Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elecRC23
Hey, guys, I'm new to building kits and was wondering how you tell what size the screws are. I hear about all the different sizes of screws and stuff, but I don't know how to tell which is which.
You can measure the length of the threads with calipers. All screws are slightly shorter than their called out length, for example, a 3 x 20mm screw will really have threads around 19.8mm long. Also, when measuring flat head screws, you measure from the base of the screw to the end of the threads.

In the TLR manuals, the screws used in the step have a 1:1 image of the screw, so you can always just lay the screw over the image to see if the length is correct.

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Question? I understand the shims that go under the front pivot mount to give the truck various degrees of ato squat in rear motor config. I have set mine up for mid motor though. Other than letting the screws pass them to go into the tranny, why are the inserts used for anti squat too. and do the shims and inserts need to match to get correct antisquat. My kit is built per instructions and it looks like the shims alone could get the job done.
The transmission mounting stacks upto the top spacer. The top spacer, and anti-squat shim must be the same number to get the proper stack up height.

Originally Posted by vito
some of my bolts were short and the 3m 20mm long were missing the ones that hole the gear box to the frame and the one for the rear bummper to the shock tower.
Is it possible those screws might have accidentally been used some where else?

Originally Posted by Cmjomaha
I am going to be running a Ballistic 8.5 and the recommended gearing looks to be 18/86. I have one of the Avid Triad slippers coming and my spur options are 81/84 or 87. So any suggestions with those spurs????
I'd suggest 17/84

Originally Posted by gmackhurry
Does anyone know who designed the 22 platform? Was it one person or many ? Just curious.
Dan Hissam was the engineer for all 3 vehicles, which feedback from Todd Hodge and Jukka Steenari as well as many of our team drivers.

Originally Posted by easye
Off the throttle a foot before the triple. No problems with my 22t making it,
You want to accelerate through the jump face which will help the suspension compress properly, without holding onto the throttle when leaving the jump.

Originally Posted by Sc Sandman
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to clearance the rear hubs for a long and low E-1 setup as i cant seem to find any info

Thanks fellas
You just need to use a Dremel (or similar high-speed rotary tool) with a sanding drum and remove material until there is no interference. Nothing special other than that.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
In the TLR manuals, the screws used in the step have a 1:1 image of the screw, so you can always just lay the screw over the image to see if the length is correct.
Okay, that's GREAT, because I don't have a caliper.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Great deal at $15.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...per-47256.html
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Alright, cool thanks a ton!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

IMO, calipers are an essential hobby tool that I always have with me. They aren't too expensive either.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

wow those calipers are pretty nice for 15 bucks
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Okay, since I didn't know about that, what else am I going to need as far as tools to build this truck. I am getting a set of metric hex wrenches, I am using my family's tool kit that has tons of stuff in it. I plan on buying the diff tool also. What else would you recommend?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank Root
You can measure the length of the threads with calipers. All screws are slightly shorter than their called out length, for example, a 3 x 20mm screw will really have threads around 19.8mm long. Also, when measuring flat head screws, you measure from the base of the screw to the end of the threads.

The transmission mounting stacks upto the top spacer. The top spacer, and anti-squat shim must be the same number to get the proper stack up height.

Is it possible those screws might have accidentally been used some where else?

I'd suggest 17/84

Dan Hissam was the engineer for all 3 vehicles, which feedback from Todd Hodge and Jukka Steenari as well as many of our team drivers.

You want to accelerate through the jump face which will help the suspension compress properly, without holding onto the throttle when leaving the jump.

You just need to use a Dremel (or similar high-speed rotary tool) with a sanding drum and remove material until there is no interference. Nothing special other than that.
there not in there look for hours lol in the book shows 3m by 20 and 3 x12 to hold the trans to the frame. on the bummper ones where to short btw thanks.
is it 4 3x 20 for the trans to the frame or did i mess up some thanks?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Okay, since I didn't know about that, what else am I going to need as far as tools to build this truck. I am getting a set of metric hex wrenches, I am using my family's tool kit that has tons of stuff in it. I plan on buying the diff tool also. What else would you recommend?
Well I didn't need calipers to build my truck, but you will need a good quality set of metric hex drivers and at least a 7mm and 5.5mm nut drivers. A 5mm helps too, but Losi does give you a Tamiya box wrench with all the sizes on.

A good Xacto knife and blades always helps.

I like the TLR Shock shaft wrench as well.

Soldering iron, solder.

Vaseline or Chapstick is good to use on the turnbuckle threads - otherss use black grease and green slime.

CA glue
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
They've been out for a year or two. Here's the link to them.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...n-2--LOSA7644G
hmm, guess if Amain doesnt carry them....then I guess they were never out to me. lol
Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Wow! I coulda had an 86?

Originally Posted by kdub
Are there many of you guys that want an 86? For my SC10 I always run 84 to reduce the pendulum effect and move the motor FWD just a bit.
I just ordered the slipper and about to go order 15t pinions. Would really prefer an 86 spur and use the 16t pinions I have.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Grandturk
Well I didn't need calipers to build my truck, but you will need a good quality set of metric hex drivers and at least a 7mm and 5.5mm nut drivers. A 5mm helps too, but Losi does give you a Tamiya box wrench with all the sizes on.

A good Xacto knife and blades always helps.

I like the TLR Shock shaft wrench as well.

Soldering iron, solder.

Vaseline or Chapstick is good to use on the turnbuckle threads - otherss use black grease and green slime.

CA glue
okay, i have green slime, ca glue, xacto knife and blades. i have the hexes in my family's tool box and the box wrench. also, which of the team sr shock towers do i need to buy? there are two options, the $50 ones or the $25 ones. the $50 ones come with the tower and the tower assembly ( dont know what that means) and the $25 one only comes with the shock tower and some nuts and bolts.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

okay, i have green slime, ca glue, xacto knife and blades. i have the hexes in my family's tool box and the box wrench. also, which of the team sr shock towers do i need to buy? there are two options, the $50 ones or the $25 ones. the $50 ones come with the tower and the tower assembly ( dont know what that means) and the $25 one only comes with the shock tower and some nuts and bolts.
Make sure you have good hex drivers! Rusty Allen wrenches should not be considered usable on this kit.

Forget the optional shock towers. Unnecessary.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The front is only the tower. For the rear you need to get the assembly the first time. The assembly comes with the aluminum mount that the tower bolts to. That way if you ever break a tower, which shouldn't happen in the truck, all you have to get is the tower.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
i have the 6 inch version of that, great deal. haven't had an issue with mine. every once in a while it will be a little off, but reseting it is easy. look for 'super coupons' that give you 20% off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.