Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help. >

new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
My Spektrum DX3.0 came with two recievers and two servo's and you can program the transmitter for multiple cars. I have different transmitter profiles for the same car for different types of tracks. You can change the amount of steering, throttle, brakes etc. A really cool thing you can do is called Exponential sensitivity so you can adjust how sensitive your throttle, brakes or steering. Say you want to reduce your throttle sensitivity so you don't do burn outs every time you pull the trigger or you don't want your steering to be really touchy. You can change it the opposite way too so you can have a very unsensitive (i know that's not a word but it's early) steering/throttle/breaks until you get to a certain percentage of your throttle/steering/breaks than it becomes really sensitive.

"i know that's not a word but it's early" LMAO!~
wow, that is a nice and handy feature.
but they are quite expensive.
i will just look for 2nd hand ones.
can i buy extra recievers for it?
and also does it have to be a spektrum servo in order for it to function?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SERPENT7twenty
WELCOME to the hobby From what I have heard the HPI Drift kits are the cheapest. Considering almost every hobby store carries HPI parts it would be a wise decision. Bang for the buck would be picking up a used one that was barely used or is in good shape at least. But if your goal is for new then stick with it.

Yokomo also offers a drifter and I've heard its just as good as the HPI if not better but parts will be your #1 problem as Yokomo is no longer around.

The good part about the HPI drifter is the fact that it starts you off on a basic platform to learn RC engineering and how things work ... it also has an endless amount of aftermarket upgrades so you can upgrade the car as you please along the way to make it bettering in all aspects.

Drifting is fun especially when you add the nice bodies and light kits everywhere.

I've seen some cool drifter RC cars around. Good luck w/your search!

Jay

cheers Jay.
yeah HPI is really known. cheap and good parts support as well.
im almost on my 3rd kit now.
im saving on it to upgrade it and make it better so far its given none but pure joy.
but i need to up on my skills as well.
yeah im trying to paint my body shells as well.
but im still a bit confused on how to put lights to it.
they just look so awesome.
tnx
Old 11-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you should be able to find some great deals in the buy/sell thread. Personally I would not buy a used speed controller because you never know if it has been damaged from overheating/crappy soldering and it might not fail right away after it's been damaged but for radios you should be able to get a good deal for sure.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dethRC
i got scared once i read that it will just explode or catch fire.

but im gonna learn more about it and not rush into this. or i might get F***ed.

ahh. about the frequencies. i read in the HPI manual that I only need to use AM.
Wats the difference in AM and FM in the rc world?
cheers.
About 3yrs ago, I was running one of my 18th scale brushless trucks in and around a brushpile just to see how much of it I could climb around on. Well, I caught a stick just right and punctured the lipo. I saw it start to smoke and knew right away what'd happened. I got to it, pulled shell off and pull lipo out and tossed it onto my driveway. It was still smoking and about 10sec later, it really started to release thick, white cottonball type smoke so think you couldn't see thru it. There was an incredible amount of smoke - it brought my neighbors outside to see what was going on. Lasted about 45sec and then started to die off. It left a big black soot print on the drive way, but I never saw flames. It did get hot, you could feel theheat from it radiateing from teh driveway. It would have metled the chassis in my RC. It waslike the lipo was oxidizing pretty agressively. Notinmg close to an explosion like I've seen years ago when lipo powered planes would crash.

I've just seen a utube vid of someone poking a hole and then shooting a hole through a lipo and then picking it up and holding it. Nothing hapenned. These are way safer than they used to be and will keep getting safer as they experiment with the internal lipo media and find formulas that are 'incident' proof. And I might point out, my incident was entirely my fault. Don't be put off lipo by safety issues, they are less dangerous than NiMH in my opinion. Those can go off like a small grenade showering everyone around with metl shrapnel.

