Search
Like Tree26Likes

CRC F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Yes, the 15 fits. It's a little tight around the rear of the body, but it works fine.

How do you have your fan mounted? What fan is that?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
How do you have your fan mounted? What fan is that?
It's a WTF Windy fan. To mount it I just drilled and tapped a hole in the left pod plate. Some folks are using a right side pod plate on the left to accomplish the same thing, but drilling a hole was cheaper than a $20 part. I plan on drawing up a replacement pod plate with the fan mount integrated and putting it on Shapeways, but haven't had time.
Attached Thumbnails CRC F1-14446006_10157383981360459_7033166571931710448_n.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hudy has a bushing set to use two of their touring car set up stations. You can also order an f1 setup station from hudy that comes with the pair of bushings and two setup stands.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-un...FRc6gQody-cBwA
Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Thanks, Hudy is a bit more than I'm going to spend but I appreciate all the input.

Dave
Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any touring car setup station should work with an F1. The Hudy spacers are nice, but not necessary. Unfortunately, because of the metric front wheel bearings, most pan car setup stations won't work with what's essentially a skinny pan car.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Thanks, Hudy is a bit more than I'm going to spend but I appreciate all the input.

Dave
I already had the setup station but was able to order the bushings themselves for $16. Then you could use any other touring setup station.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So I put my tires on the car last night and notice that on the front end the spring side of the pin is rubbing on the tire. is this normal and I just need to add another spacer?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Moogumby
So I put my tires on the car last night and notice that on the front end the spring side of the pin is rubbing on the tire. is this normal and I just need to add another spacer?
It sounds like you don't have the kingpin screwed into the steering knuckle enough. With the kit .45mm springs you should have one 1mm shim between the spring and the "E" clip for around a 4mm ride height. Shim between the knuckle and the lower pivot to set droop.
Added note, one 1mm shim if running the battery in line and forward. If you have the battery transverse and back then you probably do not need that shim as the front end will be lighter.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Is there a base kit setup to work from? I went through the manual and saw nothing. I went to CRCs website and also saw nothing except the manual under setups/technical documents
Old 02-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a base kit setup to work from? I went through the manual and saw nothing. I went to CRCs website and also saw nothing except the manual under setups/technical documents
I know they don't have setup info but here is the best starting one. Build it per the manual with the battery transverse and the car balanced r/l. The kit springs, oil and baseline are close to spot on. They are also very close to what the team guys run. Sometimes the try something with a new part but there isn't much trickery other than adjust caster, camber, droop and toe to suit what the track is giving you.
F1 on rubber tires is more learning how to deal with the tires and not over driving the car.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Are toe/camber specs listed somewhere in the manual as well (I can't seem to find them)? What about droop f/r? Perhaps I missed this info. New to F1 cars but I think these are still adjustable on this thing. Also what grease are you guys using in those torsion tubes? This kit I have was used w/o anything so I need to get some supplies. What about shock preload? I see the total shock length is listed but what about the preload? Is there a good starting point? Can anyone give me a briefing on how the preload effects handling? I assume it would effect droop as well as rearward weight transfer?

Dave

Last edited by TT_Vert; 02-07-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Are toe/camber specs listed somewhere in the manual as well (I can't seem to find them)? What about droop f/r? Perhaps I missed this info. New to F1 cars but I think these are still adjustable on this thing. Also what grease are you guys using in those torsion tubes? This kit I have was used w/o anything so I need to get some supplies. What about shock preload? I see the total shock length is listed but what about the preload? Is there a good starting point? Can anyone give me a briefing on how the preload effects handling? I assume it would effect droop as well as rearward weight transfer?

Dave
I contacted Brian at crc when I built the car, he is a wealth of knowledge. There is 10k in the tubes and 35wt in the shock and the preload is what he recommended I just don't remember the numbers.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

I guess I just find it odd that I have to go to the company to get such basic info about setup which I feel should at least be in the manual but I'll email him. Actually I only have johns email so I'll email him. The last car I had w/ a setup like this was a 10L a long time ago and I don't recall what did what w/ that pod setup. Is rear axle height something that is played w/ with these things or do they just get it as low as possible for ride height and LCG?

Dave
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I guess I just find it odd that I have to go to the company to get such basic info about setup which I feel should at least be in the manual but I'll email him. Actually I only have johns email so I'll email him. The last car I had w/ a setup like this was a 10L a long time ago and I don't recall what did what w/ that pod setup. Is rear axle height something that is played w/ with these things or do they just get it as low as possible for ride height and LCG?

Dave
Dave,

John left CRC some months ago. Brian is da man! He is at [email protected]

Setups change; so, getting the absolute latest from him is best. Plus, he can suggest per your track situation too.

Bill
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Dave
All these things you are asking about are adjustable, and have an impact on the performance of the car. droop in the rear of the car is adjusted by changing the length of the shock. the longer you make the shock, the more droop you have in the rear pod. spring tension should be set so that the car is flat when sitting on the ground and ready to race. not enough tension, and the center of the car will sag, too much and it will peak at the center pivot. we always run just a shade of toe out (about 1/2 degree) and id start with 1 degree of camber. more camber will give you more steering, to a point (about 2 degrees, then you will start to lose contact patch with the track. we are generally running light dampening in the tubes (between 5 and 10k).

hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.