Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
First time racer looking for pro advice! >

First time racer looking for pro advice!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By belewis01

First time racer looking for pro advice!

Old 08-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First time racer looking for pro advice!

Hello! Years ago I wanted to try touring car carpet racing once I saw them at my local track! Unfortunately, that hobby shop has closed, but I have found a new one that is running the USGT (21.5t) class and I have dived in!

I visited and met a lot of great drivers, but my only experience with racing is VRC on the computer (using my own transmitter).

Is there any advice you would give to a beginner racer or any advice you wish you knew when you first started? I am good with the orientation of the car (I come from planes and 3d helis), but I find myself over correcting in turns, coming into turns too fast or too slow and hitting the walls way before the apex.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give!!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Slow and consistent can be quicker then fast and wild. I just started racing this year. Had no expectations of placing. Just to get better each week. It's quite a change from running solo to having 8 cars runnng in a confined area.

Oh yeah. Try to relax. Remember to breath. Swear I was more nervous about damaging other cars then how I did first few times.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

Practice practice practice practice practice practice. And when your done practicing, keep practicing some more.

Rule number 1. Slow is fast!! Don't concentrate on going fast, concentrate on consistency. A car on its wheels is faster than a car on its roof.

Speed will come naturally, practice on consistency.

And one thing I learnt the hard way was don't wait for things to break before you change them. Preventative maintenance is what it's all about, if something doesn't seem right, don't just leave it, investigate it and fix it. I wasted a lot of time as beginner fixing stupid problems that could have easily been avoided if I had just put a bit more effort into simple maintence of my vehicles.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try to get an experienced racer to drive your car one time - it will give you a better idea of how the car is supposed to be set up. A couple of months ago I did this ..... thought my car was pretty good, but the test driver said it was pushing like a dump truck and handed it back to me after 2 laps. Made some changes and got much faster.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Don't just practice. Practice good technique. That means driving a straight line in the straights, scrub speed before the corner entry, maintain speed through the apex, then roll onto the throttle on the corner exit.
I would seriously suggest limiting your throttle to the point that you can drive the car without bouncing off the rails. After a couple of battery packs of that, increase the throttle a bit and repeat.
Good luck!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

practice, practice, practice.

Talk to the fast guys at the track. Observe what they do and don't do.

Keep notes on what changes do what.

Like others have said, slow is fast. Keep it slow but steady. Learn the lines and as you put together consistent laps, keep pushing the speed up.

Lost of practice, definitely frustration at times but remember to always have fun.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Talk with people at your local track.
They will have the best advice for that track.
Originally Posted by danielwow12 View Post
Hello! Years ago I wanted to try touring car carpet racing once I saw them at my local track! Unfortunately, that hobby shop has closed, but I have found a new one that is running the USGT (21.5t) class and I have dived in!

I visited and met a lot of great drivers, but my only experience with racing is VRC on the computer (using my own transmitter).

Is there any advice you would give to a beginner racer or any advice you wish you knew when you first started? I am good with the orientation of the car (I come from planes and 3d helis), but I find myself over correcting in turns, coming into turns too fast or too slow and hitting the walls way before the apex.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give!!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Practice is key but practice certain things each time. Don't just try to do hero laps over and over. If your slow in a section keep on doing that section to get faster there. You can't buy speed most of the time, buy tires and track time instead. If your radio has expo or servo speed try that out. Just about every vehicle I have I've turned down the servo speed. If your over steering try reducing your steering endpoints or turn down your d/r. Set your car up the way you like it to drive not how a local fast guy likes his car to drive. Bring a note book w/ you on practice days to jot down what changes you made and what they did good or bad. The note book is key for race days w/ a new layout when you need a little something more such as more steering or rotation. Oh yea get a few batteries so you can make the most out of your days at the track. I see a lot of new guys w/ one battery and a crappy charger. They spend half there time waiting for there battery to charge.