Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
The Proper Way to Steer >

The Proper Way to Steer

The Proper Way to Steer

Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The Proper Way to Steer

I have a question about steering in general. I have heard that we aren't supposed to let go of the wheel when wanting to return the steering to neutral. Whenever I want to return the steering to neutral, I have always just let go of the wheel and let the natural recoil return my steering to neutral. Is this technically incorrect? How do the pros steer?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I think it depends on the situation. typically though, you don't let go of the wheel (or I don't) letting go causes a momentary lapse in the steering control.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

I usually let go of the wheel when straightening on the straight away.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Not really something I've paid alot of attention to. I don't believe I take my hand off the wheel at anytime though.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

Put your RC on a stand, turn the wheel all the way then let go. Watch the front wheels, they will likely shake back and forth a bit. The spring doesn't just turn the wheel back to center, in many cases it will overshoot and vibrate back and forth as it settles down. Not what you want entering the straightaway. Hold on to the wheel.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Letting go is bad. I've got a friend that I'm trying to get to break the habit. I guarantee no pro does this.

Think of your actual car, do you let go of the wheel after a turn? Don't even let the wheel slide back through your fingers.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Never let go of the wheel... I typically run on clockwise tracks, and trim the steering slightly to the left to ensure that I never get the urge to let go of the wheel.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah letting go probably isn't the best technique. Also experiment with your steering throw settings.

I like to set mine so that the maximum throw is just enough to get around the tightest turn on the track.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

You should always keep your fingers on the wheel and control the return rate (to neutral), or steering in the other direction past neutral. Grip the wheel so that you can turn left and right naturally, without having to re-adjust your grip. When you let go of the wheel, you lose all control. Watch the fast guys at your track, they drive like the pros drive, fingers always on the wheel, car always in full control.

I should add that if you're letting go of the steering wheel past a corner, you're not really driving the correct line. You "unwind" the steering as you apply the throttle coming out of the corner. Think of the two as connected by an invisible string... the string is always tight and can't stretch. So, you apply more throttle as you straighten out the wheel, in a smooth, combined motion. You can't do that if you let go of the wheel.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

I never let go of the wheel. I think it's easier to get the car going straight but easing into it.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dave H
Put your RC on a stand, turn the wheel all the way then let go. Watch the front wheels, they will likely shake back and forth a bit. The spring doesn't just turn the wheel back to center, in many cases it will overshoot and vibrate back and forth as it settles down. Not what you want entering the straightaway. Hold on to the wheel.

this has always been my reasoning for not letting go
Old 12-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skurge
this has always been my reasoning for not letting go
Hardly the only reason thou, I agree with all the other reasons given as well. It's just something that came to mind to visually demonstrate one aspect. I've seen guys doing this, and then trying to figure out what was wrong with their equipment!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Rookie

My friend and owner of the LHS said he sees broken controllers all the time due to the "Let go" technique. No reason not to believe him as he is a stand up guy!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Question.... A little off topic but still about steering... So I noticed my right turns aren't as sharp as my left turns... Could it be my driving and not timing the right hand turns correctly or could it be my servo is not centered exact so I'm getting more left than right? Any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NewbieRacer30
Question.... A little off topic but still about steering... So I noticed my right turns aren't as sharp as my left turns... Could it be my driving and not timing the right hand turns correctly or could it be my servo is not centered exact so I'm getting more left than right? Any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks.
There is a lot that factors into equal feeling right and left steering.

1. Left and right throw needs to be the same. For the most part the left EPA and right EPA won't be equal to achieve that. A quick and dirty way to do this is to drive the car in a circle at full steering lock and make sure that the diameter of that circle is equal left and right.

2. Chassis balance. If the car isn't balanced left to right, there will be a different amount of weight transfer left and right, thus resulting in a different steering reaction and feel.

3. Shocks, ride height, tweak. This is somewhat related to the weight balance above to. If your car is tweaked, or if your ride height isn't equal left to right (and thus / or) your spring preloads are different enough left to right, or if your shocks aren't equally smooth/rebounding/damped left to right, the car will react differently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.