Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help with understanding analyzer >

Help with understanding analyzer

Help with understanding analyzer

Old 07-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Help with understanding analyzer

Hello, so I need some help understanding all the numbers and that with a motor analyzer. I purchased the sky rc one to start to understand it. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You're going to get a bunch of replies contridicting each other. I follow Nick Adams on Youtube. He still recommends maxing the timing to 6 amps and locking it down. Look him up. Also run a fan and get a temp gun.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Measurements as it relates to understanding a motor

current-induces torque in the motor. the efficiency of this current to force inducing measurement varies. at most probably 70% efficient on a curve starting at 1 to 70 then back down to 1. Efficiency can be limited by over or under timing. friction, inertia, and mechanical efficiencies add to or remove current.

voltage-the higher the voltage the higher the rpm can go. the opposite is true as well.

timing-the rotor has a magnetic center on each magnetic pole. the timing is the distance the centerpoint is from the sensor that senses it. there are 3 sensors and more than 1 pole.

Kv-RPMs per volt or a prediction of max rpm.

Db-sound pressure of the motor

Old 07-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech View Post
You're going to get a bunch of replies contridicting each other. I follow Nick Adams on Youtube. He still recommends maxing the timing to 6 amps and locking it down. Look him up. Also run a fan and get a temp gun.
cant tune everything to 6amps. My Schuurspeed v4 tunes at 3.5. I know theres a lot of motors out now that tune to @ 3 now.
The more I have an analyzer the more I think it's pretty worthless. It's good to get an initial tune on it I guess but with gearing, timing boost etc, it doesnt do a whole lot of good. Maybe to do motor comparisons like Nick. I used to do quite a bit of tuning on them, but not so much anymore. I almost blew up a motor once cuz I tuned it to 6amps. I think it was an smc. Yeah, no bueno.
I use it to just get a base setting then go from there. I guess that doesnt answer your question lol!! Sorry.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I bought one but still do not fully understand the numbers or what I'm should be looking for lol
Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

call the motor mfg and ask them what timing and Kv they recommend for your setup. Ask them a starting point for gearing.