Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jamie24
Can anyone recommend which are the best alu rear uprights to use, which fit best please?

Tamiya 54137 TB03D (1*)

or

Tamiya 54429 TA06 (0*)

thanks, J
In my experience. When you put toe at the hubs. It plants the rear end too much. 0 degree hubs have always been my choice.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

well I'm about ready to start this evo 6 build, I'll be running it in 17.5.can you guys recommend a starting place for pinion and spur and pitch. thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

I give my EVO now finally up and use some parts as a replacement for my TRF and the rest is sold.

Was driving today and always the same problems with the spool and gears, no nerve more.

Goodbye EVO 6 Thread
Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Simmi;13517743]I give my EVO now finally up and use some parts as a replacement for my TRF and the rest is sold.

Was driving today and always the same problems with the spool and gears, no nerve

Ok, I guess 419 is the next project destination in a few months.

Last edited by CW22; 10-06-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CW22
Oh come on! What is wrong with your car?
I never have any problems with my EVO6 since I build it and today
I could compete with some 418 cars on the track.
Ok, I guess 419 is the next project destination in a few months.
He said he was stripping gears a lot in previous posts.

I do wonder how my will hold up, my first run will be later this month. I'm using carbon reinforced gears in the transmission cases, but I minimized the amount of shims under the pinion gear to reduce as much of the dirty/grindy gear feeling against the ring gear as possible. No slop, turns nicely, but it's hard to tell if the mesh is good. Since the kit called for 0.3mm and I only have 0.1mm between the pinion and the smaller bearing, I worry a bit.

Fingers crossed!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CW22
Oh come on! What is wrong with your car?
Nothing.

If you read the TB03 and TB04 threads there is always a universal undercurrent of users that have continuing problems with the drivetrain. Setting them up properly past the instructions isn't in everyone's skill set.

Some people are just cut out for belt drives.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by metalnut
I do wonder how my will hold up, my first run will be later this month. I'm using carbon reinforced gears in the transmission cases, but I minimized the amount of shims under the pinion gear to reduce as much of the dirty/grindy gear feeling against the ring gear as possible. No slop, turns nicely, but it's hard to tell if the mesh is good. Since the kit called for 0.3mm and I only have 0.1mm between the pinion and the smaller bearing, I worry
You should. It's not going to live very long, and it will be noisy after the gears bed in.

The way to reduce plunge is to add shims on the side of the shaft that is outside the case till you can't fit anymore.

The 40t tb04 ring gears have some molding irregularities that show up with a "rough spot" that shows up at even intervals if you turn it by hand. Where it seems like its going to be the death of the gearbox, all the roughness goes away after you run the car and bed in the gears once.

If the OCD in you can't stand the idea of them not being perfect, buy two packages of Tamiya 51255 Evo5 39 tooth one way gears, throw the pinions away, and install them instead of the 40T TB04 ring gears. You will have to adjust your gear ratio slightly (the ratio is 2.4375 rather than the 2.5).

Ive ran it both ways. Other than the pinion, there isn't any difference.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

At the TCS Finals, I told Bill McEuen I would write a tutorial on setting up the gear train on the TB04 variants. Today looks like a good day to do that.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
At the TCS Finals, I told Bill McEuen I would write a tutorial on setting up the gear train on the TB04 variants. Today looks like a good day to do that.
C can you do a video instead of writing the tutorial!
I would film it for you!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

I think the plastic Tamiya uses for the gears is not right. I have managed to modify the gear diff case to take a Yokomo SD crown wheel and seems to have no issues. The Yokomo gears are a sort of tough nylon different from that of Tamiya's. The reinforced gears are just a bad idea in my opinion. They are too rough and have too much friction. The plastic ones are too hard. They should probably use the same material they use on the bevel gears of their DF03 line of cars, I reckon. Those fell more like the material in the Yokomo gears.

To modify the diff case takes a lot of work and a good lathe, so not for the average modeller, but it can be done. The driving pinion had to be modified a bit as well to change the protrusion (plunge), but that was easy. My SD has run for a long time with these gears and there was never a problem (best sign is how silent, smooth and free the drivetrain is).

Too bad Tamiya seems unwilling to address these issues, the EVO6 could have been a good car. They might have just provided the best opportunity for their competition to come up with a good car in this market segment and Yokomo has the inside lane.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

You should. It's not going to live very long, and it will be noisy after the gears bed in.

The way to reduce plunge is to add shims on the side of the shaft that is outside the case till you can't fit anymore.
Right, I know that to reduce plunge you add shims to the outside of the shaft, I did that as well. But with 0.3mm of shims (per instructions) under the pinion, I had pretty bad binding in the way you describe (regular irregularities). So that's why I moved the pinion back by removing 0.2mm and leaving only one 0.1mm shim under it. So you're saying I should go back and use what the instructions said (0.3mm under pinion), but then just shim out the plunge? I can certainly do that, it'll just need serious breaking in.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Right,I know that to reduce plunge you add shims to the outside of the shaft, I did that as well. But with 0.3mm of shims (per instructions) under the pinion, I had pretty bad binding in the way you describe (regular irregularities). So that's why I moved the pinion back by removing 0.2mm and leaving only one 0.1mm shim under it. So you're saying I should go back and use what the instructions said (0.3mm under pinion), but then just shim out the plunge? I can certainly do that, it'll just need serious breaking in.
I am also only running a a single 0.1mm shim in that spot and after many battery packs no wear.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Right, I know that to reduce plunge you add shims to the outside of the shaft, I did that as well. But with 0.3mm of shims (per instructions) under the pinion, I had pretty bad binding in the way you describe (regular irregularities). So that's why I moved the pinion back by removing 0.2mm and leaving only one 0.1mm shim under it. So you're saying I should go back and use what the instructions said (0.3mm under pinion), but then just shim out the plunge? I can certainly do that, it'll just need serious breaking in.
I do, and it will all be fine after a pack.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

I do, and it will all be fine after a pack.
Ok, I'll do as you suggest. I want to love this car, so far I like it a lot with some fears of durability. Maybe this will ensure just that.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

If you want it to be better before you run it, switch to 51255 gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.