Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help. >

new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.

hello,
im totally new to RC cars and have no clue about brands and parts and upgrades..
i wana get into rc drifting. i reckon this hobby would be fun and fulfilling for me.
i want to start on electrics for now. and then if i got enough experience im goin for nitros.
i need help on where to start and what to buy.
and also i want to assemble my first kit. it would be a good learning process for me. and could u guys please give me some advice what entry level kits should i go for. because money-wise i dont have much to spend at the moment,.
cheers.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Welcome to this wonderfull hobby. If you wan't to get your first rc car, you should by it rtr(ready to run) because building a rc car requires a minimum of skills. Go to your local hobby store and tell them what you wan't to buy and what is your budget. A good price for a onroad car would be around 200 to 250. Then, you will have to add another 100$ for a battery and charger. If you want to go into drifting you absolutely need a 4wd touring car. Start by learning how to drive the car without drifting. When you think you have pratice enough, put drift tires. Here are a few rc car company brands and websites where you can find what you are looking for:

Cars:
-Hpi
-Hot bodies
-tamiya

Web sites:
-A main hobbies
-Tower hobbies
-hobbyhobby

Hope this helps
Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Once again welcome to the hobby it is very fun if you take your time and willing to learn and not shy to ask questions you can have a blast with the hobby. That being said I would realy recommend getting the Ready to Run better know as the RTR for the fact that way you can acctualy see all that you need but also on that note look for a RTR that you can up grade also for example you get an HPI drift car what other upgrades or hop ups is out there such as tires and wheels ESC <--electronic speed control Servos witch is best to go with the motor that you chose. To build your own you do need some knowledge of the items that is needed some things will not work together they may but not properley to get the best performance. RTR can be just as fun and rewarding as a kit that you put together.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

well tnx very much for the warm welcome.
yeah i would go for rtr's first.
i have been searching and the good one i could find is an HPI e10.
the guy i was asking said its a good entry level kit.
and i can buy a few "hop-ups" for it as well.
im also looking for people who do this kind of hobby in my area so i could ask them and they could help me out as well.
i really think this hobby will be fulfilling and fun. rather than wasting my money on booze and partying.
I would be in this forum all the time from now on. i have soooo many questions to ask.
but for now. i thank you for a good advice and a very warm welcome..
Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check out the buy/sell thread, there are some seriously good deals for used Touring Cars so you might be able to get a much better quality TC for about the same price as a new RTR. RTR's are good but definetly make sure it's a model that is upgradable because it won't be long before you're hooked and want every available hop-up
HPI E10 is okay but for less than 100$ more the Sprint 2 Drift is much much better. Do your research and ask lots of questions, nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on a car only to realize it's a piece of crap. There is a lot of crap disguised as quality in this hobby but fortunately there is a ton of great people on RCTECH that will help you out.
There is a Losi XXXS for sale on the trading thread, MRFASTRC51, for 75$ would just need a controller. This car is discontinued but parts are still around.
Actually Getting a brand new car, opening the box, shiny new everything, putting on stickers, that's an awesome experience for a newbie so yeah if I were you I would go for an HPI Sprint 2 Drift.

Last edited by BrodieMan; 11-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try to get a car that is popular from a known brand. Otherwise, it could get hard to find parts if this car is discoutinued.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

hi dethRC,

I just finished compiling a list of cheap electric rc cars. hope this helps.

http://www.rccarsrtr.com/index.php/cheap-rc-cars.html

If it's a kit you want, try the Tamiya TT-01D Drift Spec kits.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Your article had no mention of Traxxas vehicles for cheap offroad. A 2wd Slash can be found for $200. My local shop had them on sale for $189 with a battery and charger included!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Timbulb,

The Traxxas Slash is number 13 on my list at $189

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Well I'll be damned, it is.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi sorry for late reply. i got sucked into my skool projects and exams and all.

i just bought my first car its an e10, but it still needs electronics. i bought it really cheap its brand new. since it was an unwanted gift and he does not have any idea on rc's. from a friend of a friend. its the pre assembled one without all the electronics in it, but its got the motor.
im pretty excited on this one coz i need to put all the electronics in which is pretty fun for me. haha. still saving my part-time job pay to buy the electronics though. hopefully i will get this baby up and drifting in 2 weeks.
thanks for all your help.
props up to Brodieman, B4power, kodiakbear7070, rccartips. for the warm welcome, tips and advice. this makes me enjoy the hobby more and more.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

yea check ur lhs and get the car with most parts support
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Congrats on the new ride DethRC
Hopefully you can get your electronics soon and have some fun
Got some pics for us?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have to dis-agree with everyone here. I think the only way to start is building your first kit, that way you dont have to wonder whats going on inside your car when there is a problem. If you take your time and get a kit with good instructions you will be much better off in the long run. Plus the feeling of accomplishment is huge.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

For sure building a kit is great fun. Although building it wrong and having problems straight away would be very frustrating. I do recall putting together kits when I was really young and not enjoying it at all I bought a used XX4 a while back that was obviously built by a newbie and he built the diffs and slipper wrong, destroyed the belts then sold it. If he bought a RTR he might have got to enjoy it a bit before he attempted a build he didn't have to skills to do properly. DethRC will get to learn how to build his car soon enough but he for sure will get to have some fun with it first. When he gets his first serious race kit he will have some skills to build it no problem. I do agree though, that more manufacturers should have kit versions for their cars instead of just RTR's or rollers i.e. losi 8, Blitz etc. Building for me is very enjoyable and I do 100% rebuilds almost every time I run my XXX4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.