Like Tree28Likes

CRC F1

Old 02-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The soft side springs worked for me to reduce traction roll.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phatboislim
I just wanted to note on here for the future in case anyone else comes looking for this info, softening the side springs/side tube lube doesnt work. Another guy ran F1 last week (i ran 2 other classes) and i mentioned to him what i was told about w/ those things. I didnt remember the others, but i will try less caster possibly this weekend. That actually seems like it would work. The softer spring in my mind doesnt seem like it would work. It seems like you would want a stiffer spring as it wouldnt allow the pod to transition as much. That's the way i'm thinking of the rear pod working

But i will be trying less caster and camber. I can see caster possibly helping out. Reorientating my electronics will be one of my last ditch changes
Odd, it works for me 100% of the time. Hopefully, you will find the answers you need. Good luck!
Rick Vessell and phatboislim like this.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Would anyone mind sharing there weight distribution?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

last change i have to try is electronics distribution. trying all the things mentioned personally my car starting pushing like a dump truck
Old 04-14-2024, 01:03 PM
Tech Rookie

A few of us are running this car. Has CRC given up on this chassis/class?
Old 04-14-2024, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Didn't Jeff D just win with that chassis at the Canadian Nationals?
Old 04-15-2024, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There hasn't been a change in a long time other than a upgrade kit for the rear pivot. Really isn't much need to as the car is fast in the right hands and affordable. That part is the best part and makes the CRC a champ.
Now that X-Ray has put out a reasonable package when the included the gear diff in the kit, I expect to see more of them. It is a slightly higher cost but it will come with that stigma of you can't beat one.
In equally skilled hands I typically do with my years old CRC. LOL.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I'm not worried about being out "kitted" most of the time. If the class was strong and the CRC wasn't competitive, I'm quite confident Frank and his team would update the car if that were the solution. I was curious to know who's run the "narrow" front plate that reduces the track width, specifically on CRC black carpet.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by F1_5150
Yeah, I'm not worried about being out "kitted" most of the time. If the class was strong and the CRC wasn't competitive, I'm quite confident Frank and his team would update the car if that were the solution. I was curious to know who's run the "narrow" front plate that reduces the track width, specifically on CRC black carpet.
I have it but that was made (a few years ago) so that the Gravity brand of pre-mounts could be run and make 190. I always try and be 190 at the front especially with the higher grip. I do work with the rear. Our track is starting to run the Exotek tires ad wheels and the offsets are considerably different. The long axle on the CRC front helps in getting the track width and scrub radius optimized.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Damn, I'm not ready to go down a rabbit hole of "scrub radius," lol! What I do notice driving the car with my current "setup" is that in the first, say, 1-2 minutes of a "run," the car feels like it's digging into the track instead of "carving" and rotating the car around. I also experienced diffing out with the ball diff exiting the corners, and this was a huge loss in lap time. I went to a spool at the suggestion of another F1 driver, and that fixed the diffing out issue. However, I still had the digging issue and now was dealing with an on-power push to an extent.

My gut tells me to go to a stiffer front spring and maybe add more front toe out from the 1.5' I am not to, maybe 2 or 3. This is why I was considering the narrow front-end plate. I was unaware it was made to compensate for a specific tire/trackwidth combo. What I'm looking for from the car is more steering in the middle/exit. The car turns in well, especially at high speed, but I'm using a lot of steering input to get there. I have my dual rate at 90% and am using more steering input than I would expect to need.

I've tried the Exotek softs but was quicker with the soft Schumachers. I have Team Powers to try the next go around.

Open to suggestions?

Old 04-20-2024, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Damn, I'm not ready to go down a rabbit hole of "scrub radius," lol! What I do notice driving the car with my current "setup" is that in the first, say, 1-2 minutes of a "run," the car feels like it's digging into the track instead of "carving" and rotating the car around. I also experienced diffing out with the ball diff exiting the corners, and this was a huge loss in lap time. I went to a spool at the suggestion of another F1 driver, and that fixed the diffing out issue. However, I still had the digging issue and now was dealing with an on-power push to an extent.

My gut tells me to go to a stiffer front spring and maybe add more front toe out from the 1.5' I am not to, maybe 2 or 3. This is why I was considering the narrow front-end plate. I was unaware it was made to compensate for a specific tire/trackwidth combo. What I'm looking for from the car is more steering in the middle/exit. The car turns in well, especially at high speed, but I'm using a lot of steering input to get there. I have my dual rate at 90% and am using more steering input than I would expect to need.

I've tried the Exotek softs but was quicker with the soft Schumachers. I have Team Powers to try the next go around.

Open to suggestions?
How do you have you battery? The CRC car likes more weight forward. I am inline and forward. My rear roll center is as low as it goes (AR conversion). I personally lap quicker with a x-ray gear diff and 5k in it. I am also running exotek double reds (super softs).
Old 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Tech Rookie

My battery is sideways and forward. Interesting, the car "likes" weight at the front as that, I would think, would make my "digging" issue worse. I will however try it as I may inherit a quicker left/right weight transfer with the weight closer to centerline.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

My battery is sideways and forward. Interesting, the car "likes" weight at the front as that, I would think, would make my "digging" issue worse. I will however try it as I may inherit a quicker left/right weight transfer with the weight closer to centerline.
When you move it then tune with the front roll center. Adding shims under the center mount (in the kit) takes aggressiveness away. To much caster makes corner exit over rotation. And also tune with the camber. More adds steering to a point. Those are all fine tune items that I use. I run on black carpet. My car is on .45 springs on all 4 corners and I do play with the center spring all the way from orange to purple. Another interesting change over the last few months is increasing the side tube damping. Several of us are all the way to 50k. I wouldn't have thought to do that a year ago.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Nice, this is the type of shared information I'm looking for. The center rear dampening does make sense to me. What camber range is worth trying? I'm -1.5' currently, just as a guess. Is something like 0-4' reasonable? I've just ordered more springs, shims, and other bits to test out as time allows. We're also on black CRC carpet, very new as matter of fact.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Nice, this is the type of shared information I'm looking for. The center rear dampening does make sense to me. What camber range is worth trying? I'm -1.5' currently, just as a guess. Is something like 0-4' reasonable? I've just ordered more springs, shims, and other bits to test out as time allows. We're also on black CRC carpet, very new as matter of fact.
The carpet can make all the difference in the world. I have three tracks that I visit and all of them have CRC black carpet but of different ages. All three are very different in traction.
Front camber from .75 to 2 depending on the tire/grip. I run very little caster. I don't measure it but use the number of shims front and rear. Usually 1 or two of the maximum of three to the rear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.