should be running atleast -2.5deg toe in. More toe= more cornerspeed. Everyone that is a mere mortal driver (that includes me!) must drive with atleast 2deg of toe with 2.5 being optimal. Cars just reacts much crisper, go where you tell it and allows you to jump on the throttle setting up straights. I guarantee the car is already scrubbing speed on the straight anyway because it is lacking the grip generated by the rear toe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.