Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
The Proper Way to Steer >

The Proper Way to Steer

The Proper Way to Steer

Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
There is a lot that factors into equal feeling right and left steering.

1. Left and right throw needs to be the same. For the most part the left EPA and right EPA won't be equal to achieve that. A quick and dirty way to do this is to drive the car in a circle at full steering lock and make sure that the diameter of that circle is equal left and right.

2. Chassis balance. If the car isn't balanced left to right, there will be a different amount of weight transfer left and right, thus resulting in a different steering reaction and feel.

3. Shocks, ride height, tweak. This is somewhat related to the weight balance above to. If your car is tweaked, or if your ride height isn't equal left to right (and thus / or) your spring preloads are different enough left to right, or if your shocks aren't equally smooth/rebounding/damped left to right, the car will react differently.
Perfect!! Thanks so much for the great info!! I will for sure try/check all three items you listed... #2 method seems like a great starting point to see if they are actually off or if it's just my driving. Thanks again!!

Edit: I meant the #1 method seems like a great starting point. Thanks again

Last edited by NewbieRacer30; 12-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

To add to Metalnut's solid points, I think the #1 slow left & right circles is more than quick and dirty, but rather an important final check after setting toe/camber/ride height. Repeat it occasionally to help detect damage/tweaks. Most all cars other than pan cars have some left/right steering imbalance in the linkage.

#2 & 3, on many cars you can lift the front of the RC, and then the back, from the center of the shock tower with a small driver or knife. Make sure each end has level ride height. Want to avoid any diagonal tweak, or what many ovals guys call wedge.

And general maintenance. Something like a bad hub bearing on one side can cause weird steering for example.