Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to rc, don't have a car >

New to rc, don't have a car

Like Tree1Likes

New to rc, don't have a car

Old 06-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? New to rc, don't have a car

Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for my first car to get. I'm wanting a 1/10 buggy to race with my uncle. I'd prefer to build, but if I get an rtr I'm sure it could be disassembled and put back together? I haven't driven a car for about 15 years (I was 12 or so). I have general knowledge about them but nothing in depth. I'm looking to stay around $400 to start. I came across the associated rc10b4.2. It's an rtr with battery and charger. Like I said I'd prefer to build, but that seems a little out of my price range. I appreciate any advice!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slanman
Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for my first car to get. I'm wanting a 1/10 buggy to race with my uncle. I'd prefer to build, but if I get an rtr I'm sure it could be disassembled and put back together? I haven't driven a car for about 15 years (I was 12 or so). I have general knowledge about them but nothing in depth. I'm looking to stay around $400 to start. I came across the associated rc10b4.2. It's an rtr with battery and charger. Like I said I'd prefer to build, but that seems a little out of my price range. I appreciate any advice!
If you're not opposed to used goods, I would highly suggest getting one of the many used ARTR buggies that pop up on the for sale threads here on RCtech. You could probably get an Associated B5m or B6d with electronics around your price range. But definitely can't really put a new kit together for that price.

The RTR package is not a fantastic one tbh. The b4.2 is a good car, but that RTR kit requires a lot of hop ups to bring it close to factory specs. And even if you do, you still end up with a car that is old and not used much anymore.

My suggestion is go for a used kit that has electronics. It's your best bet at getting a competitive buggy in your price range that won't leave you wanting more.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

That's sort of what I was thinking. I'm just not sure where to get a used car from. I've gone to two of the local shops and hey don't have what I want, but one of them said they may have new kits that could be done in my price range. So I'm gonna go check them out Sunday. I had found some reviews for some kit that was 80$ that had really good reviews but it's discontinued, so I figured it wouldn't be possible to get replacement parts.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

That's sort of what I was thinking. I'm just not sure where to get a used car from. I've gone to two of the local shops and hey don't have what I want, but one of them said they may have new kits that could be done in my price range. So I'm gonna go check them out Sunday. I had found some reviews for some kit that was 80$ that had really good reviews but it's discontinued, so I figured it wouldn't be possible to get replacement parts.
Oh my friend there are tons of options here on the forums for used kits Just check out the "for sale" section and feast your eyes on the many deals.

Kits to look out for in the 2wd buggy department:

AE B5m or B6D
TLR 22 3.0 (4.0 if you can find one)
HB d216
Kyosho RB6 or 6.6 (RB5's can be had super cheap too)

And as for the cheap kits you've alluded to. I assume those are some of the Hobbyking/RCmart kits and while I have seen good things about them, you still have to combat the issue that no local track will carry parts for those cars unless you are very lucky. So you'll either need to stock up on spare parts from the beginning or accept the possibility that you'll more than likely always need to wait a few days if you break something.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like Ebbtide said. Buy one in the classified section on here. You can get a B5M or maybe a TLR 22 3.0 in your price range. That would both be competitive cars still.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

My uncle suggested a b6d. He said I can probably get a roller for 150 and then fill in the rest. And he had a radio I can have. Does that sound fairly accurate on the price?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

My uncle suggested a b6d. He said I can probably get a roller for 150 and then fill in the rest. And he had a radio I can have. Does that sound fairly accurate on the price?
I'd say that sounds fairly accurate for the B6d. And you should be able to get some decent electronics in there too with your remaining budget
Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I'd say that sounds fairly accurate for the B6d. And you should be able to get some decent electronics in there too with your remaining budget
Any idea where to find that at? Everything I see here and on eBay is $300
Old 06-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Any idea where to find that at? Everything I see here and on eBay is $300
well a new kit is $300 so a roller should be around $200 or less. Then you can select your own electronics. That should see you around your $400 budget in the end with a cheap radio. And it just takes time to find the right deal if you're set on the b6d.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Electronics I'd go with a hobbywing justock ($55) unless you're racing modified, and either a used motor or hobbywing makes some cheap fixed timing motors. The cheapest radios (new) are about $60 but you'd be best to bump up to a $100 to get a computerized radio.
EbbTide likes this.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

It sounds like my uncle is going to give me a radio and some batteries, so now I'm just searching for a car! I found a kyosho rb6.6 for $175 if still available.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The best advice anyone can give you is as follows: go to the track where you plan to practice/race and ask around. I would get a common car that is being run at that track. You will receive nvaluable set up hel and can borrow parts in a pinch.....Most of the top brands are capable of winning...... Try to get a durable car.... See wha are the most common classes.....Do not buy a car where they have just a few in a dying class.....
Old 06-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

It sounds like my uncle is going to give me a radio and some batteries, so now I'm just searching for a car! I found a kyosho rb6.6 for $175 if still available.
The rb6.6 is a nice car indeed. It is out of the box more for high bite clay tracks but it can be tuned anyway you like, if your track is more loose dirt. It is a good idea to do what the above commenter mentioned about seeing what is raced locally though. It's not necessary to get the same car the locals drive, but it definitely helps when you need setup advice on a practice day
Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

He said they race 2wd and 4wd 1/10 buggies. I think he said he has a b64d and a serpent. So I think I'm looking at the right kind of car. There's also a carpet track in town I just found out about
Old 06-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Would a serpent srx2 or srx4 be better?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.