Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
The rc-mini site is one of the best things around. You really can't go too far wrong following their advice.

The point I was trying to make was that there some Mini axioms out there that just aren't true. I just picked on the "arms level" one cause it happened to be in your post. Some of these just drive me crazy cause I see people doing this kind of stuff all the time.

Suppose now that you dutifully set up your car so the arms were level. Let's say that you take the car to the track and you determine that you need to lower the back of the car. Guess what, your arms are no longer level. If you raise or lower the front of the car, again your arms are no longer level. Ride height adjustments are one of the more valuable tuning tools and if you painstakingly made sure the arms were level, they aren't going to stay that way for long. If this is true, and it is, why bother???? Would it not be better to set the ride height you want and forget all about this arms level stuff?????

Minis are a really simple little car. After you "play" with them for awhile, they'll pretty much talk to you and tell you what they need. What makes a Mini tough sometimes is that it can take a whole lot of work to make a simple little adjustment. And yes, it takes a whole lot of trial and error before they start talking to you.

you couldn't have put it any better,

but yes, not sure if i wrote about the level rear arms or TFG added that in my m05 article, but i rarely set my car to this parameter but rather by eye and feel or if there are min height rules then will measure with ride height gauge

most of the time i just look at the bottom of the chassis and see if there is more scrapping then usual as i always run the traditional hard front and softer rear setups apposed to the wacky opposites that some people get to work?

as you mention, once you start playing with shock lengths and different springs as well as shock retainers and plastic or alloy preload tensioners this is blown out of the water, and can no longer just look at how the arms are level.

Also regarding the change on front bottom shock position, ive seen this been done i think it was 2 or so years ago and didnt take off. I never tried it personally but i tend to be one that if it works stick with!!

having just gotten the New rear carbon shock tower i find it pretty pointless so far.
stuffs up the rear ride height, due to the shock positions getting higher as you go out. which would mean you would have to lengthen the shock to go onto the most outer position. where i would rather just add a harder spring to get the same effects (all be it with slightly different roll geometry) will have to look at how it goes in further testing. as trying it at a major event where i only got less then 50 minutes of running, 5 min intervals over 3 days was hard to do anything.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Nope, I stopped publishing back in '99 when the preassures of my 'real' job became too intense to allow me to continue. About the same time forums like this one started popping up, so now you can get information on almost any topic within 24 hours of posting. Which dilutes the value of printed publications, IMHO.

Saw the notice on the top of the forum page about looking for writers. Was tempted, but then looked at my daily planner for the next three months and realized that for me, it would be more work than fun.
Yeah I figured as much. Its too bad that magazines are going the way of the dinosaur...the anticipation of seeing something new and exciting every month, wearing out a spine from reading cover to cover, and all the while anticipating the next issue has been replaced with instant gratification. It sucks. Nobody seems to have patience anymore. And I'm only 27, so I cannot imagine how useless libraries and subscriptions will be when my son is old enough to need answers...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I imagine your son will rely fully on wikipedia. lol
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
I imagine your son will rely fully on wikipedia. lol
hey it's on the internet...so it must be true. Right? lol
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Just a comment on set ups. Set ups can vary widely from surface to surface, track to track, and rules to rules. Lately though, it seems as if my base set up is the same for all the tracks and all the different surfaces. The set up has been posted several times and is the same one that I send back if you PM me for a set up.

Also, the set ups can vary with the relative skill level of the driver and driver preference for how the car "feels". I'm going to use I)arkness or B. Portelli as an example here. His driver skill level is much higher than mine so his requirements are different. He uses a stiff front and a soft rear set up and mine is the exact opposite. If I drove his car, and this is just a guess, I'd probably scare myself half to death. If he drove mine, he'd promptly fall asleep. If his car is a SWB, that would be another reason for the set up differences.

