Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric motor heatsinks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Electric motor heatsinks

I just got a new battery pack and took my car for a good run, afterwards my chameleon 2 pro was damn hot, to hot to touch. would a heatsink improve the life of the motor or are they meant to be able to handle the heat.
I see what people mean when they say to change out the plastic bearings or theyd melt heh .
thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think you need to find out why they're that hot to begin with. Mesh? Mechanical binding? Have a look, and try again.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

I think the most probable cause for your hot motor is your gearing. Maybe you over geared the pinion. Try changing your pinion to a lower tooth setting. Is your car equipped plastic bushings? Try changing it with ball bearings. Putting a heatsink might help, but having a very2x hot motor every run is not good.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Initiate

My cars on a 19t pinion gear, i have equiped it with ball bearings now and what a difference speedwise and it doesnt get as hot.
thanks for your help.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

what car is it? and what spur gear?

another thing that will make the motor run hot is old brushes and the comm needing to be cut.. along with needing to be cleaned..

Its been a while but if I remember right, the stock brushes that come
with the c2 dont do it justice.. try some reedy 767's with a +red and -green spring..
Old 12-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

The car is most likely some kind of Tamiya. They love plastic bushings (Which totally suck...I'm suprised they took the pounding of a Chameleon 2 in the first place!).

Make sure the drivetrain is free and clean. Sometimes something can wrap itself around a dogbone and cause the drivetrain to bind. Gear mesh is also something to check.

A heatsink will reduce the motor tempuratures and increase the longevity of the motor, but if it won't help solve your problem because you're overgeared or binding to begin with then it's just a waste of money. Check what's been said and let us know if it gets any cooler. It sounds like your gearing is already down to a safer spot, but just for the Hell of it, look into the gear mesh and drivetrain resistance. Sometimes you can be suprised.