Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have one question for the LIPO users, I have never used the\m so I'm just wondering. Are they really that safe??? I heard last night that a track in Mississippi had a LIPO pack ignite in the pits one night during a race and by the time they got the fire out the ceiling was smoldering and the entire pit area was destroyed. From what I heard they almost lost the entire hobby shop.

Just a question, like I said never used them.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

they are as safe as the user using them.

Pay attention to what your doing, and yes, they are safe.

Abuse them (same as nimh's), and they can go bad.

Nimhs explode more violently than Lipos. Both can go bad.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccrazyindenver
I have one question for the LIPO users, I have never used the\m so I'm just wondering. Are they really that safe??? I heard last night that a track in Mississippi had a LIPO pack ignite in the pits one night during a race and by the time they got the fire out the ceiling was smoldering and the entire pit area was destroyed. From what I heard they almost lost the entire hobby shop.

I will only respond about orion/peak packs since that is all I use. Yes they are safe. There have been no reports of a fire or any damage relating to orion packs that I can find. It has been bluntly said by a representative of the company that they will not catch on fire only swell and pop like a paper bag even after serious misuse.

The fire in Mississippi is missing two key pieces of info. What was the pack and how was it treated? If lipos get approved for racing, there will be standards in place and only certain packs will be approved. Just like NiMH now.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What's the name of the track in Mississippi? I sure would like to investigate this claim. As to your question, all lipos are not created equally. Some of them have a flawless safety record (Orion) whereas others do not. Personally, I think that batteries with only flawless safety records should be allowed indoors, but that would rule out NIMH.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by cfwdude
they are as safe as the user using them.

Pay attention to what your doing, and yes, they are safe.

Abuse them (same as nimh's), and they can go bad.

Nimhs explode more violently than Lipos. Both can go bad.
I don't recall any stories about a nimh almost burning down an entire hobby shop.

This might sound harsh but .............some of you people need to be protected from yourselves. This is the reason why alot of hobby shop owners don't want people running lipo's in their store. Obviously they wont tell you that to your face.........I won't allow lipo because your an idiot and you will probably burn my place down.

The bottom line is 5 cell is great to run and it would be good for the hobby to switch across the board.

Now if lipo or li....whatever is proven to be safe then have them make a 6 volt pack and run that against 5 cell cars.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

I'm not sure of the name of the track as my LHS owner would not tell me. I to would like to in vestige. He also told me that of the 8 tracks (in his hobby dealers association) allowing LIPO's 5 have had fires from LIPO misuse and this is why he will not allow lipo's...just wondering because myself and some other are thinking of going to him and trying to "persuade" him into allowing lipo's
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh H
Now if lipo or li....whatever is proven to be safe then have them make a 6 volt pack and run that against 5 cell cars.
Some lipos have already been proven to be safer than NIMH so that's a red herring. I'm really starting to think one of the motives behind FORCING people to use 5 cells is that would make a noticable voltage difference between NIMH and lipo; it would consequently make lipo "unfair". As far as allowing 6v lipo goes, there's not much incentive for a lipo manufacturer like Kokam to make 3v cells for a niche of a niche of a niche of a hobby so it's rather disingenuous and backhanded for NIMH lovers to propose doing that, but I'm sure some of you already knew this.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't recall any stories about a nimh almost burning down an entire hobby shop.

This might sound harsh but .............some of you people need to be protected from yourselves. This is the reason why alot of hobby shop owners don't want people running lipo's in their store. Obviously they wont tell you that to your face.........I won't allow lipo because your an idiot and you will probably burn my place down.

The bottom line is 5 cell is great to run and it would be good for the hobby to switch across the board.

That's a great judgment to make considering you have no clue on the details.
Orion packs have been out for long enough to have a pretty decent run on safety, can't lump those into your well thought out argument.

Oh, you'll be fine with it when it meets your PERSONAL agenda for 6V? That's might gracious of you. Sorry, you're in the same boat with lipo users for approval but for some reason, we aren't attempting to force everyone to change along with us.

Protected from ourselves??? Worst. Argument. Ever.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

I'm hoping the idiot comment wasn't directed at me, and was a generalization.

I agree some people are idiots, that's unavoidable. Like I said, pay attention to the battery, take care of the battery, ANY battery, and they are safe.

Use 5 if ya wanna, but don't tell me what to run.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure of the name of the track as my LHS owner would not tell me. I to would like to in vestige. He also told me that of the 8 tracks (in his hobby dealers association) allowing LIPO's 5 have had fires from LIPO misuse and this is why he will not allow lipo's...just wondering because myself and some other are thinking of going to him and trying to "persuade" him into allowing lipo's
I'm not surprised that Jess would tell lipo horror stories and then not back them up with any kind of documentation. Gee, High Desert RC allows lipo and they're spanking MHOR when it comes to turn-out. You're wasting your time trying to talk Jess into allowing lipos. MHOR will go down with the ship.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

I hope MHOR doesn't go down!!! I love this place. I know that you guys on the western slope are getting a bigger turnout. I'm very jealous. do you have a nitro track out there?
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Why don't you people go back and read Franks original post.....just the first paragraph is fine.....................GET BACK ON TOPIC............oh thats right lipo people can't because its lipo or nothing

6.0 volts is where the hobby should be. If you want to argue your lipo crap start your own damn thread and the six of you guys who do try to jam this lipo crap down our throats can talk among yourselves.

I see why Frank left his own thread.......because you guys are clueless
Tech Master

Every track will need one of these!!!

Lipo Disaster Containment Vessel

[IMG]www.chuckwagonsupply.com/ash%20can.JPG[/IMG]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Personally I like the concept of ROAR keeping the rules open like Rick said. The only downfall that I see to that though is that people will feel like they need to have multiple options in their toolbox.... 5 cell, 6 cell, Lipo, brushed, brushless, etc, and that will keep the cost up. I personally have been on a 5-cell kick lately in off-road, but I have never really raced with LiPo to compare either.

The thing that really gets me is the cost of tires at races. People complain about the battery wars, but you can go to a race with 3 fresh sticks for $180, but you still need to bring $1000 in tires it seems like. I don't know how to fix that really, but I think that is the bigger issue. I liked when ROAR had the handout tires in off-road because you only had to bring 1 type of tire, but thats just me.

I guess the bottom line is that I love having all the tuning options with motors, batteries, tires, etc, but unfortunately those are the things that cost a lot of money and keep a lot of non-sponsored drivers from going to big races. You are still left with car setup options, and those are cheap and reusable. The only way to keep the cost down is to limit the options people can use, and although I don't like the sounds of that, we need to do something to increase the participation level at many of the major events.

Anyways, thats just my .02.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why don't you people go back and read Franks original post.....just the first paragraph is fine.....................GET BACK ON TOPIC............oh thats right lipo people can't because its lipo or nothing

6.0 volts is where the hobby should be. If you want to argue your lipo crap start your own damn thread and the six of you guys who do try to jam this lipo crap down our throats can talk among yourselves.

I see why Frank left his own thread.......because you guys are clueless
Sorry, we can't talk lipo without some moron spouting off about a fire their nephew's cousin's brother's soon to be brother-in-law heard about a fire that might have been from a lipo so they are bad.

Ok the topic. The only thing you've said about the topic is I'm a danger to myself for not running 6V and forcing everyone to run it instead of convincing them will make the world a better place? You'd make a great politician.

And just so you know, lipo is a valid point for the 5 cell discussion. Running 5 cell would prevent lipo from running at all. Now some of the other 5 cell threads discuss running that way in general, not cramming it down everyone's throat and invalidating a battery tech at the same time. I don't go in those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.