One other thing that has a major influence on set ups etc. is how loose or tight the diff is. Some people are obsessed with whether it's a gear diff or a ball diff. Folks, it doesn't make any difference whether it's a gear diff or a ball diff. There isn't a driver alive who can tell the difference as long as both are smooth in operation and are set to the same "tightness".

Last edited by Granpa; 07-15-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Are Type A Slicks worth purchasing and using over S Grips? With S Grips use soft or hard inserts? Our local track runs Sweeps, looking to run some TCS Events and tires were an issue. Playing catch up on learning Tamiya tires. ANy suggestions, gluing edges etc are appreciated.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mechintosh
Are Type A Slicks worth purchasing and using over S Grips? With S Grips use soft or hard inserts? Our local track runs Sweeps, looking to run some TCS Events and tires were an issue. Playing catch up on learning Tamiya tires. ANy suggestions, gluing edges etc are appreciated.
Personally, I don't think so. The original Type A tire was great, but the present ones less so.

If you're planning on TCS racing, the #1016 is now available. My understanding is that the free choice on inserts and rims was going to end when the #1016 premount became available. Unfortunately, the "glue job" on these is shoddy so you should check this. I had one set that was glued on the inside, but not on the outside. There is a premount that is identical except it has a black rim. The difference being that the gluing is top notch, better than most of us can do. They aren't "legal", but you can always switch to the #1016s for the actual race cause they are identical in every other way.

I don't know anyone who has a really good handle on how these new S-Grips work. Lots of theories, set ups etc., but nothing for sure. As far as gluing goes, just smear a layer of cyano from the rim all the way to the edge where the sidewall transitions to the tread. Don't be afraid of going too far cause you'll soon wear it back to where it should be. Lots of experimentation and head scratching here too. Rubber ca or regular ca????? Tried both and can't see all that much difference.

Sorry, long post with very little info, but I usually don't post info unless I'm pretty sure that it's accurate.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Actually Granpa I'm sure you would be able to drive my mini with ease. I set my cars to be very neutral. One thing I find is when I let someone drive my mini they tell me how much extra corner speed I can carry compared to theirs.

As for wheelbases I think this year I've run it in all configurations just to match the tracks but mainly what body I plan to use.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by I)arkness
Actually Granpa I'm sure you would be able to drive my mini with ease. I set my cars to be very neutral. One thing I find is when I let someone drive my mini they tell me how much extra corner speed I can carry compared to theirs.

As for wheelbases I think this year I've run it in all configurations just to match the tracks but mainly what body I plan to use.
I have a SWB M05 that I plan on using at a smaller indoor carpet track this winter. It's an open tire track and the power is similar to the set up you guys use. Right now it's got all of the useful option parts like TRF shocks, al steering, etc. I plan on starting with Sweep 40 fronts and maybe the Atomic 33 rears. Right now it has a rear roll bar fitted. I'm particularly fond of the old Tamiya Mini body.

Can you share some insight into shock oils and springs and anything else you deem useful?????
Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the help guys. Very usefull information!

I'm looking forward to throwing my car into the first bend flat out and seeing which end comes out first
Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Just a heads up for any TCS Mini racers. There's been a clarification on which tires are allowed. For me there has been a bit of confusion and multiple rumors. Visit the Tamiya thread in the Racing Forum to get the most current info on the tire situation. Whether it changes tomorrow, next week, next month is beyond my abilities to predict.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

It's ready
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-image.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm new to the mni screen and am wondering if any of one knows where I can get a monster mini body from. I believe it is made by Chevron but not sure.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Texas.john
I'm new to the mni screen and am wondering if any of one knows where I can get a monster mini body from. I believe it is made by Chevron but not sure.
Google is your friend.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Texas.john
I believe that body is out of production. Haven't seen one for a while - Not on any of the usual or obscure sites, or even eBay.

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Google is your friend.
So are we. Just as a friendly piece of advice: When offering the "Google is your friend" response, it's most effective to make it a hyperlink, in order to demonstrate your superior Google-Fu abilities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.