• 1 Post By killer rock
  • 1 Post By the rc guy
  • 1 Post By GerryH

Icharger X6 Input Voltage Issues

Old 07-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Icharger X6 Input Voltage Issues

I'm getting back into RC after close to 20 years so I've been researching and collecting things to get back into the hobby. While researching around for chargers, I settled on the Icharger X6 as it seemed like a very capable product and relatively cheap. Along with the charger, I purchased an RL 12V 75A 900W power supply to power the unit. I have read through the manual and gone through the set up as I best as I could understand it, but I am still having issues with charging my lipo batteries. As i am charging, after a few minutes I receive the error "input over voltage".

While this seems like a pretty straight-forward message, I still do not understand what I am doing wrong to trigger this error. In accessing the parameter setup, I've chosen 12.35V/35.0A/800W - Not regenerative for the setting and during charging, the input voltage reads anywhere from 12.1 - 12.3V. It will charge at ~15 or so amps for a few minutes and will then trigger the alarm. Am I missing something in a setting? I just want to be able to charge a battery without it stopping and having to reset and start the charging again. Any input or guidance is very appreciated!

-bigloonuh
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

What might be happening. Is you charger is sagging the voltage on the rail faster then you computer power supply can push it back up. check your input voltage with a multimeter while charging. Your power supply and you'll see what I'm mean. If this happens to be the case Either charging at a lower amps. Or getting a bigger power supply. Should fix it.
bigloonuh likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

choose a higher input voltage on ur X6.like 12.5v..keep amp at same.
bigloonuh likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by killer rock
What might be happening. Is you charger is sagging the voltage on the rail faster then you computer power supply can push it back up. check your input voltage with a multimeter while charging. Your power supply and you'll see what I'm mean. If this happens to be the case Either charging at a lower amps. Or getting a bigger power supply. Should fix it.
That’s a good idea to actually verify the voltage on the PS, I see what you mean. I’ll definitely check it out and try to set it accordingly.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy
choose a higher input voltage on ur X6.like 12.5v..keep amp at same.
Thanks for the advice, I did actually play around with setting the voltage parameters lower and it gave me the opposite error code “input under voltage”. I guess I just need to play around with it some more.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by bigloonuh
Thanks for the advice, I did actually play around with setting the voltage parameters lower and it gave me the opposite error code “input under voltage”. I guess I just need to play around with it some more.
you dont play with things you adjust input voltage levels correctly
Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy
you dont play with things you adjust input voltage levels correctly
Noted and I’ll rephrase. I’ll adjust the voltage parameters until I can find the correct setting.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That power supply shouldn't have any problems supplying more than enough amps for that charger under full load without much decrease in voltage. That being said, all those server power supplies are used. When I was selling my own version, I'd put them under heavy load for 5 min to make sure the voltage remained within range. It should be putting out around 12.3v without load.

But your original 12.35V/35.0A/800W setting has the low voltage too low. The default is 7v. You might have an issue with a sudden current load momentarily drops the voltage on the PS before it can compensate. Go back to defaults on the input and power limits. Those should only be changed when you're using a battery as a power source.
bigloonuh likes this.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GerryH
That power supply shouldn't have any problems supplying more than enough amps for that charger under full load without much decrease in voltage. That being said, all those server power supplies are used. When I was selling my own version, I'd put them under heavy load for 5 min to make sure the voltage remained within range. It should be putting out around 12.3v without load.

But your original 12.35V/35.0A/800W setting has the low voltage too low. The default is 7v. You might have an issue with a sudden current load momentarily drops the voltage on the PS before it can compensate. Go back to defaults on the input and power limits. Those should only be changed when you're using a battery as a power source.
Thanks for the input! It makes a lot of sense and I guess I was trying to overthink that whole thing maybe. I’ll definitely try this out.