Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I should have also said that I am using the aluminium diff halves with blades and the 44mm shafts
Old 07-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm using 42mm Aluminum Outdrives, what's yours?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
you need 416 stub axles... the pins offset is different
thank you sir. I will order them.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tpsolid
thank you sir. I will order them.
I think they are acutally considered TB03 wheel axles
Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Diff build

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Ok,
This is an old topic and I've read all about how you have to flip the diff and make sure the diff adjustment is on the correct side. I've done all that but I have a fit issue with the 46mm universals. I'm running the aluminum diff halves and the plastic ears for the dogbones, with TB03 axle shafts. The left side (where the adjustment screw access is) is fine and has several mm of movement in/out. The right side, however, is hitting the end of the diff screw and binding the suspension. There's ZERO movement on that side. The diff screw just seems to be way too long!

Anyone ever figure out the magic for getting the aluminum diff halves, plastic dogbone protectors, and 46mm universals to fit? Do I need to cut the diff screw down, or did I somehow manage to screw something up?
Hiya!

First off, you need to build the diff correctly. If the 46mm shafts do not fit, you need to look at the diff halves very carefully.
One side has a bit of shaft(we'll call it side A), the other side has a dimple where a bearing fits(side B)...
The spring and nut holder goes into side A(if it went into side B, the diff will exhibit the issues you faced), and the thrust bearing and diff screw goes into side B. Also make sure the diff plates sit proper as you assemble it, they slide out easily and will also cause mis-build.

I'm using 46mm shafts with absolutely no issues. No binding at all.

Good luck!

-Alexander
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by foampervert
Hiya!

First off, you need to build the diff correctly. If the 46mm shafts do not fit, you need to look at the diff halves very carefully.
One side has a bit of shaft(we'll call it side A), the other side has a dimple where a bearing fits(side B)...
The spring and nut holder goes into side A(if it went into side B, the diff will exhibit the issues you faced), and the thrust bearing and diff screw goes into side B. Also make sure the diff plates sit proper as you assemble it, they slide out easily and will also cause mis-build.

Good luck!

-Alexander
+1
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foampervert
Hiya!

Good luck!

-Alexander
Built it per the instructions the first time, then rebuilt it the way everyone else did (not seeing the little flipper-do sign). No difference. Tried putting the diff in both ways. No difference.

I meant to add that I am running stock blocks per the instructions, and that seems to make a difference in the width of the car. I think you can get away with 46mm shafts if you play with the optional blocks, but I'm not going there yet.

I rebuilt my diff per the instructions (again), but this time before I built it I cut about 2-3mm off the end of the diff screw. Now it fits flush with the plastic diff nut, and I have enough room to run 46mm shafts. But for safety sake, I've ordered some 44mm shafts.

Maybe my diff screw was slightly different out of the kit. My kit was one of the second batches to come out, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. My screw also had a slight bend to it near the end, which is probably going to screw me up in the long run. But for now it is tight, smooth, and ready for the rest of the build.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Initiate

I am using 46mm and aluminium outdrives without any problems.

Fabiz
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

I'm still on Dogs and Plasdiff
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Stock outdrives, stock blocks, and 46mm steel universals here. Works perfectly.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Outside of the Alfa Romeo 155VTI, the BTCC Alfa Romeo 156 was my next favorite... I'm glad it's available again
Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

I love my FF01... but I can't wait to get an FF03

My FF01

Last edited by akura2; 07-31-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by akura2
I love my FF01... but I can't wait to get an FF03

My FF01
Beautiful car, Mine is still in the box, wrapped in plastic, sitting on my shelf
Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default What motor?

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Stock outdrives, stock blocks, and 46mm steel universals here. Works perfectly.
What motor and esc setup are you using? I believe the stock diff halves, suspension blocks and stuff are perfectly fine for use with lightly tuned motors, silver cans or high turn brushless setups(17.5, 18 or 21.5)

Do you glue the diff rings to the diff halves and with what type of glue?

Likewise, for the suspension blocks, at lower speeds and handling forces do not affect the durability and handling of the plastic blocks as much.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Do you have the aluminum outdrives and dogbone protectors? I'd like to see a pic of the side with the diff nut if you can get one.
I have the alu diff installed and i also use the swing shaft protectors.
I don't have any pics of it as i don't have a camera yet. Sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.