AM or FM - I've run both and had probs with glitching and interference on AM. FM is less susceptible to interference and noise related probs than AM. I think you get better range with FM as well. If you have the choice, FM is the better system of the two. 2.4 is something altogether different with its own inherent advantages. I usually run alone or with 1 - 3 others. Its never been a prob with FM. If you're going to run with enough others that frequency conflicts could be a prob, 2.4 would be a better choice eliminating any conflicts right from the start.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

AM - amplitude modulation
FM - frequency modulation
DSM - Digital Spectrum modulation

radio waves are like waves in a pool and receivers would be like the waves hitting the edge of the pool. an AM receiver get information from how high the waves hit the side/receiver. FM receiver would get info from how far apart the waves are to one another.
AM can have different 'channels' because the distance between the waves is constant for each channel. FM would be opposite, the wave height is the constant for different channels. AM is good for long distance communication whereas FM can hold more information.
DSM is basically encoded/encrypted transmission so only your receiver will 'communicate' with your radio so there is no need for different channels or frequencies.
So with DSM you never need to worry about two people being on the same 'channel' and cars going 'Crazy' because the frequency is 'scrambled' and unique for every radio and reciever that are 'Binded' together.
Think that makes sense?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duster_360
About 3yrs ago, I was running one of my 18th scale brushless trucks in and around a brushpile just to see how much of it I could climb around on. Well, I caught a stick just right and punctured the lipo. I saw it start to smoke and knew right away what'd happened. I got to it, pulled shell off and pull lipo out and tossed it onto my driveway. It was still smoking and about 10sec later, it really started to release thick, white cottonball type smoke so think you couldn't see thru it. There was an incredible amount of smoke - it brought my neighbors outside to see what was going on. Lasted about 45sec and then started to die off. It left a big black soot print on the drive way, but I never saw flames. It did get hot, you could feel theheat from it radiateing from teh driveway. It would have metled the chassis in my RC. It waslike the lipo was oxidizing pretty agressively. Notinmg close to an explosion like I've seen years ago when lipo powered planes would crash.

I've just seen a utube vid of someone poking a hole and then shooting a hole through a lipo and then picking it up and holding it. Nothing hapenned. These are way safer than they used to be and will keep getting safer as they experiment with the internal lipo media and find formulas that are 'incident' proof. And I might point out, my incident was entirely my fault. Don't be put off lipo by safety issues, they are less dangerous than NiMH in my opinion. Those can go off like a small grenade showering everyone around with metl shrapnel.

AM or FM - I've run both and had probs with glitching and interference on AM. FM is less susceptible to interference and noise related probs than AM. I think you get better range with FM as well. If you have the choice, FM is the better system of the two. 2.4 is something altogether different with its own inherent advantages. I usually run alone or with 1 - 3 others. Its never been a prob with FM. If you're going to run with enough others that frequency conflicts could be a prob, 2.4 would be a better choice eliminating any conflicts right from the start.

yeah. i think i might have an idea on LiPos now. i think i may just as well do a research on how to take care of them properly as well.
i saw a couple of vids on youtube about LiPos catching fire or "puff"ing and smoking.
and i saw those LiPo bags to put the batts while charging to contain the batteries once this happens.
and i may also dig in about the chargers as well. like all those stuff about balancing.
well thnks for you help mate. really appreciate it..
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

radio waves are like waves in a pool and receivers would be like the waves hitting the edge of the pool. an AM receiver get information from how high the waves hit the side/receiver. FM receiver would get info from how far apart the waves are to one another.
AM can have different 'channels' because the distance between the waves is constant for each channel. FM would be opposite, the wave height is the constant for different channels. AM is good for long distance communication whereas FM can hold more information.
DSM is basically encoded/encrypted transmission so only your receiver will 'communicate' with your radio so there is no need for different channels or frequencies.
So with DSM you never need to worry about two people being on the same 'channel' and cars going 'Crazy' because the frequency is 'scrambled' and unique for every radio and reciever that are 'Binded' together.
Think that makes sense?

oh ok.. still processing in this tiny brain of mine..
so the thing is. if i go DSM there is no way any other radio and reciever would have the same frequency as mine. even if we have the same model? same type of transmitter?
and also once i turn on the radio and reciever is it automatic to get my frequency?
and also does it have to be a spektrum brand reciever to make the spektrum radio work? or its ok if i use other DSM brands as well?
i think this is pretty stupid to ask. Is spektrum the only manufacturer which is producing DSM products? really sorry for all of this..
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Think that makes sense?
so the thing is. if i go DSM there is no way any other radio and reciever would have the same frequency as mine. even if we have the same model? same type of transmitter?
and also once i turn on the radio and reciever is it automatic to get my frequency?
and also does it have to be a spektrum brand reciever to make the spektrum radio work? or its ok if i use other DSM brands as well?
i think this is pretty stupid to ask. Is spektrum the only manufacturer which is producing DSM products? really sorry for all of this..
as brodie said, once your new transmitter and receiver are bound (bind) together (it's a process discussed in the radio's user manual, and a procedure you have to do) then the "become friends" to each other and you will have no more frequency worries. basically, a DSM system searches for a "open frequency" when you turn it on, and after you have yours on anyone else that turns on on will have to search for their own open frequency. so, once you have your radio set up there is no way another radio (regardless the brand) can mess up yours.

