Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed) >

Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Thanks, I've had good luck with them so far. I went with it years back because it was 150a as opposed to the 120a of the castle. What's the limitation on the hw that would affect speed? The newer mmx up to the task? I was trying to find an XL2 recently.
Not sure if yours does but a lot of HW ESCs have limiters that cut throttle when too much current or kv is used. The new MMX does this as well. They are both great for bashing, but in extreme conditions like speed runs they cut out throttle. Go with a MM2 or XLX. Thats what I run.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Not sure if yours does but a lot of HW ESCs have limiters that cut throttle when too much current or kv is used. The new MMX does this as well. They are both great for bashing, but in extreme conditions like speed runs they cut out throttle. Go with a MM2 or XLX. Thats what I run.
Hmm good to know, haven't had a chance to test the car with the new changes yet. but will look into the mm2, i've ready the xlx also limits something under high stres?

Oh i think I found a solution to not twisting/bending dogbones anymore
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, I've had good luck with them so far. I went with it years back because it was 150a as opposed to the 120a of the castle. What's the limitation on the hw that would affect speed? The newer mmx up to the task? I was trying to find an XL2 recently.
I have never tested one of the 150 amp hobbywings, but if it is anything like their other controllers, the 150 amp rating is highly optimistic by Castle's standards. We don't publish our car numbers because the rest of the market advertises with numbers that are so inflated from what we would ever rate their controllers. Both the MM2 and MMX will do 120 amps continuous for 5 minutes. I'm willing to bet the hobbywing would go into thermal shutdown at 150amps in under a minute. We have run the MMX in a Losi 5ive-T with a 2028 on 6s and it was just as powerful as a XLX on 6s, it just went into thermal shutdown after about a minute. We waited for it to cool out of thermal shutdown and ran it again until it shutdown continuously for the entire life of a 5000mah battery. Based on the numbers I've seen from our internal testing of other brands, I'd be surprised if the 150a hw controller could last more than 30 seconds in the same setup.

The XLX will run cooler than the MMX, but neither of them has any current limiting and will provide as much power to the motor as your batteries can produce.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

With newest firmware versions, there shouldn't be any current limited features on the MMX. It should be just as powerful as a MM2.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Hmm good to know, haven't had a chance to test the car with the new changes yet. but will look into the mm2, i've ready the xlx also limits something under high stres?

Oh i think I found a solution to not twisting/bending dogbones anymore
Nice shaft. The XLX has been updated and makes great power now but will still limit the power only in extreme conditions where motors that pull too many amps are pushed. Best esc for speed runs in the world.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Hobbywing and MMX escs have failsafe limiters that cut throttle in extreme conditions like speed runs where the motor pulls a lot of amps. Especially big high kv motors. The XLX used to do this too until they recieved new firmware. Now I consider it the best ESC for speedruns. The data logging and Castle's tunability cannot be matched.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Hobbywing and MMX escs have failsafe limiters that cut throttle in extreme conditions like speed runs where the motor pulls a lot of amps. Especially big high kv motors. The XLX used to do this too until they recieved new firmware. Now I consider it the best ESC for speedruns. The data logging and Castle's tunability cannot be matched.
Originally Posted by robert@castle
I have never tested one of the 150 amp hobbywings, but if it is anything like their other controllers, the 150 amp rating is highly optimistic by Castle's standards. We don't publish our car numbers because the rest of the market advertises with numbers that are so inflated from what we would ever rate their controllers. Both the MM2 and MMX will do 120 amps continuous for 5 minutes. I'm willing to bet the hobbywing would go into thermal shutdown at 150amps in under a minute. We have run the MMX in a Losi 5ive-T with a 2028 on 6s and it was just as powerful as a XLX on 6s, it just went into thermal shutdown after about a minute. We waited for it to cool out of thermal shutdown and ran it again until it shutdown continuously for the entire life of a 5000mah battery. Based on the numbers I've seen from our internal testing of other brands, I'd be surprised if the 150a hw controller could last more than 30 seconds in the same setup.

