Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
First Ever Drift Build TT01 Chassis Major Help Needed!! >

First Ever Drift Build TT01 Chassis Major Help Needed!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Ever Drift Build TT01 Chassis Major Help Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 07:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First Ever Drift Build TT01 Chassis Major Help Needed!!

So I am brand new to the RC scene and have always wanted to build a drift car. I have managed to get a chassis which is a Tamiya TT01 which I can hopefully transform bit by bit. Straight away I have a few questions about this chassis, the person who I got it from wasn't sure what variant of the TT01 it was, does anyone know how to tell the difference?? Also, I notice the two front wheels are really off centre is there any reason he would have it set up like this for drifting and how can this be adjusted?? Any help greatly appreciated 😁
Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here a few resources that may help you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiya_TT-01
https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

Basically all versions of the Tamiya TT-01 are built off the exact same plastic tub chassis design. The more basic versions of the car will come with a plastic drive shaft, fixed plastic upper a-arms, plastic dog bones, plastic friction dampers, and fixed plastic turnbuckles on the steering. The more upgraded cars will have a blue aluminum drive shaft, adjustable upper a-arms, metal dog bones, plastic oil-filled dampers, and aluminum turnbuckles on the steering.

One quick note about the dog bones, the metal and plastic dog bones will require different input cups into the diffs and axles to the wheels. You can compare these when looking at the basic TT-01 manual and the more upgraded TT-01R Type E..

Another thing to note is that many of the TT-01 kits come with no rear toe-in. This is fine for general playing around or drifting. However for racing it is nice to have some rear toe-in. Tamiya part# 53673 are plastic rear uprights that will give the car a total of 2 degrees rear toe-in. Kits like the TT-01R Type E came with 2 degrees of rear toe-in.

Since the TT-01 is a well established model, there are plenty of upgrades made for it by Tamiya as well as many aftermarket companies. In fact there are so many aftermarket parts that it is possible to build an entire vehicle that contains very few parts made by Tamiya! However you should always keep in mind that not all upgrades or aftermarket parts are needed or necessary to have fun. A basic 4wd drive vehicle really only requires good drift wheels for the surface you are drifting on and the option to lock the rear diff (using a spool or putty/glues).

The only upgrade that I would recommend is an upper deck. The E versions of the kit came with a plastic upper deck that integrates with the front steering posts and is Tamiya part# 51319. The older kits had an optional carbon fiber deck Tamiya part# 53672, but it has been discontinued from Tamiya. Basically the upper deck will keep the chassis from excessively flexing which can help the car to perform more consistently.

I hope this information helps.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is some additional information.

Drifting with r/c 4wd vehicles is a much different experience that drifting with r/c rwd vehicles since 4wd vehicles tend to have under-steer. As I mentioned in my previous post, many people will lock their rear diff when drifting a 4wd vehicle, which can help the car slid out during drifting. There are many ways to create a locked rear diff in a TT-01, such as after market spools or diff lockers. However the easiest ways to lock the rear diff is using putty or glues. Here is a good discussion about doing this with a TT-01 on this forum...

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/ind...-a-tt-01-diff/

Another thing that r/c drifters typically do is alter their front steering geometry which is sometimes referred to a counter steering mods. Here is a short thread on RCTECH.net that talks about some drift mods and also has a good picture of someone who modded their front steering for more throw.

TT-01E Drifting

One limitation of a stock TT-01 is that it has limited steering throw. This is in part due to the steering stops built into steering knuckles. Many people will alter this part to get more steering out of their TT-01s. However if you do any steering modifications I would highly recommend getting CVD's/universals for the front of the car such as Tamiya part# 53792. There are also aftermarket companies that make these. Having a universal/CVD in the front end will prevent you from losing dog bones a extreme steering angles.

No matter how you decide to use your TT-01, it is a good base platform for running on the street, drifting, or even entry level racing (or beyond). You should be able to find plenty of examples of people online who have probably setup or upgraded their TT-01 to do whatever you want. The only thing I would caution is to set yourself a budget for your project. For example, a TT-01 can be made into a good drifter but may require some upgrades. For the cost of those upgrades including the car itself, you may be able to buy a more dedicated r/c drifter that may perform better.

Hope this information helps.