Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
Main area I lost out in, and often got taken out in, was drive out of corners.
It was fine oncew steering was straight, but use any sort of turning and you will be rear ended.
Originally Posted by padailey
Ditto... I've tightened the diff as tight as I dare and coming off the corners it just won't go. Even with the steering straight I think I lose a little to 4WDs but its very obvious off corners. I'm trying to keep up the 4WD's in a 21.5 class and just can't hang.
I'm racing against 4WD cars as well and I'm having the exact same experience. Yesterday I managed to qualify 4th out of 10 (I was the only 2WD) but mainly because we run IFMAR starts for qualifying and I had a really clean run. In the main I think I got rear-ended by every car behind me at the start -- I just can't launch like they can. That literally put me into last place before turn one. I had a pretty good go and finished P4, but 2 laps down in an 8-minute race. We ran an exceedingly tight and technical layout with a short straight and several tight 180° turns, so the lack of low-end traction killed me. On a faster, more flowing layout I can hang better.

This was with 21.5/zero timing and hard Solaris premounts in Super GT+. As an aside, that class is working out great.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
Do you have a solution or are you just poking fun at my situation?

Yes there is a solution.

"If all else fails read the instructions"

The instructions say rubber glue not CA or epoxy
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by padailey
Ditto... I've tightened the diff as tight as I dare and coming off the corners it just won't go. Even with the steering straight I think I lose a little to 4WDs but its very obvious off corners. I'm trying to keep up the 4WD's in a 21.5 class and just can't hang.

You will always lose ground to the 4WD cars ... they are 4WD .. you are 2WD ... it is that simple
Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon
You will always lose ground to the 4WD cars ... they are 4WD .. you are 2WD ... it is that simple
On the launch and out of the corners, yeh, 4wd gonna pull ya but into and thru the corners the FWD seems to close up a little.
Mine really responds well to the throttle as soon as it starts to turn in and then diffs comin out.

Running sway bar on the front has seemed to help the diffin out when exiting the corners a little bit and not hurt the turn in too much on the high bite tracks.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Yes there is a solution.

"If all else fails read the instructions"

The instructions say rubber glue not CA or epoxy
I know about contact cement and Shoe Goo (or Goop), but I have never seen "rubber glue" available anywhere. Maybe the stuff is plentiful down under, but not here.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

I know about contact cement and Shoe Goo (or Goop), but I have never seen "rubber glue" available anywhere. Maybe the stuff is plentiful down under, but not here.
The point is that Tamiya say to use a flexible glue .. you are using hard brittle glues not designed for tis application. If you went to your local hardware store and asked about rubber glue you would see heaps of brands. Suffice to say that the contact cement or shoe goo is close enough. Just dont use inflexible glues like CA or Araldite (epoxy)
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have to admit that I have never found any 'rubber' glue anywhere either & Tamiya don't seem to recommend or make one themselves, but I have used Evo Stik, which appears 'rubbery' & does the job well... It would help no end if I remembered to place the diff in the right way round!

Regarding the 'diffing out' coming out of corners, I don't really suffer with that on dry, or high traction surfaces, sometimes it's simply the traction breaking free & the motor revving up as a result.

I have run the same stiffness rated springs front & rear & that helps tremendously as I find that the softer springs at the back get the rear end way too loose (a trick I learned with the FF01)
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The "diffing out" I refer to is when the inside drive wheel is lifting and spinning and not really a loss of traction (other than that one wheel getting lit up) and not a loose slipping diff either.
One tire fire, one wheel peel...

RtypeC tells me to stay smooth and let the car settle before pullin the trigger.
That is great advise and works, I have also found that for me, the swaybar seems to get it to settle quicker but too stiff of a swaybar takes away too much steering. I run the red/soft and sometimes the yellow/medium options.

As far as rubber cement goes, if the shoe goo type is not available, I'm almost positive that silicone gasket sealer will do it. It will stick, guaranteed and also be pliable.
You'll have to work to get it off for your next rebuild.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Tech Champion

The point is that Tamiya say to use a flexible glue .. you are using hard brittle glues not designed for tis application. If you went to your local hardware store and asked about rubber glue you would see heaps of brands. Suffice to say that the contact cement or shoe goo is close enough. Just dont use inflexible glues like CA or Araldite (epoxy)
The manual calls for "synthetic rubber cement". I'll have to take a drive around to the local hardware shops and see what's available. I'll also buy more diff rings and diff joints and try again. Perhaps something in Permatex's line if sealants / adhesives would suit.

www.permatex.com

Last edited by SteveM; 11-30-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just go to the Google and type "rubber cement".

About 1,240,000 results (0.11 seconds)

A jar of the classic Elmer's Rubber Cement will run you $1 USD and last you the rest of your life.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

True enough and I understand. I know several places that are running the 2WD and 4WD together and was wondering if anyone could really keep up. None of the "fast" guys here are running 2WD so that leaves me at the top of the 2WD heap. Trying to figure out if when TCS rolls into town if I'll be way off the pace.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

You have to remember that it is a translation from Japanese,so although the description is translated correctly the defenition got confused.
Just don't use a brittle glue (like in Super Glues) as it can flake, used a softer glue that has a little flex. I use EvoStik, which is also used for adding replacement rubber soles to shoes, and has also been able to salvage a badly split shell on a race day.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NiMo
You have to remember that it is a translation from Japanese,so although the description is translated correctly the defenition got confused.
Just don't use a brittle glue (like in Super Glues) as it can flake, used a softer glue that has a little flex. I use EvoStik, which is also used for adding replacement rubber soles to shoes, and has also been able to salvage a badly split shell on a race day.
There are several products under the Evo-Stik name brand. Would you be using the "Serious Glue" product perhaps?

Last edited by SteveM; 10-02-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Rubber glue----- go to a srationary store like Staples or you can look in the school supply section in any large drugstore chain like CVS.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Granpa
Rubber glue----- go to a srationary store like Staples or you can look in the school supply section in any large drugstore chain like CVS.
I'll check a local arts/crafts store here (Canada) and see if they sell Elmers Rubber Cement. That should do the trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.