Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
got a noob question... >

got a noob question...

got a noob question...

Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default got a noob question...

this is my first elec rc and i just finished building a team tc4 with 11x2 motor.

when i go full throttle from stand still my gears seems to be slipping. the motor would spin really fast but the car is slowing moving like the motor is spinning faster than the car. when it picks up speed it sounds normal again. is this normal or is something wrong?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Tech Master

11x2 for your first elec... gotta love that..

first thing to check is the gear mesh between the spur and pinion, also make sure the pinion isn't slipping..
next on the list would be the diffs, they could be slipping...
Old 12-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It sounds as if the diffs are to loose. To test them place hold the back tires and try to rotate the spur gear(the big one) without the motor attached. If u can turn the spur gear with no effort then they are far to loose tighten them up until u can't move the spur gear by hand and then repeat for the front. Then u should have no problem.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As stated before, sounds like diffs to me.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Rookie

ya i checked the diffs they were def loose. man was it hard to get to... now i got another problem the car takes off sideways like one wheel has more traction that the other... yes the car move straight when going slow/high speed so i dont think its a servo problem
Old 12-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like torque steer. As the motor is mounted longitudinally, when it spools up, it creates a torque which can steer the car in one direction (I can't remember whether it is right or left). Torque steer is a common feature of shaft driven cars.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

torque steer shouldn't be so serious as to cause the car to veer when accelerating.

check your front droop. make sure they're even on both left and right

also check your shock preload on your rear shocks. put your car with all electronics in on a flat surface and lift the front slowly, observe which front wheel lifts first. if the left front wheels lifts first, add more preload to the rear RIGHT shock and lessen the preload on the rear left shock
Old 12-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Did you remember to use the correct number of shims per side of the diff?

As for your steering problem...it sounds like an exagerated tourque steer issue, but for that motor I doubt it's actual torque steer. As stated before check your droop. Also make sure that all your stub axles are spinning the wheels. If the pin falls out of the hexs then the car won't move. Check all around the drivetrain for signs of a binding part, or a damaged outdrive/CVD.

For a begginner a FT: TC4 is one Hell of a car! You should be racing that thing, not bashing it!

Seriously, that car is an insane car to start off with. It's going to throw you in the accelerated in the school of R/C. If you can keep up, that car will be on par with just about any other FT: TC4 around!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Rookie

it turns out that i had over tightened my wheels and it binded to the shaft. now everything runs fine. thanks guys for the tips =)