Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ammdrew
no pics looks like most ,Will see if we can come up with some, end of race we just wanted to get on the 400 mile drive home.
That is a looooong way to drive to a race!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default traction and grip

hi guys...sorry if my questions sound silly,

usually when i go to different tracks for racing i will always get early information regarding the track before i arrive. so that makes thing sort of easier to preset the car.
my question here , how do we determine whether d track is at what traction and grip level if we have no info's.

and what is the base setup u guys start with for
1. low traction
2. high traction

thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcabj
hi guys...sorry if my questions sound silly,

usually when i go to different tracks for racing i will always get early information regarding the track before i arrive. so that makes thing sort of easier to preset the car.
my question here , how do we determine whether d track is at what traction and grip level if we have no info's.

and what is the base setup u guys start with for
1. low traction
2. high traction

thanks
Try to find out what shores people are using there generally (say for a previous club race). That should give you a general indication of the traction but if its a temporary track made on a car park (and no sugar water is used) then you can expect it to be dirty/dusty and very little traction. I would sit out until some rubber is laid before going out to try my car.

If you have absolutely no reference, go to the track and sit out first while watching others testing their cars. Then check out the performance, ask what shores they're using ... you don't have to be the first one out on the track right?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Why dont the serpent diffs have belt guides on both sides??
My rear belt rides only half on the diff, new belt, tightness set at default, and the cams set the same both sides (double checked).
If I move the rear drive gear over so that the belt rides fully on the diff, then I have had the brake disc come uncoupled from the drive pins. If that doesnt happen, the belt falls off the diff.
Has anyone modded a diff with a guide on the other side?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Never had that problem with my 710 or 720, not unless your bulkheads are worn or bent, then you need to replace your rear bulkheads, that is the reason why your rear belt doesn't center on the diff.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

how often do you guys replace tires? every race day, every so many laps, pit stop during the main?

what everyone's thoughts on jaco nitro shoes vs. grp tires? are the shore ratings basically the same?

Last edited by LOW ET; 05-06-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ammdrew
MMR driver Andrew Tq's and finishes second in the season opener 37th Heart Of America Series with his Mega powered Serpent 720.
Congrats on your performance. Way to go!!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

i qualify on a new set and use fresh set for main....every race...
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
how often do you guys replace tires? every race day, every so many laps, pit stop during the main?

what everyone's thoughts on jaco nitro shoes vs. grp tires? are the shore ratings basically the same?
for me it depends on the "budget"
but at big races they always has tyres ready for each heats and finals. and like s10dude mention fresh pairs are better if u have the resources. But for budget racers like me, when i practice with new tyres i will keep them when they reach certain diameters that can be used for heats in future races. i keep them in air tight containers. this way i get to practice and already "trued" tyres
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gearhead13
Why dont the serpent diffs have belt guides on both sides??
My rear belt rides only half on the diff, new belt, tightness set at default, and the cams set the same both sides (double checked).
If I move the rear drive gear over so that the belt rides fully on the diff, then I have had the brake disc come uncoupled from the drive pins. If that doesnt happen, the belt falls off the diff.
Has anyone modded a diff with a guide on the other side?
I never had this problem with the 710 or the 720. There is something not quite right in the assembly somewhere.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LOW ET

I'm a cheap-skate ... last weekend I used one set of tyres only for a club race. This was 4 x 5min heats and one 10 mins final so its only for a total of 30 mins racing time plus about another 10 mins total of warm up. I used GRP 37 fronts and 40 rears, started with 61mm and 62.5mm.

I've tried the JACO ones on Serpent rims courtesy of Julius a couple of years ago and it was well suited for the Heemstede track in Holland. I have not tried them since because I have some stock of GRPs and Speedmind. GRPs are great IMHO.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can sometimes get through 2 club racedays and practice with a set of 35 Jacos. Most everyone here runs Jaco and most run 35's. Depends a lot on the smoothness of the surface you are running on.
Someone just brought in some GRP's never tried them, maybe I will try them out.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

i also save all raceday/qualifying tires to practice with...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

I tested a set of the old serpent springs this weekend (blue front, yellow rear) and was wondering what spring combination is equivalent to that setup w/ the new serpent springs ?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by jlopez92; 05-12-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jlopez92
I tested a set of the old serpent springs this weekend (blue front, yellow rear) and was wondering what spring combination is equivalent to that setup w/ the new serpent springs ?
Thanks in advance
Try new blue fronts and new orange rears. Should feel similar.

DJ Apolaro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.