DIGITAL OR ANALOG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DIGITAL OR ANALOG

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

hey scott did you ever try the 2300 protek just wondering from what i was told it will fit in 1/10 just cant drop the tank as much....also where can i get one of the tools to crimp the plugs on my wire (tower) and does the tool have a specific name
Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I used the protek 1300 lipo pack. As meron mentioned I was very interested in weight and space savings so it was the best choice. I chose the novak 3amp regulator with the switch. There are lots of regulators and I would probably choose a higher amperage regulator just for a margin of error. I also seem to be one of a dying breed that uses on/off switches.

Something else I did to save weight and keep things clean: I purchased the tool that crimps on servo plugs. All the electronics on my car have the wires cut to the proper length.

On my voltage regulator it was easier to cut off the shrink wrap the covers the voltage regulator. I unsoldered all the wires from the PC board and then cut them to length. Then I resoldered the wires and reshrunk the PC board. That all saves some weight, and makes the wiring a lot cleaner. If I ever want to eliminate the switch all I have to do is solder a jumper wire onto the PC board in place of the switch.
I am a tool whore, I want this thing you speak of lol.. That and short wires without soldiering on the board would be nice lol..

M- you have pm
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Radio shack sells the crimping tool for $6.00, it is made for crimping micro terminals, or just use a small needle nose pliers, it works too!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ght=servo+tool

Check out this thread with regards to the crimping tool, the small ends and new servo plugs if you want them.

I had not tried the protek 2300 lipo and probably won't. Here is what it comes down to. The 1300 mah battery has more than enough capacity for a 60 min race. I don't know how long it will last, but it is roughly equivalent to a 1750 mah nimh battery. More capacity than that is of no benefit to me. Now I want to maximize other things. The 2300 is 1 mm thinner than my nimh pack. The 1300 is 4 mm thinner. Now I can lower my fuel tank. The 2300 weighs 95 grams. The 1300 weighs 61 grams. The 2300 costs $45. The 1300 costs $29. To me this is a no-brainer... Get the 1300 or two.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Check out this thread with regards to the crimping tool, the small ends and new servo plugs if you want them.

I had not tried the protek 2300 lipo and probably won't. Here is what it comes down to. The 1300 mah battery has more than enough capacity for a 60 min race. I don't know how long it will last, but it is roughly equivalent to a 1750 mah nimh battery. More capacity than that is of no benefit to me. Now I want to maximize other things. The 2300 is 1 mm thinner than my nimh pack. The 1300 is 4 mm thinner. Now I can lower my fuel tank. The 2300 weighs 95 grams. The 1300 weighs 61 grams. The 2300 costs $45. The 1300 costs $29. To me this is a no-brainer... Get the 1300 or two.
just wana ask: how to you monitor the lipo voltage levels? we cant let the lipo voltage drop below 3.3v per cell rite?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

I already got two 1300's like you i had the same thoughts about the two batteries as you did.....but thanks i was just wondering.....
Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

what do you guys think about Futaba BLS451's? this is for a club racer with a new car, so im not all into pinpoint weight savings at the moment...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Radio shack sells the crimping tool for $6.00, it is made for crimping micro terminals, or just use a small needle nose pliers, it works too!
ok, my version of cheap tools are craftsman.. you would be allowed to shoot me in the face if i bought a tool from radio shack.. I know what the tool is and looks like.. I just dont have that tool for the 24awg wire lol
Old 02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks scott. I will be down your way on sunday. Spending 2 weeks there to see if I want to move there for a job.. WEEEE. going to see if I can take a look at the rc tracks too lol..
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
ok, my version of cheap tools are craftsman.. you would be allowed to shoot me in the face if i bought a tool from radio shack.. I know what the tool is and looks like.. I just dont have that tool for the 24awg wire lol
but it is the exact same tool that the hobby distributors sells for $15.00.
I probably shouldn't be giving out this information because I can actually buy it from Radio Shack and sell it for $15.00.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

I agree it has more than enough torque for an onroad car, I was just correcting Sam. Now, to correct you, the BLS weighs 60 grams. 5 grams makes a difference to me. 10 grams makes twice as much difference. Us racers (you included Nigel) spend quite a bit of money on hopups.. some of which are only to save weight. If/When I look for new electronics for an onroad car, the weight is a factor in my decision. You may not think it is worth mentioning, but obviously I think it is worth mentioning.

I don't disagree that a Brushless should last longer and draw less power. I haven't really worn out any of the motors in my brushed servos, but a brushless should be better for a longer period of time.... Assuming you keep your servos for a long time.

