Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need Professional help with Durable Plastic chassis parts. What material ? >

Need Professional help with Durable Plastic chassis parts. What material ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By the rc guy

Need Professional help with Durable Plastic chassis parts. What material ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Default Need Professional help with Durable Plastic chassis parts. What material ?

I did not find any Projekt or Build section here.

So i try here at Rookie zone, anyways i need help from Professionals that knows about plastics.

This is not 3D print, i dont own a printer.
I need buy material, sheet of plastic, use dremel, and drill holes and use a drillsink.

i HAVE one plastic chassis car that i love. Only problem is that the stock Chassis Skid plates sucks, everything else with this car is great.
These crack many times in rear, you must always buy front and rear 13bucks, im tired doing this now. i have done it 4x now

The stock part is way to poor quality.
I like to buy a sheet of very strong Plastic material, 3mm thick. And dremel out and drill screw holes, make one part self that will last like 4ever.

What material do i need ?
I have found 3mm Lexan cheet 300mm x 300mm cheap less than 10bucks
also Poly 3mm 300mm x 300mm about same price.

This is how the stock parts look. VERY Weak plastic sadly. Everytime i do Rollover in 40mph + the rear skid-plate cracks in two pieces. I must fix this issue to save my driveline and rear diff also.
There is sadly no Hop Ups made for this. And this happen many times in cold weather like 40F*

I dont want it flex too much, some flex is ok. And this cant be done in metal because then the whole plastic chassis it self will start crack i believe.

Maybe Lexan and Poly is both wrong ? These are clear material or white.

Black would be best, anyways most important is that it is awaible in 3mm small sheets less than 500mm in size
it must be minium 150mm x 150mm , max 500mm

Material needs to be strong, and medium plus flex, not like steel, and not soft either
It must work also Ice cold winters, and hotsummers

Something like the plastic RPM use would be nice, that dont flex too much, and that does not crack easy in cold or hot weather use.

Half of the plate is about 2mm other half 3mm , i have Bandsaw, so this is not a problem.
I can fix everything self.
I only need help with What plastic Material i need buy. a sheet 3-4mm thick
What plastic is very strong ? for cold and hot weather, medium+ flex, not too hard, not soft either . Medium-plus flex will be best for this, something between medium and hard

Any ideas what to use ? I really love this car other than this, this is the only weak thing with this car, and it is very fun to drive also.
I need fix this ASAP.
Please help

Last edited by flymetonight; 04-11-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

id try delrin
flymetonight likes this.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:21 PM
Suspended

I did read about Delrin, great tip.

Great material, only sad thing is that i can not find it in 3mm sheets here.
Delrin is also awaible as filament to 3D writers i saw. In future i will buy 3d printer.

I did found cheap 3mm sheet of Polycabonate locally.
I did read that this is also a strong material, Not strong as Delrin.
Anyways it must be better than the stock parts that breaks for me.

Poly is 30x stronger than Lexan. PMMA and Acrylic.
it handles also icy cold weather well, -4 °F and hot conditions up to 180 °F

Dirt cheap also
6 bucks for 300x300mm x 3mm thick
I can make both front and end piece of this.

It handle also drilling holes well. and you can form it with heat gun at 450 °F also

I will give it a try, and i will tell after couple weeks how it works for me. I will buy it this Friday, and make the pieces and fit them on my car saturday. Then drive it and do some roll overs to see how it handles my car
Old 04-11-2023, 02:35 PM
Tech Lord

Epoxy or also known as glassfiber/FRP

Dibond can also be an option.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Suspended

i did not find any epoxy here

I did search alot about this today.
Now i know the best material to make parts like skidplates, and other stuff in that size to RC Cars, Got this info from another Hardcore basher

High-density polyethylene (HDPE) or polyethylene high-density (PEHD)
This is what you want.
Color is black, there is sheets anything from 2mm up to 10mm

3-4mm is great for skidplates, in light weight 1/8 cars, and 1/10 cars
4mm in medium rigs, like 1/8 buggy
5-6mm in heavy rigs like 1/7-1/6 scale

This material is used in Ice Hockey rings, also in Horse boxes, you know how hard horses can kick.
Also snowracers and other things.
Material is insanly strong, handles grinding to asphalt with ease
insane low temps, and no issues with heat either.
It does flex some also

And you can bend it with high heat from heat gun,
Saw is very easy with electric saw, also drilling, it handle all chemicals also

This is what you want 100%

i did get this info from another hardcore basher at the new forum im in.
This guy do also make special parts to others, and he sells also, and use self.
This material is insane, the very best to these kind of RC Parts he said. !!! 100%
I did see some videos also. This material takes insane / SICK Extrem Bashing ,and hard crash abuse !!!

Whole chassis you want Carbon or 7075 alu.
Parts less than 8inch you want this special plastic 100% like skidplates in my case.
Or wing mounts, bumpers, and so on.

i did buy and try Plexi. it is crap. Buy only this HDPE / PEHD both are same thing, two names. And you will be
very happy.
This material is proven by many hardcore bashers.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you are making flat pieces, like the ones pictured, I would make them out of fiberglass or carbon fiber. Then you can watch everything around it get destroyed.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:33 AM
Suspended

If this car had carbon or alu chassies, then yes maybe go fiber/carbon at these parts.

