New to rc, don't have a car

Like Tree1Likes

New to rc, don't have a car

Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slanman
Would a serpent srx2 or srx4 be better?
Well the srx4 is a 4x4 buggy so that's a big difference lol. The srx2 is a good 2wd buggy too though. Parts support might not be as good as the b6d or RB6 but it's a solid buggy.

I can't really say which is better though. Most of the current 2wd buggies come close in competition
Old 06-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I can't really say which is better though. Most of the current 2wd buggies come close in competition
^This

The only real difference between an "exotic" car like the Kyosho Rb6.6 and more "common" cars like Associated B6D or Losi 22-4, is that the latter two cars will have better support from 3rd party companies like Schelle and MiP. Since you're just getting back into things, upgrades are probably not too important at this juncture. Still, it's nice to have those options available when you're ready.

/gotta plug Hobbyking... They should so sponsor me...
Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

I'm think my uncle is going to give me a b5d and radio, I'll just have to get electronics and a charger. Hopefully I can get it this week... I can't wait to get going! Any suggestions for a charger?
Old 06-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

I'm think my uncle is going to give me a b5d and radio, I'll just have to get electronics and a charger. Hopefully I can get it this week... I can't wait to get going! Any suggestions for a charger?
How much are you willing to spend?
Old 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

How much are you willing to spend?
Idk, is there anything good around $100?

I'd like to keep my total spending around $300. I think he said it needs about 50$ in parts, plus motor and esc (100$?) then ill probably need 1-2 batteries. How long do the batteries even last nowdays? The last time I drove a car the batteries looked like a bunch of C batteries wrapped up and lasted maybe 10 minutes.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Idk, is there anything good around $100?

I'd like to keep my total spending around $300. I think he said it needs about 50$ in parts, plus motor and esc (100$?) then ill probably need 1-2 batteries. How long do the batteries even last nowdays? The last time I drove a car the batteries looked like a bunch of C batteries wrapped up and lasted maybe 10 minutes.
You can get a nice charger for that price. I know a lot of others here will prefer using a power supply + DC charger combo, but I am still big on using AC/DC chargers because of their simplicity. So here are a couple I really like that are somewhat close to the price range.

Hitex X2 Pro. This one is definitely a good bit beyond the $100 mark but it does give you even more convenience with the included soldering iron setup. Always handy for track days if you don't like packing up your good iron. I sure don't lol And the 200 watts of available charge current can be distributed however you want between the two channels so it still gives you a lot of power for 4s batteries if you go bigger in the future.

Dynamite Ultraforce 220w: This one I have personally and even though it is a single charger, it has plenty of power to quick charge any of my current and future batteries up to 4s. Plus its balance cycle is extremely quick and so far accurate which shaves off overall charge time. Overall it's just a good powerful AC/DC charger that can charge at a pretty nice amp rate with an easy to use interface
Old 06-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

You can get a nice charger for that price. I know a lot of others here will prefer using a power supply + DC charger combo, but I am still big on using AC/DC chargers because of their simplicity. So here are a couple I really like that are somewhat close to the price range.

Hitex X2 Pro. This one is definitely a good bit beyond the $100 mark but it does give you even more convenience with the included soldering iron setup. Always handy for track days if you don't like packing up your good iron. I sure don't lol And the 200 watts of available charge current can be distributed however you want between the two channels so it still gives you a lot of power for 4s batteries if you go bigger in the future.

Dynamite Ultraforce 220w: This one I have personally and even though it is a single charger, it has plenty of power to quick charge any of my current and future batteries up to 4s. Plus its balance cycle is extremely quick and so far accurate which shaves off overall charge time. Overall it's just a good powerful AC/DC charger that can charge at a pretty nice amp rate with an easy to use interface
I don't have a soldering iron...so maybe that might be good. Come to think of it, I've only got some wrenches and a socket set. Damn this is gonna be expensive! Lol. I don't know much about the batteries, but I think it'll make more sense once I actually get them
Old 06-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

I don't have a soldering iron...so maybe that might be good. Come to think of it, I've only got some wrenches and a socket set. Damn this is gonna be expensive! Lol. I don't know much about the batteries, but I think it'll make more sense once I actually get them
All I can say is whichever tools you have to buy, make them count don't go for cutting corners in picking hex drivers and nut drivers. They'll last you a long time.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