there are other brands using DSM technology, but unless they're made by Spektrum (like the Losi radios) there is no guarantee they will cooperate/communicate with Spektrum equipment. For example, the Futaba FAST dsm stuff doesn't.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Another Newbie

Hi! I'm also a newbie...just bought my first kit over the weekend and yes it's been a lot of fun over the past few days that I've had it (been going home early from work to tinker and test the limits of the kit - a 2nd hand TT01).

I'm not too happy with my TX/RX though as it came with a super old (from the looks of it) Futaba AM TX/RX. I'm looking to update it - any suggestions on what brand/model of TX/RX I should get?

I'm looking for something that I can use for competitions without worrying about frequencies and at the same time is inexpensive...
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just to update this thread
DethRC has an HPI E10 and is looking for some electronics and radio if anyone has some good gear for a Stoked little Grommit I'm sure he would not mind a PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by jbryanv
I'm not too happy with my TX/RX though as it came with a super old (from the looks of it) Futaba AM TX/RX. I'm looking to update it - any suggestions on what brand/model of TX/RX I should get?

I'm looking for something that I can use for competitions without worrying about frequencies and at the same time is inexpensive...

there really are no cheap/competition-worthy tx/rx combos out there.

keep in mind, as with most things, in this hobby "you get what you pay for!"

if you're curious about other radio sets, so as to educate yourself, it might be advisable for you to read up on the Radio Equipment section of this forum - lots of good info there
Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Hey there. I can answer all of your questions. If you get a DSM (2.4 gHz) you will NEVER get interference. I run a DX 2.0 and i regret not getting an Airtronics MX-Sport. Everything about it is better and it is cheaper ($100)
If you get a DSM then you will have to follow the simple "binding" instructions. It is somethin like "turn on transmitter, press bind button on the back... turn on reciever and press bing button and hold etc." If you get a a DSM, simply put, get the same exact receiver as you already had. And none of those were dumb questions, i asked the same thing a while back
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jbryanv
Hi! I'm also a newbie...just bought my first kit over the weekend and yes it's been a lot of fun over the past few days that I've had it (been going home early from work to tinker and test the limits of the kit - a 2nd hand TT01).

hey matey.
those kits are epic! been hearing good stuff bout it. will get one after i finished tinkering with me E10s.
uhmm bout the radio gear. might as well get some Spektrum tx rx.
im lookin for one as well.
particularly the Spektrum dx 2.0
DSM technology means u never have to worry bout interference and setting your frequency.
its a later model so you can get good one for about 90-170usd. i was lookin through a few on the For Sale/Trade forum.
i have learned a lot about these thanks to all these great guys who replied in my thread.

Welcome to this hobby. I hope you will enjoy this as i am really enjoyed by this now..
and btw, do u drift your TT-01?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC8daBOMB
Hey there. I can answer all of your questions. If you get a DSM (2.4 gHz) you will NEVER get interference. I run a DX 2.0 and i regret not getting an Airtronics MX-Sport. Everything about it is better and it is cheaper ($100)
If you get a DSM then you will have to follow the simple "binding" instructions. It is somethin like "turn on transmitter, press bind button on the back... turn on reciever and press bing button and hold etc." If you get a a DSM, simply put, get the same exact receiver as you already had. And none of those were dumb questions, i asked the same thing a while back

ahh.. i have fully understand about the "binding" now.
im still a bit confused about the other DSM products compatibility with the Spektrum though. is there ones that will work with the spektrum or others that will not work with it. for instance, im using the Spektrum transmitter and im using another branded reciever.
and lastly servos. does it have to be spektrum also?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by justanotherdude
there really are no cheap/competition-worthy tx/rx combos out there.

keep in mind, as with most things, in this hobby "you get what you pay for!"

if you're curious about other radio sets, so as to educate yourself, it might be advisable for you to read up on the Radio Equipment section of this forum - lots of good info there

Oh ok yeah I'll take a look at that thread! I've learned a lot already just reading everybody's posts. Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.