Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ongbenghui: bud! you were right! it was the top shaft! i replaced it last night at the track and after 10 practice runs, no stripped spur! all this despite some hits with the barriers which normally (before i changed the shaft) would have stirpped my spur. apparently there must have been some defect on the top shaft - misaligned probably. and i dint have to do any exessive tightening of the motor clamp. thanks a lot!

highwayman: i went thru 3 spurs already before last night so it couldnt have been the spur. apparently it was the top shaft. problem solved! thanks for the suggestions as well bro!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, I race with Mimno and his problem seems to be drivetrain related, so any idea's on what may be causing it would be most helpful.
His motor's and electronics are going fine in his MR4TC and he knows how to gear properly, when on the track it just seems like he's running a stock motor when everyone else is running a mod.
The car doesn't pull to one side so it doesn't seem related to one particular side or corner of the drive train, he's tried various belt tensions, at the moment it's just slack enough to make the usual XXX-S belt slipping sound under hard braking. His diffs seemed slightly tight when I fealt them but not hugely so, not enough to slow him down so much anyway.
There isn't any excess noise from his car on the track, so gear mesh seems fine, could a badly moulded spur gear still cause problems?

He's rebuilt the car atleast once so I would of thought he would notice any obvious problem, he's an engineer so knows how to build stuff too I hope

I started thinking of simple things he could of missed and suggested the drive hex's could be binding on the bearings, suprisingly he hadn't checked that, is this a common thing for the Losi? I know another Losi at the club had problems with getting the hex's to fit inside wheels.

Don't worry if you can't help, it just gives me more ammunition to use to talk him into getting a Barracuda R2
Old 06-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

has he tried putting in a different motor? if he puts in a stock and is really slow, it is the car. if he rebuilt the car once, its not the car. if its not the motor, maybe he overtightened the nuts that hold the wheels on and he is pinching the bearings, making it slow. this is the only thing i could think of.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

He's tried about four different motors, two speedo's, two recievers, all his cells. He doesn't normally use excessive force when tightening things like wheel nuts, could be he needs some shims though.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

I've just done the same swap, from a Yokomo to the Losi and I noticed some of the wheels I used happily on the Yoke will bind on the hubs of the Losi.

The Hex recesses in the wheel were too deep and when the wheelnut was tightened, the outer edge of the wheels hex would rub on the front and rear hubs. It should be easy to tell if this is happening, just pull the motor out and roll the car, listening for rubbing or look on the hubs for wear marks.

If you look at the factory Losi wheels, the hex is molded quite shallow so this won't happen.

Other than that, I'd go over all the bearings and make sure they're sweet.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Herminator

Don't worry if you can't help, it just gives me more ammunition to use to talk him into getting a Barracuda R2
We're not going to lose him to the R2...LOL Everyone has suggested everything that I would have. I'd check the spur gear and the arm for the belt tensioner. If the other Losi car is working fine with the same set up then it's gotta be something simple that we all may be over looking Bearings maybe???
Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Simon K
I've just done the same swap, from a Yokomo to the Losi and I noticed some of the wheels I used happily on the Yoke will bind on the hubs of the Losi.

The Hex recesses in the wheel were too deep and when the wheelnut was tightened, the outer edge of the wheels hex would rub on the front and rear hubs. It should be easy to tell if this is happening, just pull the motor out and roll the car, listening for rubbing or look on the hubs for wear marks.

If you look at the factory Losi wheels, the hex is molded quite shallow so this won't happen.

Other than that, I'd go over all the bearings and make sure they're sweet.
Yokomo wheels have a smaller axle hole than the Losi. If you use yokomo wheels you need to enlarge the hole slightly and you'll find that the hex slides on just fine.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Hehehe, I know about the axle size difference, I bought a knife edge reamer that makes short work of any "issues"

My badly explained point was that some wheels I'd used on the Yoke(Older Frewer wheels) had a much deeper hex moulding on the wheel itself than the Losi(or Yokomo)factory wheels do.

While these Frewer wheels posed no problem with my SP, the much thinner "wheel hex drive" part on the Losi meant that the wheels inner hex moulding would rub on the front and rear hubs.

Eg,
I have some aluminium Tamiya hex drives that are 5.5mm thick, the Losi ones are 3.5mm. I used to use the Tamiya items to widen the Yokomo car slightly which meant I could run some wheels that would bind on the hubs if I used the "Factory" hex drives in the kit.

I'm pretty sure the Yokomo plastic hex drives are wider than the Losi ones so anything that was going to be a problem on the Yoke is definately a problem on the Losi...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

If the other Losi car is working fine with the same set up then it's gotta be something simple that we all may be over looking
Its time to change out the body clips... ....thats whats slowing you down. You need to get some new Losi body clips and all will be solved..... Thats all thats left that it could be

Ohhh boy its time to go home and get outa work
Old 06-18-2003, 09:48 PM
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those using the TC3 wheel hexs, what is the part number of the part to use for tamiya type of wheels?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi,

TC3 wheel hex is a standard 12mm hex. I believe it should work for tamiya wheels. only the Losi come with their smaller wheel hex for Losi wheels.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by GKC
For those using the TC3 wheel hexs, what is the part number of the part to use for tamiya type of wheels?
I'm not sure of the AE part number but it's the standard wheel hex for the TC3. If you want the aluminum clamp style wheel hex from yokomo that part number is SP-395OC price is $9.50 a pair. These fit into the Tamiya wheel.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by ROBORAT
ongbenghui: bud! you were right! it was the top shaft! i replaced it last night at the track and after 10 practice runs, no stripped spur!
Great! you might want to use some thread lock on the screws such that the screws that secure the top shaft wouldn't come lost.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ongbenghui
Hi,

TC3 wheel hex is a standard 12mm hex. I believe it should work for tamiya wheels. only the Losi come with their smaller wheel hex for Losi wheels.

The graphite plus kit now comes with the small wheel hex and the standard 12mm hex.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys, I race with Mimno and his problem seems to be drivetrain related, so any idea's on what may be causing it would be most helpful.
His motor's and electronics are going fine in his MR4TC and he knows how to gear properly, when on the track it just seems like he's running a stock motor when everyone else is running a mod.
The car doesn't pull to one side so it doesn't seem related to one particular side or corner of the drive train, he's tried various belt tensions, at the moment it's just slack enough to make the usual XXX-S belt slipping sound under hard braking. His diffs seemed slightly tight when I fealt them but not hugely so, not enough to slow him down so much anyway.
There isn't any excess noise from his car on the track, so gear mesh seems fine, could a badly moulded spur gear still cause problems?

He's rebuilt the car atleast once so I would of thought he would notice any obvious problem, he's an engineer so knows how to build stuff too I hope

check to see if the spur is rubbing up against the tensioner,i had this problem and talked to todd hodge,he found it and had me put a shim in between the two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.