Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How do you plug this ps into a wall socket? >

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

I just crimped the ring terminals, they're on very sturdy and I can't find a place to put solder anyway.

Can anybody go over where you attack the wires from the charger?
Old 12-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AE Racer
I just crimped the ring terminals, they're on very sturdy and I can't find a place to put solder anyway.
That should be more than sufficient. When people solder crimped terminals, they usually do it like plumbers solder copper pipes. The solder sort of soaks into the nooks and crannies. I don't because if you add too much, the solder wicks up into the wire and makes it brittle where it exits the crimp, and I really hate having to recrimp things before I'm ready to. My $0.02 again.

Can anybody go over where you attack the wires from the charger?
Personally, I refrain from attacking any of my RC gear.

Your charger will most likely have a pair of wires coming out of the back, one red and one black. Red is +, black is -. Attachment to the power supply is up to you, but I've had good luck with ring terminals (like you used for the AC line) if you only connect one device, or a breakout box (as shown earlier in the thread) if you need to connect more than one thing.

-dave
Old 12-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've learned alot from posting this topic. I'll post pics of my setup soon, right after I install my power switch. I ended up canabalizing a power strip for the on/off switch which is also lighted and works great.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

I took the cover off!! drilled a hole in the back plate for the cord ran it through, and soldered the ac line inside the power supply, you will see the three lugs inside leading to the outside screw terminals. Then I removed the outside screw terminals by prying them up grab them with needle nose pliers and twist them off as well as any lug left that you see. Wallah!! no more Shock Hazard!! put your cover back on all your ac connections are inside TOTAL TIME SPENT 20 Mins yes I use a strain relief on the cord inside the power supply. Two zip ties real tight work well. burr the hole you drill well, and blow out the metal shavings.

Last edited by pecor; 12-29-2003 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by pecor
I took the cover off!! drilled a hole in the back plate for the cord ran it through, and soldered the ac line inside the power supply, you will see the three lugs inside leading to the outside screw terminals. Then I removed the outside screw terminals by prying them up grab them with needle nose pliers and twist them off as well as any lug left that you see. Wallah!! no more Shock Hazard!! put your cover back on all your ac connections are inside TOTAL TIME SPENT 20 Mins
That'll work great, but I hope anyone else thinking about this is very careful. You'll need to use a good strain relief or at the very least a grommet where the cord exits the case to keep it from chafing and eventually shorting, which would be bad.

As always, beware when working on 120V stuff.

-dave
Old 12-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Here's a pic of mine:

Do I have the terminals for the charger's aligator clips in the right places? I couldn't find binding posts so I put a terminal (rod) in a ring terminal and soldered them together.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

AE Racer Yep that looks Good! you may want to do the mod I posted above about running the AC line inside it works well!! and yes I use a strain relief on the cord inside the power supply. Two zip ties real tight work well. burr the hole you drill well, and blow out the metal shavings.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Ill give it a try now then. I dont think I feel comfortable enough working with electronics to do your mod.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by pecor
AE Racer Yep that looks Good! you may want to do the mod I posted above about running the AC line inside it works well!! and yes I use a strain relief on the cord inside the power supply. Two zip ties real tight work well. burr the hole you drill well, and blow out the metal shavings.
I do the wire tie trick too. Learned it from my dad

You also need to use something like a grommet in the hole, to keep the (deburred but still somewhat sharp) metal case edges from damaging the insulation ofthe AC wire over time. A pack of them is about $0.99 at my local hardware store...

-dave
Old 12-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

dpaton,
The peeps on this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=30141 can use some of your wisdom. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by forty6
dpaton,
The peeps on this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=30141 can use some of your wisdom. Thanks.
I swear, I should write a FAQ for Futureal....

I'm glad all you guys are enjoying the cheap power supplies. Fun is what it's all about here

-dave
Old 12-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know if these power supplys are still availble? The auction on the link is closed.

Thanks, Sam
Old 12-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes they are And they are Great for the money http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=36323
Old 12-31-2003, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, Just orderer 2 for that money it seems like a no brianer!
Old 12-31-2003, 11:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Your Welcome Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.