Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help a super newbie!! >

Help a super newbie!!

Help a super newbie!!

Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help a super newbie!!

Iím super new to the whole RC world. Iíve seen a couple races before but nothing more than that. Iím looking to get started in racing and maybe more competitive later down the line. With all that being said I do have a few questions. Whatís more popular off road racing or track racing? Where should I even look to being getting into this? What kind or RC should I start with? Any and all help is very much appreciated..
Old 08-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Off road is definitely bigger in my opinion. A good place to start is by finding out if there are any local tracks in you area and maybe going there and talk to the people about what they are using and what works best for them. Because depending on the classes they run at the track is what will set the rules for the electronics you can get
Old 08-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Since you have actually seen RC racing, I'll take a guess that there is a track in your area. Find out what classes they run. It's almost impossible to make a suggestion without this.

Now if just looking for something to mess around with. Well that a wide open choice. Wallet will truly decided.

Just a heads up about getting into racing. It's not cheap. It can be done, but it's not easy. And it's not just cost of vehicle. It's the additional things that add up. Batteries, charger, tire replacements, transponder, race fees, and so on. I've just started racing road cars this summer. Race fees, couple sets of tires, different pinion/spur gears, etc. It's added up, actually more then cost of the vehicle. For the 2 classes I'm running it's past $2,000 mark.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jwgrove View Post
Iím super new to the whole RC world. Iíve seen a couple races before but nothing more than that. Iím looking to get started in racing and maybe more competitive later down the line. With all that being said I do have a few questions. Whatís more popular off road racing or track racing? Where should I even look to being getting into this? What kind or RC should I start with? Any and all help is very much appreciated..
Find a hobby shop close by and ask those questions. I'd buy something used from a local racer, kit with electronics and spare parts if possible. Someone's always looking to upgrade. Then back to the lobby shop and get a decent receiver, battery, charger, and good tires.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Depends on the area you live in. One may be more popular than the other, or they may be equally popular. You could Google your city along with radio control and see if any tracks or clubs come up. Chances are they might be something going on in your area already. Or possibly in a city close to you or Township. What should you buy? Depends what you want to use. Radio control is all about having fun playing with something that interest you. I'd recommend you watch a lot of YouTube videos on various different vehicles and figure out what category looks interesting to you and then read up further on it as well Asking questions about it on a forum such as this. If there is a radio control club in your area you could probably go down to the track and pick out a few people to chat with and pick their brains. Maybe see what they race and if that's a class you want to ration asking questions about it on a forum such as this. If there is a radio control club in your area you could probably go down to the track and pick out a few people to chat with and pick their brains. Maybe see what they race and if that's a class you want to race in.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

I'm my opinion off road is generally bigger but I suppose it would come down to personal preference as to what you think your going to enjoy most when it comes to making a decision on where to start.

Look up your nearest track/club and don't be afraid to put up a post in their group asking for advice. Clubs love nothing more than having new people join, it's what keeps them going. We were all noobs once!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best advice will come from your local track.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

As far as what is most popular, it depends on where you live. If I were you I would go to a track nearby (which can be father away than you think). Start slow. Don't be getting a nitro buggy or something because all you will do is break it.