Wiki Posts
Search

Electric R/C - wont go forward

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Electric R/C - wont go forward

Hi Guys,

To start with - unfortunately I know probably less than nothing about RC cars. I have purchased this "cheapish" RC car for my very young boy to play with (3.5 year old - he loves the car and can handle it to my surprise). The car is : BG1525 (i'm not allowed to post URLs, but you can find youtube video of this RC very easily). It was going nice for a few weeks, playing two times per day, until a few days back when it stopped going forward only after 10 seconds of playing. The surface was a little wet from previous night rain, but no muddy pudles or anything like that.
- it turns the wheels w/out problem
- it drives backwards w/out problem
- if I try going fwd, the front wheels kind of twitch or try to re-act for some unknown reason.
I've recorded a video of this, but it is too large to post obviously, I've copied it to onedrive, but again, not allowed to post URLs...
I'd put my money on the only "electronic" part which is receiving the signal from the remote control (I found this part on a chinese online shop wl-toys.com, part name DZDB04 - receiver and circuit board) - I'm assuming some water splashed on it.
Could you please review and suggest what might be reason? if it is the circuit board or something else perhaps?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2021, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

First you should try and spin the motor to make sure it and the drivetrain doesn't have anything binding. Maybe something in the transmission is broken. I can't tell from the pictures of this RC if you can access the motor easily. Another test if you have a voltmeter is to see if the motor is actually getting voltage when the trigger is pulled.

But my guess is they use very cheap electronics and electronics are bad.

Does it go in reverse?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Your problem could be mechanical, electrical, or both.

First thing I would do is make sure the car is clean and clear of any debris. Take the body off and shake out any dirt/debris over an empty tote or large towel in case any loose parts come off the car. It is possible that dirt/debris can work their way under any protective covers and into the motor, so make sure to check those areas as well.

Next I would manipulate by hand all moving parts on the car to check of any binding or unusual noises. It is possible you might have broken gears/parts inside of a diff case. You might also have bent or loose components in the drive line such as cvd roll pins or the dog bones.

If you have ruled out any mechanical issues, the next step it to troubleshoot electronics. It appears that the BG1525 vehicle may come with a combo motor/speed control, servo control, and radio receiver. While it may not be possible to find a replacement board, it is possible that either the servo or motor may be the issue if they got wet. Try disconnecting the motor or servo separately and see if you are experiencing any electronic issue. A defective servo can cause electronic issues if it is drawing too much power. It may also get very warm to the touch. A bad motor that is shorting can also cause issues. Many times it is possible to find upgrade or replacement servos and motors for these types of vehicles.

Unfortunately since these types of vehicles aren't considered race vehicles, fixing or replacing bad components can be difficult or impossible. Sometimes the best option is to buy 2 of the same vehicle and use the second one for parts only. This may not be economically practical. If the R/C hobby is something you or your family enjoy I would highly recommend buying products from companies that support the racing community such as Team Associated, Team Losi, Traxxas, etc. to name a few. While products from these companies might cost slightly more up front, they usually come with much better parts support which sometimes include limited replacement warranties on electronics.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to ask for additional help on these forums as there are always people willing to help out with advice or solutions.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I had the same problem and all I had to do is bash my car on the wall