Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
HELP! general inqiries about Factory Team b4!!!!!!! >

HELP! general inqiries about Factory Team b4!!!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! general inqiries about Factory Team b4!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? HELP! general inqiries about Factory Team b4!!!!!!!

Hey, everyone!

I have a few questions about my new Factory Team b4, but to start out with I'll give myself a small introduction.

Though I've been aware of and owned r/c vehicles for many years, just recently (for about a month now) I've gotten super intensly into the sport/hobby! I spend hours on the computer researching and researching and researching all about everything in reference to r/c that I possibly can, and I absolutely love it. It's basically a passion!

I bought a mini-lst a few years after it came out off of ebay, and it had terrible diffs. I blew my front, (didn't know this at the time) so I thought I broke it (haha) and set it in one of my dresser drawers for a real loooong time. Then one day I decided I should try to fix it. I'd been doing a lot of research on the computer and learned a bit more about the mini-lst and it's diff issues. So I messed with it a little, and found that my rear and center diffs were still intact. So I rigged the front outdrive on the center diff (locked it out of movement with a piece of thick wire) so it would work in 2wd. Though I know now that was a terrible, terrible idea, as the spiders would have to work 24/7 to get the car running, it actually worked for a while, then it "broke" (again). I took it completely apart one day, a 7 hour project, and individually cleaned and inspected each part, as to learn the vehicle. I proceeded to take the diffs out of their cases, and found that I had actually, literally, [I]melted[I] the spider gears in my center diff! Well, 2 out of the 3 haha! So then I actually found that both front and read diffs were intact, but the front gearbox was broken, (around the left outdrive) and that was why originally I believed it to be shot. But to the point... through all that, I was becoming more and more interested! So I was looking for a whole bunch of parts to hop up my lst, then found a completely hopped-up mini lst on ebay... C4 8000kv, 1-servo conversion, complete carbonfiber chassis, brushless esc, viscous diffs... everything!!! So I bought that, and have been running it for quite a while! I took it to the track and saw a ton of people rippin n runnin with buggies and stadium trucks... my cousin who also came along, and I decided that aside from my "cute little mini-lst" that these 1/10 rides were awesome. So I bought (amazing deal!) a factory team b4, a normal b4 that I believe comes with enough parts to convert it to a factory team, and some electronics out of a sc10, for only $237!!! I won the bid in the last 3 seconds (go me!) and there were a total of 32 bids. It was intense. I'm relatively young (17) and I had to have my mom pay for a good portion of it (I only had $160 haha) so I don't get the goods till I pay her back... but wanted to ask some questions!

(Sorry for that "introduction" being more of a short story. )

What kind of battery pack should I get for it?

Also, I plan on running it on a brushless system, I was planning on either getting the reedy brushless system, or the MMM. What are your suggestions?

I am solely familiar with lipo batteries, and I've only noticed mostly that people run b4's and cars that have the long tray battery holder-thing with nimh batteries. If I got nimh, what do I need to know about this like, cycling thing... & general charging guidlines?

Also, I'm planning on purchasing a thunder power multi-complatible charger for whateva batteries I'd be using.

That's all the questions I can think of right now...

Any other suggestions or comments on what I should do with my electronic-less FTb4, or anything regarding b4's at all? Anything would and will help!

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!
~Christoph
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

Don't muck around with NiMh, almost everyone uses Lipo now, some just look like NiMh (barrel shape).
For 2wd off-road, it's hard to get a brushless set-up that won't work well. I'd go for something around a 13.5 to 10.5 sensored set-up to start with. More power than that is a handful for 2wd.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JR007
Don't muck around with NiMh, almost everyone uses Lipo now, some just look like NiMh (barrel shape).
For 2wd off-road, it's hard to get a brushless set-up that won't work well. I'd go for something around a 13.5 to 10.5 sensored set-up to start with. More power than that is a handful for 2wd.

With a sensored system, I think I've read that it watches the motor, and that helps the esc respond better in terms of reaction? What are the actual benefits of a sensored system in comparison to a sensorless?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Christoph Amiss
With a sensored system, I think I've read that it watches the motor, and that helps the esc respond better in terms of reaction? What are the actual benefits of a sensored system in comparison to a sensorless?
The sensor actually "sences" where the rotor is at start up and applies power to the apropriate pole. This results in a much smoother feel when starting out, after that the power is the same. Actually once running a sensorless system is said to be more efficient. Long story short a sensored system is a big plus in a buggy and especially for racing. Tekin RS actually uses both, senosored for start up and then switches to sensorless. If I understand it correctly.