Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 5italkart
at the last club race we added some extra days, being middle aged i forgot the dates. please remind me
We added the 9th and elimanated the 23rd (due to Midwest / Joliet move) and added the 30th.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bad News

Not sure that this is the correct place for this but it seemed the most appropriate - just saw this on a slot car blog

I want to let everyone know that I just received word from Denis that his father the Great John J. Thorp has had a bad fall, and as a result has had many complications and his health is rapidly deteriorating. He is at Pomona Valley Hospital. I will post any news as I receive it. Please add John to your thoughts and prayers, he is a true pioneer.

For all that do not know John was one of the pioneers of our hobby.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Not sure that this is the correct place for this but it seemed the most appropriate - just saw this on a slot car blog

I want to let everyone know that I just received word from Denis that his father the Great John J. Thorp has had a bad fall, and as a result has had many complications and his health is rapidly deteriorating. He is at Pomona Valley Hospital. I will post any news as I receive it. Please add John to your thoughts and prayers, he is a true pioneer.

thanks for the info, best wishes too the thorp family.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gotcha and thanx...

First, caught the thing on the change of dates, I'll let Tom and Dave know as well.

Prayers and best wishes to Mr. Thorp and his family. Rick, if you get an addy to send cards or what not, or if there is anything we can do for him that you hear of, please let us know.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Rick, I'd say where there are racers that have met John Thorp, or run his cars, then that's a correct place. I had the pleasure of doing both. John has always marched to the beat of a different drum, something we don't see much of these days. GOOD LUCK! John

Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Wish I had an idea of what this thing is worth, and still wondering what ROAR had against it. Way back, there was a rule in pan, no variable speed...and there was only one car it applied to. I think it was way ahead of its time, and the concept makes more sense to me than multiple gears, plus a 4wd setup in the fashion of how Kyosho did it makes a lot of sense to me as well. Granted, I still have doubts on the piano wire suspension (I think Serpents first car had that as well, mounted in plastic pieces, and it sucked) but the drive part was and is a really good idea, setup is a snap, belt replacement very easy, and a good looking car, all in all.
.............Looking at the instructions for the Thorp variable speed tranny it becomes apparent where the idea for the modern day centex clutches was born!! Hey maybe a varation of the centax clutch might make a better varable speed tranny design??
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-centaxial_clutch_engine2.png  

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 09-01-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

The Thorp clutch and the Centex clutch are of the pusher design.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default Passing of John Thorp

Just saw this on Slotblog , unsure of the original writer who was not credited , sad too see another pioneer lost to us , sad news in both the slot and R/C communities.

Posted on Facebook......

Today was the passing of my friend John J. Thorp . I got to see him on Saturday, and knew he was ready to leave his earthly form, and maybe meet up with his late wife Helen. I like to think he had an amazing full life and touched many peoples lives with his designs and hard work in the fields of slot and radio controlled cars. I can't think of a better day for his passing then Labor Day. I will always remember John and his ingenious designs and fantastic accomplishments he made in his field. John was always kind to me, and I will miss visiting him. I am very thankful for the time I had documenting his creations, and hearing all his great stories. He will be missed.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just saw this on Slotblog , unsure of the original writer who was not credited , sad too see another pioneer lost to us , sad news in both the slot and R/C communities.

Posted on Facebook......

Today was the passing of my friend John J. Thorp . I got to see him on Saturday, and knew he was ready to leave his earthly form, and maybe meet up with his late wife Helen. I like to think he had an amazing full life and touched many peoples lives with his designs and hard work in the fields of slot and radio controlled cars. I can't think of a better day for his passing then Labor Day. I will always remember John and his ingenious designs and fantastic accomplishments he made in his field. John was always kind to me, and I will miss visiting him. I am very thankful for the time I had documenting his creations, and hearing all his great stories. He will be missed.
Thanks for posting, Rick. Sorry to hear about John....
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks Rick

John Thorp's job here is done, RIP my friend. Yet I have to belief that some where up above, the racing is about to get very interesting.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default Now there's a thought

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
John Thorp's job here is done, RIP my friend. Yet I have to belief that some where up above, the racing is about to get very interesting.
But I'd bet when I get to the "great racetrack in the sky" that my clutch doesn't hold up. I would have liked to have met the man myself...I've designed and built some nifty things in my day but nothing I could ever build would equal a Thorp.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
This board needs a like button...the only Thorp anything I've hadmy hands on were some really nice wrenches with his name on them.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They still sell those wrenches, under the MIP brand, but the same Thorpe wrenches nonetheless.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
This board needs a like button...the only Thorp anything I've hadmy hands on were some really nice wrenches with his name on them.
Didn't you get to see mine at the GLC? If not, I'll bring it this sunday.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default A few bodies

Old school artwork, and if anyone recognizes the names, pass on some info please.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1537.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1539.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1546.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-100_1551.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.