The XLX will run cooler than the MMX, but neither of them has any current limiting and will provide as much power to the motor as your batteries can produce.
Good to hear from the horses mouth, and that makes sense.
I think I am going to grab me a xlx soon I don't plan to run 8s but rather get the hardware that is built for more than I want to do. Good to know the limiting thing has been updated or not completely true from what I've read on the net. Also good to know the castle will not blow itself up and just shut down when you've tapped it out so you can run it again when it cools.

thanks!!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone using a Futaba 4PLS? I need more range and telemetry so I am thinking about switching to one for the new year. Trying to get a radio that will reach 1200 ft.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Just starting out in speed runs and need some advice. Have a vxl rustler roller and a Kenda motor and was looking to run 4s with either a tekin 1/8 esc or a mamba monster 2 esc. Not sure which esc to use.

The motor just fits in tranny , have no adjustment and bolt holes don't line up.
Was wondering what i would need to do to get this motor to work.
I need gears for this ?

Also is the Saga weighted bumper and top plate recommend or will bumper be enough,bumper weighs 1pound 8 ounces.

Need rim and tires? Is foams best way to go.

Any advice for this setup would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)-img_1458.jpg   Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)-img_1457.jpg   Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)-img_1456.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Good to hear from the horses mouth, and that makes sense.
I think I am going to grab me a xlx soon I don't plan to run 8s but rather get the hardware that is built for more than I want to do. Good to know the limiting thing has been updated or not completely true from what I've read on the net. Also good to know the castle will not blow itself up and just shut down when you've tapped it out so you can run it again when it cools.

thanks!!
When we were working on 1.78 firmware for the xlx we needed an awful setup to make sure it wasn't going to turn into a ball of fire. We stuck it in our Losi 5ive-t and then geared it up from 18/68 to 22/58. That wasn't enough to make it overheat, so we tapped 12 pounds of lead blocks to the car.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robert@castle
When we were working on 1.78 firmware for the xlx we needed an awful setup to make sure it wasn't going to turn into a ball of fire. We stuck it in our Losi 5ive-t and then geared it up from 18/68 to 22/58. That wasn't enough to make it overheat, so we tapped 12 pounds of lead blocks to the car.
Gotta love some torture test! good stuff!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spectre
Just starting out in speed runs and need some advice. Have a vxl rustler roller and a Kenda motor and was looking to run 4s with either a tekin 1/8 esc or a mamba monster 2 esc. Not sure which esc to use.

The motor just fits in tranny , have no adjustment and bolt holes don't line up.
Was wondering what i would need to do to get this motor to work.
I need gears for this ?

Also is the Saga weighted bumper and top plate recommend or will bumper be enough,bumper weighs 1pound 8 ounces.

Need rim and tires? Is foams best way to go.

Any advice for this setup would be appreciated.
http://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p2...eed_runs_.html
http://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p2...te_weight.html

Anyone with Rustler info experience
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Default My Vaterra V100 and Teaam Associated TC7

Here are a couple vids of my 1/10 speed cars. Both running high performance, low priced motors from
http://www.tppowerusa.com

Vaterra V100 6s 141 MPH
https://youtu.be/YEllrPXkvqU

Team Associated TC7 on ROARINGTOPUSA.COM 4s Lipo. 135 MPH
https://youtu.be/BAlvHLFnTKw

Both cars have much more left in them.

Last edited by tc4basher; 01-10-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Here are a couple vids of my 1/10 speed cars. Both running high performance, low cost motors from
TPPOWERUSA.COM.

Vaterra V100 6s 141 MPH
https://youtu.be/YEllrPXkvqU

Team Associated TC7 on ROARINGTOPUSA.COM 4s Lipo. 135 MPH
https://youtu.be/BAlvHLFnTKw

Both cars have much more left in them.
Wow that 4s car was very impressive, congrats on that achievement
Old 01-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spectre
Wow that 4s car was very impressive, congrats on that achievement
Thanks man. Much more 4s speed coming for the TC7.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.