Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default Motonica Extreme II

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Wow !! Looks great wonder how well it handles??
As good as it gets my friend. I've said it before, They're all good cars but the ones you can get parts for are better!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Definition of insanity

1. My fibromyalgia has been acting up over a week now...as a result, everything hurts more than usual.

2. Because of this, I've been unable to sleep, and in fact, have been up since 6 a.m. the previous day.

3. In spite of this, I will be leaving in about 30 minutes to drive 4.5 hours one way for a club race. If this doesn't qualify as insanity, nothing does....
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

You are right Das 1/8 Mopar, the ones you can get parts for are the best!!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Sorry 'bout that!

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
I've had an Extreme 2 for better then a year now. Front end is better then Extreme. Very good car but not new.
I didn't realize there was an "Extreme" and an "extreme 2" and that Lon had the 2.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Son is there anywhere else in the U.S that people race this class?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Hitchride1 sorry about your fibromyalgia. Hope you place well in the race
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Hitchride1 sorry about your fibromyalgia. Hope you place well in the race
What a day....we had fun, we beat hell out of the cars because it was the last club race of the year, didn't finish very well, but we had a blast. And then tore down the track for the winter. I'm deeply envious of those who live in Florida with their year round racing capability. Now it's back to the drawing board, to make improvements and such, and wait till better weather next spring.

Except...for the Dayton Midwest series race next weekend! Hotel room is booked, two more days of "do unto others, then beat them to the next corner before they can return the favor and do unto you."
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default Well

Originally Posted by racer034life
Son is there anywhere else in the U.S that people race this class?
You've got Irwin pushing the class and getting support on the east coast.

Got Bowerman talking about it on the west coast (Acorn Racing.)

Believe there are some more down Florida way working on getting into pan as well.

I think the GLC was an eye opener for a lot of people who got to see classic 2wd run fast, competitive laps (Mike Myers on SGrid reguarly takes pics and does writeups about what we're in to). Today, Rick Davis ran a 21 second lap with his scratch built, which is maybe 3 seconds off 4wd pace. We had nearly as many entries in pan as we did everything else, Lons grandkids are getting better and better with every race...people are seeing how much fun it is running very quick yet much cheaper and less labor intensive on road racing.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
What a day....we had fun, we beat hell out of the cars because it was the last club race of the year, didn't finish very well, but we had a blast. And then tore down the track for the winter. I'm deeply envious of those who live in Florida with their year round racing capability. Now it's back to the drawing board, to make improvements and such, and wait till better weather next spring.

Except...for the Dayton Midwest series race next weekend! Hotel room is booked, two more days of "do unto others, then beat them to the next corner before they can return the favor and do unto you."
What's the deal? You spend all year saying how dirt cheap your parts are, then you drop out, while running a very strong 1st, because your glued together parts fell apart??? You guys were allot of fun to watch, Nothing but neat! So Dave got you, right?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Here are a couple of things I thought might interest some of you. The WRC car assembly video is from a site in Europe but should be translated for you. These cars are available at http://brooklynhobbies.com/wrc-gt-duo-nitro-kit

Note: I have been informed by Jason that there is at least one thing in the Yome article that is not the best way to build the car: grinding off the diff outdrive set screw tab, which we have a better solution for now, and consensus is that its best to not alter the shaft.
I posted this for those unfamiliar with the car to get an idea of how it was made and how it went together. Sorry for any confusion. aslo sorry not to get this warning up sooner...

The other appears to be a draft of "Classic" Pan Car Rules, in the same format that ROAR uses. I believe I may have got this when I bought a used Motonica car a few years back...

[CAOLOR="royalblue"]More info on the rules page: In rereading many of the posts in this thread, I found the Don Jones was the source for this info.[/COLOR]

http://www.yome3000.com/forums-lire.php?id=1889&f=19

Attachment 1105855
Actually, The rules were posted on an early posting of this thread. I did copy the ROAR format. The rules were developed after considerable discussion in the early days of this thread in 2009/2010. My name is "Dale Jones" not Don.
Don Jones had nothing to do with the development of these rules.

See page 12, posting 166 for the Classic Pan car rules.

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited by djmachinist; 09-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djmachinist
Actually, The rules were posted on an early posting of this thread. I did copy the ROAR format. The rules were developed after considerable discussion in the early days of this thread in 2009/2010. My name is "Dale Jones" not Don.
Don Jones had nothing to do with the development of these rules.

See page 12, posting 166 for the Classic Pan car rules.

Thanks,
Dale
Sorry for the error in your name.

Ned
Old 09-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was thinking a lot about running in classic class next year. But with out set of firm rules by ROAR I will not. Because a simple cheap class to run has started change all ready, look at new due car. They are going run standard a arms in front, whats next hanging shocks? They better say 2wd class period and I will pass.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gary47
I was thinking a lot about running in classic class next year. But with out set of firm rules by ROAR I will not. Because a simple cheap class to run has started change all ready, look at new due car. They are going run standard a arms in front, whats next hanging shocks? They better say 2wd class period and I will pass.
Unfortunately, I don't think ROAR is going to do that. This group on RCTech is probably the best for creating the rules.

I do agree that something more should be done, though. Here are my humble suggestions:

Suspension movement means limited to chassis flex only. No type of ball pivots or hinge pins allowed. (But the cat is already out of the bag on this one!)

No viscous fluid dampers allowed. If dampers are used, they must be friction only.

No spring members other than chassis flexure. No metal or rubber spring members. (Again, where's that cat?)

Engine must maintain a fixed relationship to the rear wheels whenever the car is in motion. (This eliminates DeDion and other similar rear suspension arrangements.)

I'm currently designing my own car, and will restrict the design to whatever is decided by the RCTech group. While I don't particularly want to do a floating rear pod with shocks (like one finds on electric pan cars), it's certainly possible, and the result will handle better than the traditional gas pan car arrangement. But that will increase the cost and complication without making the racing any better.

P.S. We should probably also spec a relatively small carb restrictor.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-28-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I agree with everything you mentioned Howard. KISS.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gary47
hang in there we will come up with something, at this time motors seem the biggest sticking point. we want travel racers too fit with local rules IE the roar rule book, but i think there too busy with off road. also all the "factory" kits are very similar in design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.