Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ball bearing oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The traditional Mobile One synthetic is what most who use that method use, you don't need any of the "fuel saver" or "high mileage" variations. Avid recommends 10W-30.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

This product is the same WD 40 ???
Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Speedfreakzx10r
Hi Here's my two cents. Being in the bearing business for over 16 years now If you are gonna use some kind of light weight lube I would recommend a lube called Inox mx-3. I belive they sell it a ACE hardware if you dont have one around you im sure you can find a distributor in your area. Any questions feel free to ask.

Speed
This product is the same WD 40 ???
Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Bearings are cheap, and yes if you have free time you can take them apart, clean and re-lube them. If they have any slop or you can still feel grit after a single pass of cleaning just ditch and replace.

Most people, they simply replace them instead of cleaning them. The standard bearings are about a $1 each from Avid.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought a spray can of this,
http://www.ultralube.com/HomeLinks/4xMoreLubrication at lowe's. so far I'm impressed how much lubricity it has by touching it. it says it "bonds" to metal. it's more like a chain oil as it's much much thicker than any spray lube I've ever seen other than chain lubes.
but I spray it in a micro oiler bottle from trinity to use it for bearings.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...earing-TRI4025

I also have a bottle of parma pse TQ bearing oil. seems to perform just fine to me. of all my cars I've never needed to replace a bearing yet.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 01-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What oil you use is not as important as how often you clean and lube them. A factory greased bearing is good for months, a cleaned and lubed with oil is good for a day then MUST be cleaned and oiled again or whatever tiny gains were made are lost. The factory grease keeps dirt out, simple oils won't do that. You will need to clean those buggers out constantly.
Off road ? I'll use new bearings. Carpet ? take off the seals and let those babies run free. Clean and lube as desired.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

all of mine are just oiled and i go months without touching them.
clean and oil daily? buy a better bearing with high quality seals if you need to do it that often. you can't expect a $1 bearing to last.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
While for a bearing that should work just fine.

I'll give you a little fyi comparison of Mobil 1 vs. a standard oil....Back in the day (1997-2002) when I ran 1/24 slot cars many classes required the use of oillite bushings. If you were to or ever have applied heat to one of these you would actually see them excrete fluid/oil as you heated them. Some bushings you could buy were MUCH harder and smother BUT the use of anything other than Mobil 1 or an equivalent synthetic oil would cause them to cease onto the axle from the friction.

Pointless when talking about bearings but my point is that there is a difference between Mobil 1 and a standard oil. As far as a high heat/pressure application is concerned.
Haha, Slick 7 bushings. They weren't phosphor-bronze (porous) but just machined from solid brass. I never had any trouble with them but I used Mobile 1 0w-30 full synthetic. Many other people had them seize up.