Now back to the weight issue. Somebody puts two Brushless servos into their car at 60 grams each. I currently use a 9452 and a 9550 in my sedan. My servos weigh 25 grams less than your servos. How much money will you spend on titanium screws, or titanium pillow balls or whatever to save 25 grams? It all adds up. Remember that at the next club race you run where they aren't weighing the cars.
To correct me? Scott, lets be honest here, you really think you can feel 5 grams on each servo on your car? Totaling 10 grams? Weight reduction through servos by 10 grams, i guarantee you're not going to feel that.

Weight reduction through titanium screws/pivot balls, drivetrain, now THAT you can feel the weight difference. At the 1/8th nationals my car was under by 80grams, and thats WITH a brass battery tray.

You think i factor in the 10grams to save weight from my servos?

And trust me, the majority of the population could care less about the weight of their servos. When i buy a servo, im looking into its specs as far as Torque and Speed.

And really i can't remember the last time i spent money on a hopup...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Scott- I can build 2400mah or 2700mah packs for $30. That's a no brainer- especially with an underweight car.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
To correct me? Scott, lets be honest here, you really think you can feel 5 grams on each servo on your car? Totaling 10 grams? Weight reduction through servos by 10 grams, i guarantee you're not going to feel that.

Weight reduction through titanium screws/pivot balls, drivetrain, now THAT you can feel the weight difference. At the 1/8th nationals my car was under by 80grams, and thats WITH a brass battery tray.

You think i factor in the 10grams to save weight from my servos?

And trust me, the majority of the population could care less about the weight of their servos. When i buy a servo, im looking into its specs as far as Torque and Speed.

And really i can't remember the last time i spent money on a hopup...
Yeah, Nigel to correct you. Here, I will do it again. Your two Brushless servos weigh 120 grams total. Mine weigh 95 grams. That is 25 grams, not 10. If you are going to have a discussion, at least get the facts straight.

When I buy a servo, I look at a lot of things. Just like you I look at Torque and speed. Once I find servos that meet my specifications I look at other things. Cost, and now weight are factors in my decision. I have not tried the BLS servos, so I can't say anything about their performance. I can only read their specs and speculate about their longevity and battery consumption. I agree that they SHOULD draw less current and last longer, but I don't know this for sure. All I know for sure if they have a touch more speed, torque, weight and they will lighten my wall by an additional 25% all while giving me things I don't really believe are needed. At least not for me. If you want the benefits (torque, speed, and the other things that are probably beneficial) then use them.

I don't know if I can feel 25 grams, but I bet my engine can. I bet my tires can. Besides that, it is a cumulative thing. I save 25 grams on my servos, I save weight on the screws, I save weight on the pillow balls, my front spool. It all adds up and it does change the performance.

Maybe you haven't spent any money on a hopup, but many racers do. Your dad does own a hobby shop... maybe you should take a look for some stuff.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, Nigel to correct you. Here, I will do it again. Your two Brushless servos weigh 120 grams total. Mine weigh 95 grams. That is 25 grams, not 10. If you are going to have a discussion, at least get the facts straight.

When I buy a servo, I look at a lot of things. Just like you I look at Torque and speed. Once I find servos that meet my specifications I look at other things. Cost, and now weight are factors in my decision. I have not tried the BLS servos, so I can't say anything about their performance. I can only read their specs and speculate about their longevity and battery consumption. I agree that they SHOULD draw less current and last longer, but I don't know this for sure. All I know for sure if they have a touch more speed, torque, weight and they will lighten my wall by an additional 25% all while giving me things I don't really believe are needed. At least not for me. If you want the benefits (torque, speed, and the other things that are probably beneficial) then use them.

I don't know if I can feel 25 grams, but I bet my engine can. I bet my tires can. Besides that, it is a cumulative thing. I save 25 grams on my servos, I save weight on the screws, I save weight on the pillow balls, my front spool. It all adds up and it does change the performance.

Maybe you haven't spent any money on a hopup, but many racers do. Your dad does own a hobby shop... maybe you should take a look for some stuff.
Whatever Scott, arguing with you is pointless. Nobody can ever win because you're ALWAYS right, aren't you?

The point I'm trying to make is that, even if you ask Barry Baker, when he builds his cars he doesn't even think about weight. We had a long conversation about this at TFT. If you see officials tech his cars, the triple beam balance scales drop to the ground.

You make the servos sound bad because they're THAT much heavier. And really it is not that big of a deal.

Here how about this, try running the servos in your car sometime, and see if that 25g makes you that much slower. Then come back to me.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Scott
when the last time you win major race with all fast drivers?
you too much concern on weight and too much talk, I guaranty you still not faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.