This car has plastic tubechassies, it is the 4s HPI / Maverick 1/8 rally car.
So i need skidplates that flexes some. And after long reading and chearching
and taling with one professional hop up part maker, the best is HDPE / PEHD
in my Case 100% the parts are not 100% flat either, i must do a 1mm bend at middle
use heat gun.

this is the Car, i have the Yellow, this is the blue one. Fun cars. And cheap. Just need
better skidplates.

Down here is my Personal cars, i have from same series the Street car / parking alot racer
That is lower
and the Yollow rally soft offroad, both 1/8 and dirt cheap.
I need make the better skids to both cars, most important to this Rally first, it can roll sometimes
because high suspension, the street car har about 5mm lover shocks, and it stays more
down to ground. So i dont have panic with that one yet.

Rally i need fix ASAP, the street car to summer, about 1month more i can wait and start
that work then.

i use 3s lipo only, because i have change the stock motors to 3675 with abou 800kv more each. So they do 4s performance on 3s, keep it light weight with 3s hardcase packs
The stock motors from these i will have in 1/10 MTs with 4s weight is no issue in MTs

Old 04-15-2023, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

I see many online suppliers that have 1/8 delrin. dont know where your at since you failed to complete profile correctly. have one of the 2 people that like you send it to you after you buy it
Old 04-15-2023, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Is that delrin black ?

Anyways, this HDPE / PEHD
Is amazing i have seen, and it is black in color, Also easy to work on. Use Electric saw, and drilling is no problems either. Delrin is super hard. I believe it is hell saw and drill. And if it is White too,
that is very off.

Im very afraid that Delrin is not easy to work on. I dont got any special tools, and no good stuff that can press and hold the sheat either.
HDPE is very easy work on, you dont need any special tools, and this material is mega durable, and have some flex also.

Delrin is good for Spurgears and other stuff i know.
Maybe not to skidplates.

I have RPM skidplates in my 1/8 Kraton 6s and Talion 6s, they flex , and RPM is the best.
Maybe RPM is made of HDPE, looks very same, finish also.

about motors. I did write totally wrong, must been tired or something.
These are 4s cars, and comes stock with 3674 2250kv motor. 17t pinion
I like to use big 3s Hardcase lipos, to keep the weight down, and have better balance in the cars.
To use 3s i have 20t pinion in both cars.
In Rally car the FLUX RX 4s i have Racestar 3670 size 2650kv motor. stock 120a ESC. This goes about 1-2mph Faster with new motor, pinon , on 3s. than this car did stock on 4s
In R Flux,4s the street truck i have Xteam 3674 3270kv motor , stock 120a ESC. This goes Faster on 3s with 20t pinion and new high KV motor than stock on 4s.

Both are insane if you drive them 4s , they both are 4s capable motors. and Waterproof.
I like them on 3s now.
Speedrunning i do with my Limitless 1/7 8s , these are heavy , with 400mm + wheelbase, these handle speedruns very well, the HPI Mavericks are only 325mm wheels base light weight 1/8 cars.
Like 1/8 buggies in size.

Now you all know what i run in these cars.

Sorry for this offtopic, maybe fun to know, if some of you have one, or will buy one. and maybe use 3s like me. There is then cheap motors for this from Aliexpress.
20t pinion is max size, you need buy that option super adjustable alu motormount if you want bigger pinion, there is no need for that with higher kv motors.
Or if you go stock combo, and use 4s put max 19t pinion, you will still have good temps.

I will write how i like the new HDPE skidplates i will make self to these cars.
I start with the rally car, i need drive atleast 5-6 packs, then i can tell.
ill be back in 2 weeks and tell here
Old 03-20-2024, 05:16 PM
Tech Rookie

For a durable skid plate for your car chassis, you might want to consider materials known for their high impact and abrasion resistanceUHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) is a popular choice due to its toughness and is often used in industrial applications. It’s also very resistant to cracking, which seems to be the issue you’re facing with the current skid plates. As far as software is concerned, Autodesk Building Design Suite promo code will always help you out. Another option could be Jabroc, a high-density wood laminate that is used for skid plates in racing due to its predictable wear characteristics and it’s lighter and less expensive than carbon fiber2. It’s non-conductive and non-sparking, which increases safety.

Last edited by natoh; 03-26-2024 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Carbon fiber is the best option. No special tools required.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

My local plastics company has a room in the back with racks of scraps of everything imaginable. Available to the public & cheap. Helpful staff there to point out what might work for you too. Check around your area.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by natoh
For a durable skid plate for your car chassis, you might want to consider materials known for their high impact and abrasion resistanceUHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) is a popular choice due to its toughness and is often used in industrial applications. It’s also very resistant to cracking, which seems to be the issue you’re facing with the current skid plates. As far as software is concerned, Autodesk Building Design Suite promo code will always help you out. Another option could be Jabroc, a high-density wood laminate that is used for skid plates in racing due to its predictable wear characteristics and it’s lighter and less expensive than carbon fiber2. It’s non-conductive and non-sparking, which increases safety.
This question is a year old, and by a user who has been suspended. I doubt they will see your response.