What kinda stuff might I need? I'm also currently shopping for a short course motor and esc...any suggestions what to look for?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

What kinda stuff might I need? I'm also currently shopping for a short course motor and esc...any suggestions what to look for?
Here is a list of some things I can think of as far as tools go:

digital calipers
needle nose pliers
Body reamer
Hex wrenches: 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm
12mm shock tool (Tekno shock pliers work great)
Wire cutters/stripper
Nut drivers: 5.5mm, 7mm
Hobby knife
Turnbuckle wrench

For a short course truck generally I prefer going for better electronics because it usually requires slightly higher current to run well. But you could get away with running this Castle Sidewinder combo provided you run a servo that can operate at 4.8v (most can unless it's a "high voltage" servo)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...123-02/p618580
Old 06-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

I could probably do around $150 for the combo, I think he had extra servos (if anything works) and he has a radio for me so probably a receiver as well. There's not much left besides a battery charger?

Oh I just saw that charger is 150$. We'll, if that combo is good I can get that. The more affordable the better! What batteries should I be looking for?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

I could probably do around $150 for the combo, I think he had extra servos (if anything works) and he has a radio for me so probably a receiver as well. There's not much left besides a battery charger?
Well just to check off a list for electronics, you need;

ESC/motor
Servo
TX/RX
Battery
Charger
Transponder (only if the track doesn't have loaners)

Btw, you said you wanted esc/motor for a short course truck. But the car your uncle is giving you, B5M, is a 2wd buggy. You definitely don't need to spend more on a motor/esc combo if you only need electronics for a buggy. So are you also running a short course truck? Or do you intend this motor/ESC combo for the B5m buggy?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Well just to check off a list for electronics, you need;

ESC/motor
Servo
TX/RX
Battery
Charger
Transponder (only if the track doesn't have loaners)

Btw, you said you wanted esc/motor for a short course truck. But the car your uncle is giving you, B5M, is a 2wd buggy. You definitely don't need to spend more on a motor/esc combo if you only need electronics for a buggy. So are you also running a short course truck? Or do you intend this motor/ESC combo for the B5m buggy?
I guess I wasn't sure what short course means lol. I've seen the really big dirt tracks and then the small ones (10-15 second laps) so I thought they were different. Oops!! I need parts for the b5m. I'll for sure have a radio, 1-2 batteries, and I think he has a servo. He also said it needed like 50$ in parts-not sure if they included any electronics.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

slan i have read the list of tools....sorry i dont think you need all those yet... body reamer not yet unless your getting a new body.. transponder bigger expense... i hope your track has house transponder
Solder iron yes good solder yes 30/60 flux core
hex set not really.. allen wrenches are fine sae and metric both needed...
shock wrench not really..
sorry no such thing as a b5d...b5m sure buggy mid motor
motor combo is the same as esc/motor this combo can be higher dollar or low cost..
servo with servo saver a must ...servo saver will save you the cost of buying new servos after you bang into something hard
Battery.. you going 2 cell lipo?? then lipo sak is a must
charger a low cost b6 will work along with a converted computer power supply to get 12volts.. under #30 total.
b
Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

I guess I wasn't sure what short course means lol. I've seen the really big dirt tracks and then the small ones (10-15 second laps) so I thought they were different. Oops!! I need parts for the b5m. I'll for sure have a radio, 1-2 batteries, and I think he has a servo. He also said it needed like 50$ in parts-not sure if they included any electronics.
If you just need an ESC/motor for your buggy then this Hobbywing combo is great bang for your buck. But they come in different combos which support different classes. If you and your uncle are going to run in a 2wd mod buggy class, then this ESC/motor combo should be fine for you

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...020400/p453304

But if you are going to run a stock 17.5 class, then this combo would be ideal. https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...020402/p453306

So it might be a good idea to ask your uncle which specific 2wd buggy class you two will run

And please don't waste your time with allen wrenches unless it's absolutely all you have on hand. I will say the shock tool I mentioned isn't necessary but extremely useful. It's not just for building shocks FYI

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.