Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yea, has to be which really pisses me off cause I was told it was in excellent condition. Now I won't be able to race it saturday because I'll have to order parts.
Here is a video I tried taking on my phone on my break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDS_Ch1V4Lk
Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapjack
Yea, has to be which really pisses me off cause I was told it was in excellent condition. Now I won't be able to race it saturday because I'll have to order parts.

Spinning at low speed like that I'm gonna say your diff is just not turning both axles when there is a load on them like turning. Let us know how it looks but if the fluid is a lighter weight I'm guessing the diff is just doing its job. It looks like they both spin when the steering is straight??
Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hoyt1967
Spinning at low speed like that I'm gonna say your diff is just not turning both axles when there is a load on them like turning. Let us know how it looks but if the fluid is a lighter weight I'm guessing the diff is just doing its job. It looks like they both spin when the steering is straight??
Ya they do both spin when straight ahead but also why the hell is it turning when I spin the spur? Even if I hold the front hubs straight and spin the hexes I can feel them wanting to pull right and left and if I move the servo arm/turnbuckle to steer the front the spur and hexes turn. Idk maybe I'm reading too much into that but I've never seen that before. I'll be pulling it apart in a couple hrs
Old 12-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ya they do both spin when straight ahead but also why the hell is it turning when I spin the spur? Even if I hold the front hubs straight and spin the hexes I can feel them wanting to pull right and left and if I move the servo arm/turnbuckle to steer the front the spur and hexes turn. Idk maybe I'm reading too much into that but I've never seen that before. I'll be pulling it apart in a couple hrs
Make sure your cvd joints aren't binding up. Clean and grease. Also never hurts to check out the bearings in the hubs....
Old 12-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

LOL I hear ya, I just remember running mine on the stand at low speed and it did that, I checked everything and it was ok, when I ran it at a higher speed it was fine. I know on real cars they do the same thing one axle will usually quit spinning as the load increases when its turned sharp. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Might just be bad bearings...specifically the left hub or left side of the diff since it's not spinning
Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Adjust Steering EPA. Most rc car not same EPA Left/Right. Put the ground with wheels then adjust EPA left/right. Seems it binding if too much steering.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GregerL
Make sure your cvd joints aren't binding up. Clean and grease. Also never hurts to check out the bearings in the hubs....
This is the problem. The cv joints are binding. But I don't know how to fix them. I think the whole drive shafts and pins that go inside the ball part of the cv need to be replaced. I cleaned them and put em back in and they don't even slide in smooth. I have to press them in and then they don't move. It's like the ball part and/or the pin parts are deformed or something.

And both front hinge pins are badly bent.

Talked to the seller and he refunded $ for all the relacement parts. At least he was cool about it. He must not have noticed it while he was running it.

Last edited by Slapjack; 12-15-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

does anyone know when the 2017 version will be in U.S. hobby shops?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sealander
does anyone know when the 2017 version will be in U.S. hobby shops?
Soon probably in the next couple of weeks...according to RCA
Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is the problem. The cv joints are binding. But I don't know how to fix them. I think the whole drive shafts and pins that go inside the ball part of the cv need to be replaced. I cleaned them and put em back in and they don't even slide in smooth. I have to press them in and then they don't move. It's like the ball part and/or the pin parts are deformed or something.

And both front hinge pins are badly bent.

Talked to the seller and he refunded $ for all the relacement parts. At least he was cool about it. He must not have noticed it while he was running it.
That would have to be one hell of a hit to cause that much damage. Someone is not telling you everything.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

when i see 27mm on setup sheet for rear shock , is it from ball joint to shock body ? or from shock body to upstrom shim ?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

check the little pinion gear where it comes in the shaft
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pville Stig
That would have to be one hell of a hit to cause that much damage. Someone is not telling you everything.
I pulled the rest of the car apart last night and everything else is in very good condition. And I still don't completely understand what's up with the barrels not fitting in the cv ball at the end of the drive shaft. Its just weird that that piece deformed but I guess if it was jammed into that bearing it could have caused it. The left side was the worst along with the bent hinge pin. The right was slightly tweaked. And I did find a notch out of the left front arm next to the hinge pin. So I am assuming he clipped something with that side and tweaked those parts. But I am redoing the whole setup back to box specs. so I will catch any other issues that may have been caused. But so far the rest looks good.

Just a couple quick questions.
1. the internal ratio on the XB4'16 is 2.5 right? I am thinking I'll start with 13.5T and get the center diff (81T spur) and start somewhere around 7.0-8.0 ratio.. sound about right?

2. I am going to run on clay so I ordered some medium side braces. Do you think I should also get the medium center chasis braces or stick with the hard for now and see how the center diff and med side braces do? then go from there.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I pulled the rest of the car apart last night and everything else is in very good condition. And I still don't completely understand what's up with the barrels not fitting in the cv ball at the end of the drive shaft. Its just weird that that piece deformed but I guess if it was jammed into that bearing it could have caused it. The left side was the worst along with the bent hinge pin. The right was slightly tweaked. And I did find a notch out of the left front arm next to the hinge pin. So I am assuming he clipped something with that side and tweaked those parts. But I am redoing the whole setup back to box specs. so I will catch any other issues that may have been caused. But so far the rest looks good.

Just a couple quick questions.
1. the internal ratio on the XB4'16 is 2.5 right? I am thinking I'll start with 13.5T and get the center diff (81T spur) and start somewhere around 7.0-8.0 ratio.. sound about right?

2. I am going to run on clay so I ordered some medium side braces. Do you think I should also get the medium center chasis braces or stick with the hard for now and see how the center diff and med side braces do? then go from there.
I use Ethan Lefebvre's setup on the xray site as a starting point. Gearing is going to depend on how big or small/tight your track is. You might want to get the car up and running on the track before making any big changes. These cars are very good right out of the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.