Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree104Likes

Yokomo YZ-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PENN01
Just installed the rear narrow belt kit and noticed the layshaft moves from side to side a little bit so does anyone know if this is normal or do i need to shim it up?
I think its normal. have seen it on several yz4's.

Don't think shimming would be a good idea.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paultje040
I think its normal. have seen it on several yz4's.

Don't think shimming would be a good idea.
Thanks for that , I just didn't want to wreck my spur gear with any movement so good to know
Old 09-27-2016, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

Just wondering on peoples opinion's on essential upgrades other than aluminium pulley's and narrow rear belt ?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Just wondering on peoples opinion's on essential upgrades other than aluminium pulley's and narrow rear belt ?
Depending on your surface I like the YZ-2 rear arms on medium grip tracks.... I also like to ease of adjustment of a ball diff(personal preference)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Stock class 17.5t

Originally Posted by carpetburner
I am running the YOKZ2-008R arms with the YOKZ2-01050B bone . works great on low bite dirt. I also shim the ream hing pin mount up 2mm for more rear grip . I will be switching to the L5 arms and L5 hing pin mounts for the winter carpet season .
Hey man i ordered the arms. I tightened up clicker so its full time (will upgrade to the aluminium setup) and slipper. Just dont understand the shimming part. Must say many thanks though
Old 09-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Just installed the rear narrow belt kit and noticed the layshaft moves from side to side a little bit so does anyone know if this is normal or do i need to shim it up?
Hello Penn,

Yes that is normal my friend as you want a little side to side play regarding the layshaft. That is an indication you have your layshaft bullhead and motor mount bullhead perfectly parallel.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

I would suggest the aluminum rear hangers with the inserts as you can really tune toe, antisquat and roll center. Front right and left alum camber mounts. BRC front skid/bumper, rear alum hubs with 66.5mm CVD's, L5 front a arms.
Alum front pulley. If you run on low bite dirt the triple slipper is great. Oh Bezerk or LMR Supra Flex top deck. I also like the CF shocktowers. The GWing CF shocktower is nice as it allows for more droop than the Flat CF tower.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pullstix
Hey man i ordered the arms. I tightened up clicker so its full time (will upgrade to the aluminium setup) and slipper. Just dont understand the shimming part. Must say many thanks though
He is putting shims under the rear a arm hangers, thus raising the roll center which doing so on the YZ4 really helps obtain rear grip on low bite dirt.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Stock class 17.5t

Originally Posted by Norse
He is putting shims under the rear a arm hangers, thus raising the roll center which doing so on the YZ4 really helps obtain rear grip on low bite dirt.
hey cheers mate I'll give that a go.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Penn,

Yes that is normal my friend as you want a little side to side play regarding the layshaft. That is an indication you have your layshaft bullhead and motor mount bullhead perfectly parallel.
Thanks Norse ,i knew you would chime in at some stage and help as always much appreciated
Old 09-28-2016, 02:46 AM
Tech Adept

I would suggest the aluminum rear hangers with the inserts as you can really tune toe, antisquat and roll center. Front right and left alum camber mounts. BRC front skid/bumper, rear alum hubs with 66.5mm CVD's, L5 front a arms.
Alum front pulley. If you run on low bite dirt the triple slipper is great. Oh Bezerk or LMR Supra Flex top deck. I also like the CF shocktowers. The GWing CF shocktower is nice as it allows for more droop than the Flat CF tower.
I was just about to put the question out there regarding the flex upper deck , I am on a pretty low bite track due to a bit of dust on clay and have found the improvements i made from one of a Chris Sturdy's set up sheets and feel it made such i difference to traction already but could always do with more improvements as i am still learning how to drive as well I am really interested in the what your thoughts are on the slipper you mentioned ?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

I was just about to put the question out there regarding the flex upper deck , I am on a pretty low bite track due to a bit of dust on clay and have found the improvements i made from one of a Chris Sturdy's set up sheets and feel it made such i difference to traction already but could always do with more improvements as i am still learning how to drive as well I am really interested in the what your thoughts are on the slipper you mentioned ?
Hello Penn my friend, no problem in trying to share advice as everyone is always learning in this great world of RC racing. I feel weather one is super experienced, new to the hobby and all areas inbetween their is always something that can be shared and learned. Anyhow sorry for my lack luster attempt to throw down some philosophy.

The triple slipper is amazing on lower bit dirt and clay, thus especially when running mod motors. I really don't think it is essential for 13.5 however the new 13.5 motors are really becoming more beastly all the time so I think the triple slipper has great benefits on low bite dirt/clay as it really helps lay down the power to the front and rear in a much smoother and controlled fashion. Thus holding control of your buggy in all areas is easier in my opinion.

I find with all of Yokomo's option/upgrades they really do improve performance, reliability, strength what ever the part is intended to improve it does. I will say not that it matters however Yokomo also attends to providing the utmost aesthetics within their parts as they really combine the highest level of performance combined with elegance through their design style.

On another note: High end bearings especially the layshaft and gear box is a great investment. To your question on the SupraFlex top deck I love it. The added flex provides better traction on o
Low to high bite conditions and I have noticed it frees the belts up a tad more.
Big thanks to C Sturdy for helping me with the top deck and other things.

Keep up the good work Penn as I can tell you are loving this hobby and thus being so you are an additional asset and ambassador for the continued growth.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Norse ,i knew you would chime in at some stage and help as always much appreciated
No problem Penn👍 I had the same question when I built my first YZ4. Definitely the little side to side play is what you want and I have found when you have that tad bit of side to side it is a great indication you have both the motor mount bulkhead and LShaft bulkhead perfectly parallel to each other. Thus nice a true which means the motor is will mount perfectly perpendicular and true to the MMount bullhead.

My only issue I tend to have problems with still is obtaining a perfect spur to pinion mesh. My OCD tendencies drive me to want a perfect mesh thus quit and smooth as possible.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Penn makes sur you run higher roll center in the rear hanger via the inserts, as this really helps the YZ4 on low bite dirt. Also if you notice play in the front hanger inserts (thus movement back and fourth use .7mm to 1mm shims between the front inserts and front hinge pin brace. Basically this pushes the hinge pin brace to the bumper back tabs with the shims taking out the movement. (Much thanks to Eirick Andressean for that tip and many others he has provided.)

Other changes I have loved are going to theL5 front flat a arms. Little more track end width while being bullet proof. The stiffer arm have not negatively affect performance on low bite tracks in my opinion and I love using the gullwing CF tower as it allows for more droop the the shock location holes being lower than the F CF tower.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Somebody has a yz4 for sell or if i buy it new what is the most have upgrades for carpet/turf tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.