Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo GT-4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by modellor
TexasRacer - I was just noticed you live in Austin. Are you racing on the track were the 1:8th on-road World Championships were held in '89/'91? Cant remember exactly which year but I think it was one of those.

That is one big track and would probably suit a really hard set up with a solid rear axle and front one-way.

Possibly brown springs on the front, light green on the rear. 80wgt oil in the front and 50 in the rear with anti-sway bars both at hardest setting and both big spacers in fron of the wishbone for caster angle.

For tyres I would say 45 shore front and 42 shore rear.

Start with 2deg camber on the front and 2.5deg camber on the rear with 0deg toe-in on front and 1.5deg toe-in on the rear.

I would never sell a car because I cant get it set up right. I would perservere until I do so. Changing the car wont cure the problem. All you will be doing is taking the problem with you. I know. I have done this many times. If I cant get a car to handle the way I want it too I now revert back to the factory settings and start again from scratch. I then just make single changes to see whether something works or whether it doesnt. But before I try another set up I always change the first one back to the factory setting. I always note down which changes helped and then once i have everything tried I start putting the different changes together in pairs and then in triples etc until I find the perfect balance.

Give this a try. You will be surprised.
That track don't exist anymore. It becomes a skate/rollerblade/bicycle park. Now, here in Austin, races are organize at parking lot. At times, you have real car in the middle of the track, where the owner left it. And we move from location to location after landlord chase us away.

For loose track and small here, i wouldn't recommend any lower then 42 shore rating for front and rear.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Looking for a good foam set up for a med size med traction surface with a few bumps, have to use 5mm of ride height. this is for a racer at the track that is having problems and is the only person running a yok, try my set up but did not prerform like my car...
Old 09-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Try
Front:
60w oil
silver springs ( these are the ones that used to come with the GT4W)
2 hole pistons
1.5 or 2 degrees of camber
1 degree of toe out
Caster: 1 big clip toward the back and the other 2 toward the front
Use the inner holes of the high shock tower(not the low profile one)
Use the outer hole on the front arms
40s tires
Run either a oneway, or a diff with yokomo hard grease on it or 50.000 oil
5mm of ride height

Rear:
40w oil
Yellow or green springs( the yellow is softer, the green is the fluorecent one)
2 hole pistons
3 degrees of camber( the yok likes a lot of camber)
2 degrees of toe in
Use the inner holes on the shock tower
37s tires, preferably 30mm
Run the diff with yokomo grease ( theres a hard one and a regular one) or 30.000 oil
5.5 or 6mm of ride height

If he pushes use the rear sway bar, I have never used the fornt one, so I cant coment on that.

Let me know what the car is doing, pushing?, is it loose?

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
Old 09-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

I think he had a loose problem with the car, 50,000 in the front diff, 30,000 in the rear, and red yok springs up front and neo greens in the rear, what he had for toe and camber i'm not sure, but i'll give him your set up and go from there.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

There is his problem right there. The Yokomo cars are critical to balance compared to most other cars. If the neon green is the Gt4 spring them the car wont handle because it hates having harder springs in the rear compared to the front. If this is the case I would suggest changing to silver in front and red in the rear

This will plant the car more in the rear without giving too much extra front push.

On the other hand if the neon green is the spring for the MR4-TC then it is the opposite and the rear is too soft compared to the front which also gives the feeling of the rear being loose. In this case I would suggest changing the rear springs to either dark green.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

They are both mrtc springs that are on the car, the front is more orange than red, my mistake
Old 09-25-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Come on Yokomo Guys !! post something !!

cya !
Old 09-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default front diff?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to nitro racing..doin some research on on-road cars and came across the gt-4 at LHS...everthing looked cool on it and much better than the HPI RTR car...

But the question I have is about the front differential? Does it not have one? and is that a good or bad thing? less traction or more?

I'm not really racing, just going to be running it at a local paved school lot...

thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

... on my setup list the most used one is the front solid rear diff combination, so good luck, the GT4-RTR its a good starting car ... and as is not much GT4-S's on the market, its very easy upgradeable to pure racing car.

hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Unhappy

Guys, i have to renew my shocks but down here in southamerica its hard to get Yokomo ones ...

Anyone knows about TOP CAD aluminum shock sets ? ... they are OK for my GT4-S ? ... (http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4415) ...

thanks !
Old 10-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Tabushi
Guys, i have to renew my shocks but down here in southamerica its hard to get Yokomo ones ...

Anyone knows about TOP CAD aluminum shock sets ? ... they are OK for my GT4-S ? ... (http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4415) ...

thanks !

Those are fine. I just got my last week for my V1s. It look

Or you try this one it will cost more

http://66.70.235.59/Merchant2/mercha...ry_Code=ns_gt4
Old 10-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Guys, i need some info,

The original GT4-S Type Yokomo kit comes with 200mm dogbones or 190mm dogbones at the rear ?

thanks !!
Old 10-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i believe it's 200 mm. when you go to the larger diameter rear tires, you'll want to switch to the 190 mm.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

has any1 knows that massami is drving new GT4 and winning in Japan?
check this

and result

or maybe MTX3??? can anyone tell me this?
Old 10-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

Umm.....let's see. Masami=Yokomo.

My guess is............GT-4?

Well, at least Masami is campaigning that car again.

..........Or maybe he's testing a prototype.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.