Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble soldering

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
to most of you guys it's all about how you look to your fellow racer in the pits.
I know plenty of electronics repair guys that use a cheap iron out in the field and fix $100k equipment with it.
you don't "need" a $100 solding station to solder a wire to a bullet connector. any 35w iron will work.
but it's not as cool looking and no one makes a "skin" for it to make it even more "cool" so some of you snub your noses up at them
if you were going to be solding things daily I would get the $100 station. at best you solder stuff a few times a year. if it's coming loose then you need to learn how to solder.

so begs the question why stop at the $90 one. there are some out there that cost $1100. you don't want to mess up your esc and motor do you? better get one today.... http://www.sears.com/weller-solder-f...6&blockType=G6
Right, because that's exactly why I suggested buying a quality soldering station, they look pretty.

I've seen too many people at the track trying to solder with a one of the "good enough" soldering irons only to ask to borrow mine. Which after I let them borrow mine they say how much easier it is to work with an iron that's comfortable, holds heat and comes up to temp fast. I've had no less than 3 people in the last week ask to borrow soldering station because their wasn't getting he job done.

I consider my iron to be another tool and anyone that's been in this hobby for more than a week understands that where you don't skimp is your tools. Quality tools will last you for years, even if you get out of the hobby keep your tools, chances are you'll be back.

I don't snub my nose at people because I have a quality iron, I willingly let them borrow mine or I'll solder what they need for them.

"Why'd you buy an airbrush to paint your body, a rattle can will get the job done!!!"

Last edited by EricW; 01-08-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
Right, because that's exactly why I suggested buying a quality soldering station, they look pretty.

I've seen too many people at the track trying to solder with a one of the "good enough" soldering irons only to ask to borrow mine. Which after I let them borrow mine they say how much easier it is to work with an iron that's comfortable, holds heat and comes up to temp fast. I've had no less than 3 people in the last week ask to borrow soldering station because their wasn't getting he job done.

I consider my iron to be another tool and anyone that's been in this hobby for more than a week understands that where you don't skimp is your tools. Quality tools will last you for years, even if you get out of the hobby keep your tools, chances are you'll be back.

I don't snub my nose at people because I have a quality iron, I willingly let them borrow mine or I'll solder what they need for them.

"Why'd you buy an airbrush to paint your body, a rattle can will get the job done!!!"
when you're ready to step up from the kid grade that link is still there to the $1100 station.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW

I find myself soldering stuff with my 20 year old $20 stick iron for people that have an expensive station and no clue on how to solder. I did have to get a new tip 5 years ago and it was $7 ! outrageous !

Last edited by asc6000; 01-09-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: tip
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This is getting old, knock it off.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
when you're ready to step up from the kid grade that link is still there to the $1100 station.
That's the one I have already.